Janice

Hives sabotaged

This morning I see things are worse than I feared. There are piles of dead bees where the boxes were knocked down and we have a visit from Robbers R Us, with both hives under siege and pretty much no defences. I have closed them down to almost nothing but I don't think there are enough bees to save. I will try to combine the two when the siege dies down but right now it's fairly ugly out there.

In the meantime, across the paddock, it's a lovely sunny day and the other hive is going about its business quite happily.

Would a hive lock strap have helped prevent this vandalism?

Possibly. They would not have been able to separate the boxes easily.

In the meantime, across the paddock, it's a lovely sunny day and the other hive is going about its business quite happily.

Are they the robbers

So sorry to hear about your mess Janice. Hopefully combining the two into one will salvage a bad situation.

Possibly. They would not have been able to separate the boxes easily.

did you have three hives before

i hope they are your bees doing the robbing

Are they the robbers

No, there's just a gentle traffic in and out. Meanwhile it's like a battle scene from Lord of the Rings around the other two hives. The robbers are all over everything, even landing on the heaps of dead bees from when the boxes were tipped.

did you have three hives before

i hope they are your bees doing the robbing

Blowed if I know who's doing the robbing but I don't think I had this many bees with all three hives cranking.

Sorry to hear, kids being delinquents I reckon, hopefully they copped a few stings and learnt, I would hate to think is was anything more than this because then it gets scary. Wishing you and your bees the best.

Could it be feral pigs.

With the bees behaving like they were robbing is it possible they were knocked over before you went to work?

Only other thing that would end to bees behaving like that could be syrup left out by someone maybe laced with poison but then why would you poison and also knock hives over.

It sounds like the hives are too close to the house for idiots to knock them over .

That's a ###### alright Janice...I hope u find the culprit/culprits!

Sorry to hear.

Arohamai...too late to edit," that sucks" might be more allowable

• Like 1

The cameras at minimum are quite entertaining. We had a contortionist possum arrive at the same time at night to get its photo taken. Ebay they are considerably cheaper but 1day has had them on for around $150. There are also tile trackers. $40. I had one in the car and recieved a message and gps exactly where our car was sitting in the carpark. I had it labeled as .........hives so got a fright when the message came in 600km away.

• Like 2

Could it be feral pigs.

With the bees behaving like they were robbing is it possible they were knocked over before you went to work?

Only other thing that would end to bees behaving like that could be syrup left out by someone maybe laced with poison but then why would you poison and also knock hives over.

It sounds like the hives are too close to the house for idiots to knock them over .

The robbing carry-on started around lunchtime but the hives were still standing when I went to work around 2.

By about 4pm my husband saw them over and no animals had been in the paddock. The lady down the road said her back yard filled with bees between 3pm and 4pm and her girls came inside scared. That might have been the time it happened.

Another lady down the road reckons it will be something to do with the dope dealer next door - lots of things are.

The robbing carry-on started around lunchtime but the hives were still standing when I went to work around 2.
Might there have been a lid off or a crooked box but went unnoticed?

By about 4pm my husband saw them over and no animals had been in the paddock. The lady down the road said her back yard filled with bees between 3pm and 4pm and her girls came inside scared. That might have been the time it happened.

Another lady down the road reckons it will be something to do with the dope dealer next door - lots of things are.

Do you think he could have tried to stash some money or weed there and lifted a box to hide something and the plan unravelled

I had been into one of the hives the day before because it was a bit crooked and I wanted to straighten it all up, ironically in case of robbing. I went right through it while I was there, which is why it came to bits so easily the next day, I guess.

I had also checked there were no top entrances left open etc and reduced entrances on all three hives.

But I could have made a mistake - I often do. However, that doesn't explain the hives being tipped over. It's all so weird it makes my brain hurt.

Do you think he could have tried to stash some money or weed there and lifted a box to hide something and the plan unravelled

He has had stranger ideas. Usually just before he goes to jail.

It's weird alright. I guess the hives would be quite heavy so they haven't blown over in the wind.

We had half an apiary blown off a skid site once :(

Yes, they were heavy. I was about to take off a box of honey but the robbers have done that for me. :(

Yes, they were heavy. I was about to take off a box of honey but the robbers have done that for me. :(

I hope you find out what happened ,but you may never which will be particularly annoying cause you won't feel you can prevent it happening again.

And all your honey gone, I would be extremely pissed.

It's weird alright. I guess the hives would be quite heavy so they haven't blown over in the wind.

We had half an apiary blown off a skid site once :(

That must have been some wind !

Geez Janice I'm really sorry to hear that.

What horrible people.

I had some hives in kiwifruit pollination the year before last, they had tenants on the orchard and the grower wanted 4 hives about 50 metres from the house on the other side of the shelter belt, when I went back to pick them up I wondered why I was tripping over rocks and bricks so I got the torch out and they had been throwing all they could find at the hives, dinged them up a bit but they were ok in the end.

I was absolutely frothing at the mouth I nearly stormed in to their house at about midnight with a box full of angry bees.

But I just took my hives away and rang the grower and they got evicted, so nice not to have those people there last year.

I do not understand why people mess with beehives, the poor bees are just going about their business.

• Like 1

Hi Janice

I wonder if what happened to you, is the same thing that has happened to me (twice).

First time, a couple of years ago, I came back from holiday, and found a hive with the 2 top supers knocked off and down the bank. I thought someone must have pushed them over. I retrieved them and stuck the hive back together, even though it had obviously been robbed out. Back the next day - supers off again. They were just sliding off, even though they only had a slight forward tilt on them.

And just 2 weekends ago - worked a hive, put the heavy supers back on top of a clearance board. Started working on the hive next door - and then heard a crash. The supers had slid off the 1st hive over the front. Probably due to slight slope, broken seal, hot day and lots of weight on top. I put it back together but robbing starting on both hives. I put some weight on the back of the lid, hoping that would stop it moving - but while watching it, the supers very, very, very slowly started creeping forward again. Perhaps that is the stage you saw it, when you were on your way to work? A gap had opened at the back and the bees were all starting to get agitated.

Anyway, it was only when you said that you had been working the hives the day before, that made me think that could be a possible explanation. In a way, it would be good if it was - so you know there is no-one out to get your bees!

• Like 4