I was just looking at my details on the apiweb site and under the apiary report the location of my hives is orange. From the key above that it means they're 3km away from AFB. Question is how do I find out where? Is it something I need to find/worry about?

I had the same question a year ago, but nobody from Asure Quality would return my emails! :(

You're not allowed to have that information. Privacy blah. No good complaining, we've all complained before.

Just make sure you keep an AFB eye on your bees.

I believe it means that some form of AFB hive (not necessarily robbed out) was found within the last two years. If no more is found within 2 years it should go black again.

I don't think it is anything you should worry about. Checking for AFB and avoiding doing things that spread AFB, are both things you should do as best you can regardless of whether someone else got AFB. On the other hand there are only so many hours in the day and you'd probably want to know when/where/if someone had AFB near you so you feel empowered to make extra checks or be extra careful about transferring any brood.

There are people out there that would come and burn your whole apiary if it was said that your apiary is where it was found. It's not always the finding beekeepers fault.....it's often the ignorant beekeeper down the road who had his AFB hive robbed out. Just be vigilant. ...always....the next couple of years will be bad with all the newbees in the game that haven't the experience to see it.

Arh dam, when I first saw that I read it wrong.

I thought it meant apiaries within 3km of me with afb.

That sucks a little bit.

Oh well, more reason to increase my inspection skills.

Now when I go looking for a new apiary site, am I going to break any rules by registering a new location before putting bees there just to find out if afb is in the area? It's not like I am going to do it 20 times. If I do it 3-5 times and find afb everywhere I'll likely just make do.

AFB is very hard to spread-wood work and robbing is the only way.

AFB is very hard to spread-wood work and robbing is the only way.

No. That is just 2 ways. Feeding honey is another way. Lots of ways to spread AFB

AFB can spread by contaminated boxes.frames. floors.mats. Hive tools. Swapping brood or any hive contents between colonies. Under processed wax being retrieved from crook hives to paint onto your frames. Mostly by us Beekeepers and seldom from the Bees themselves. Except for robbing which in most cases is poor Beekeeping practices which caused that. Honey being dribbled on the ground as you work. This stuff is the Bee equivalent of something like the Black Plague

• Like 1

Arh dam, when I first saw that I read it wrong.

I thought it meant apiaries within 3km of me with afb.

That sucks a little bit.

That infected paiary/hive could be reported 18months ago or last week. 3km radius is a huge area btw, and this number does not say it was your next door neighbour or somebody 2978m away behind the hills. It's rather an FYI measure to keep your guards steady on.

And one more thing, There are 3-4 apiaries (that I know of) in the close area for me, it was red when I registered mine last december, and unfortunately it's gonna be red for 2 yrs because of me. But it won't be redder than before. You have to be vigilant. We all have to be vigilant.

am I going to break any rules by registering a new location before putting bees there just to find out if afb is in the area?
It's not illegal.

I'm sure they wont appreciate adding and deleting apiaries left right and center tho.

I'm sure they wont appreciate adding and deleting apiaries left right and center tho.

Well you know what the answer is don't you. Red or not shouldn't make any difference to your AFB regime.