Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greywulff

Archive Observation Hive

These are a couple of Ob Hives the students and I built in 2011 for the school! Fully assembled English type. [attachment=1856:name] 5 Frame nuc underneath with the single frame in the observation panel. [attachment=1857:name] Observation panel open allowing the glass to slide out and you can see the ventilation in the lid. [attachment=1858:name] Entrance/Exit is open. [attachment=1859:name] Entrance/Exit is closed securely. [attachment=1860:name] Observation panel open with front glass removed and frame showing the Queen Excluder which keeps here in the top observation panel. [attachment=1861:name] This ob' hive is easy to run as a nuc all year you just replace the Ob' panel with a nuc hive mat and nuc roof.

This is the second type we built more American based. [attachment=1866:name] Feeding Panel Closed [attachment=1863:name] Feeding panel open. [attachment=1862:name] Feeding with inverted jar feeder lolol.... [attachment=1864:name] Entrance/Exit open. [attachment=1865:name] Very narrow Ob Hive needing a wide heavy base for stability also awkward to transport! [attachment=1867:name] Been filled with four frames. [attachment=1868:name]

[quote name='Greywulff'] Observation panel open with front glass removed and frame showing the Queen Excluder which keeps here in the top observation panel. [ATTACH=full]1218[/ATTACH] This ob' hive is easy to run as a nuc all year you just replace the Ob' panel with a nuc hive mat and nuc roof.[/quote] These are things of beauty and high utility. The 'english' one in mahogany looks like a 19th C pharmacist's kit. Gorgeous. Cheers

Thanks Roger (y)..... My timber work needs a bit of fine tuning as I'm sure you can see. Would love to build one like this [attachment=1870:name] with an external entrance / exit..... What does a 19th c Pharmacist kit look like

[quote="phill-k, post: 11616, member: 128"]Love to see them tenanted[/quote] The last photo is tenanted but so much cooler in the flesh...

Congratulation, beautiful OB hives. I'm more and more excited to make one myself too(maybe next summer). Did you have any cover for those OB hives? I mean the bees want darkness so you'll remove the covers only when people watch the bees.

There is nothing wrong with your woodworking! You got great skills!(y) [quote name='Greywulff'] [ATTACH=full]1232[/ATTACH] with an external entrance / exit..... [/quote] Any chance you got the plans for this one or have you just got the picture? I'll give it a go building one of those!;)

[quote name='Greywulff']Just the picture but that's how the other two were born as well, just need the time.[/quote] spare time? :rofl: good one M8!

[quote name='Roger']These are things of beauty and high utility. The 'english' one in mahogany looks like a 19th C pharmacist's kit. Gorgeous. Cheers[/quote] I thought to myself "theres a great use for those ugly old pieces of mahogany future people are selling off , upcycled ob hives"

[quote name='dansar']I thought to myself "theres a great use for those ugly old pieces of mahogany future people are selling off , upcycled ob hives"[/quote] I await with anticipation to see your results:D

You are welcome to work with Mahogany Dansar. I would go with a nice NZ native. Totara for the Waikato would be ideal.

[quote="Trevor Gillbanks, post: 11743, member: 72"]You are welcome to work with Mahogany Dansar. I would go with a nice NZ native. Totara for the Waikato would be ideal.[/quote] True, would look awesome in Totara. Not a cheap timber though!

[quote name='Pbee']True, would look awesome in Totara. Not a cheap timber though![/quote] Plenty available if you mill it yourself as I do.

[quote="Trevor Gillbanks, post: 11750, member: 72"]Plenty available if you mill it yourself as I do.[/quote] M8 :D Totara is not cheap in Auckland - can tell you that! I have made a dining room table 4ft x 8ft with pews and used 1/2 m3. Had to pay an arm and a leg for the timber!

Yes. Native is around $4000 m3 I recover a lot of timber from the river. Have a look at my Avatar. Totara. 25m long 1.8m dia at base. 1.2 m at 25m mark. The photo is the log 3 m up from butt. A seriously big log. It took 3 weekend to mill the log into table to slabs 70mm thick Damned hard work. but a great reward.

[quote="Trevor Gillbanks, post: 11757, member: 72"] Damned hard work. but a great reward.[/quote] When I was living out in Piha, a freak wind had taken down 3 Macrocarpa on the property. Not as big as your Totara! Took us a day to set up and a week to mill all 3 trees. INSANE amount of work! But the slabs we got were massive. Wet timber is very heavy!!!:confused: And then you have to wait years and years to let them dry before you can use them. I DO understand why timber is so expensive!!!!;)

Cheers Trevor! Hard part of the setup, we had to get a Bulldozer to pull them around on the drive to get the guides in place! You sure are one who knows the game!!!!:D