Janice

Hives sabotaged

I am at work right now and have just had a ring to say two of my hives have been pushed over. My husband says the bees are gone. These hives are in our front paddock less than 20m from the house and it has happened since I left for work at 1.30pm.

The bees had started behaving oddly this afternoon just before I left, flying everywhere as they do if they start robbing but not actually robbing. There were bees outside on every hive and stack of boxes and now I wonder if someone had put something in the hives earlier, then come back to finish the job.

I will ring the police tomorrow. Tonight I have to try to get the paper out but I am shaking and very upset.

What is the matter with people? I would be feeling exactly the same.

• Like 1

what the I CANT USE THE WORDS I WANT TO!?! If you need more bees cant cant find some locally I am happy to send you down some Nucs in spring (on the house :-( )

That sucks serious arse!

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that. This gets personal when you know someone affected in this manner.

I am at work right now and have just had a ring to say two of my hives have been pushed over. My husband says the bees are gone. These hives are in our front paddock less than 20m from the house and it has happened since I left for work at 1.30pm.

The bees had started behaving oddly this afternoon just before I left, flying everywhere as they do if they start robbing but not actually robbing. There were bees outside on every hive and stack of boxes and now I wonder if someone had put something in the hives earlier, then come back to finish the job.

I will ring the police tomorrow. Tonight I have to try to get the paper out but I am shaking and very upset.

Quite amazing that I was at an address in Hall Road re-assuring them that they had scouts bees probing but nothing to worry about. That was just after noon today.

Let's discuss in more detail tomorrow, hopefully the bees will have returned, and I have a very nice 3 box hive surplus to requirements.

Strange and sad.

Quite amazing that I was at an address in Hall Road re-assuring them that they had scouts bees probing but nothing to worry about. That was just after noon today.

Let's discuss in more detail tomorrow, hopefully the bees will have returned, and I have a very nice 3 box hive surplus to requirements.

Strange and sad.

There were scout bees probing everywhere at our place too. I have never seen such activity before.

I will restack the hives tonight when I get home but Bill said there were no bees left. What part of Hall Rd were you at?

how visible are the hives? sounds like the doings of someone nasty, glad you're getting the cops involved. Weird for the bees to be gone, unlike them to abandon brood in such a short time

That's outrageous, I am at a loss to understand why someone would do that

What would they hope to gain

If there was heavy robbing, that can cause bees to be all over the boxes, plus bees appearing to be "scouting" around nearby buildings and other objects.

Sounds strange that someone would push them over during daylight, is there stock in with them?

If there are dead bees laying around but it's not been robbed then it's probably poison.

If it does turn out to be done by people, most likely culprit will be a neighbour who got stung, got poo on window problems, or whatever, but doesn't feel like fronting up to discuss.

There is no stock in the paddock, so it was a person for sure.

The closest neighbour is upset - he says the bees are his friends. They were the ones who noticed the hives were vandalised and rang to tell us.

We have some rather unusual neighbours in the area but the hives have been in the same spot for years and everyone is used to them - or so I thought.

The activity today was so unusual I couldn't work it out. I even wondered if new bees were trying to move in.

You can't see the hives from the road, although you can see them from the driveway. But it's hard to believe someone would do that so close to the house when my husband was home.

how visible are the hives? sounds like the doings of someone nasty, glad you're getting the cops involved. Weird for the bees to be gone, unlike them to abandon brood in such a short time

They might not all be gone, but my husband is not a beekeeper and has never looked in a hive.

Once you got bees back up and running, best plan for peace of mind would be a game camera. You may get hit again but at least you'd know who did it.

Or closer to the house-they will be a lot harder to jack with if you can see it from the kitchen window....

• Like 1

Or closer to the house-they will be a lot harder to jack with if you can see it from the kitchen window....

You can see them from the lounge and the kitchen and one bedroom. . . but a game camera is a good idea as it would cover the house and vehicles as well.

• Like 1

You can see them from the lounge and the kitchen and one bedroom. . . but a game camera is a good idea as it would cover the house and vehicles as well.

That is some serious balls to jack with somebody's stuff in full sight of the house....

I wonder if there is any honey left. One of the hives had two boxes on yesterday.

I wonder if there is any honey left. One of the hives had two boxes on yesterday.

If there is I would say its been poisoned....

Oh man that's awful!! I hope that the bees gave the vandal a taste of their stingers!!!!

There were scout bees probing everywhere at our place too. I have never seen such activity before.

I will restack the hives tonight when I get home but Bill said there were no bees left. What part of Hall Rd were you at?

Round about the mid-30's, woman and her Dad there tidying up, nothing abnormal seen or heard.

Very strange all this.

Think it could be non-human with some beast intruding and pushing off ?

I just went and restacked the hives. There is just a handful of bees left in one and a few more in the other but there is still honey and brood, although everything is a terrible mess and a lot of robbing has gone on.

The robbing happened after the hives were tipped as the dead bees and cappings were on the lid - the bases just had the usual crud.

There are quite a few dead bees out the front of the weakest hive but not a hiveful by any means.

The top box was pushed off one hive but the other was right over - my best hive, too.

I am annoyed and puzzled. But it wasn't any of our animals - the sheep are two paddocks away and the chooks are not strong enough. I might have blamed a dog if we had one, but that doesn't explain the weird non-robbing non-swarming hordes of bees all over the place from late morning.

Another reason I don't think it was an animal is that one of the hives is tucked under a manuka bush (that's where the swarn landed) and it's hard to get at. I keep meaning to move it.

They were due for MAQS this week. I put it off a week as Flynn the AFB dog was going to visit and I didn't want to hurt his nose.

Kids Id say

Should be allowed a full recovery before going MAQS. If not enough time a different treatment may be safer.

I just went and restacked the hives. There is just a handful of bees left in one and a few more in the other but there is still honey and brood, although everything is a terrible mess and a lot of robbing has gone on.

The robbing happened after the hives were tipped as the dead bees and cappings were on the lid - the bases just had the usual crud.

There are quite a few dead bees out the front of the weakest hive but not a hiveful by any means.

The top box was pushed off one hive but the other was right over - my best hive, too.

I am annoyed and puzzled. But it wasn't any of our animals - the sheep are two paddocks away and the chooks are not strong enough. I might have blamed a dog if we had one, but that doesn't explain the weird non-robbing non-swarming hordes of bees all over the place from late morning.

Another reason I don't think it was an animal is that one of the hives is tucked under a manuka bush (that's where the swarn landed) and it's hard to get at. I keep meaning to move it.

They were due for MAQS this week. I put it off a week as Flynn the AFB dog was going to visit and I didn't want to hurt his nose.

That happened 20mtrs from your house ?!! That's as bad as someone coming into your house and vandalising it. I'm so sorry for your loss

I've seen this sort of damage from not very bright honey thieves but being that close to your house I find even that hard to imagine. Do contact the police. Winter can't be too far away down there, I would knocked the hives down to however many boxes the bees fit in and treat immediately for varoa as losing a lot of bees will only make the varoa worse. I would also reduce entrances down to no more than the 1 cm gap on either side of the entrance and provided there is no robbing stimulate breeding with a bit of sugar if there is no natural stimulation.

Some people just seem to enjoy vandalising hives, I used to have an apiary in a forestry block that where hives were pushed over once or twice a year by vehicle until I took to placing some Waratah standards in some bushes surrounding the hives at about radiator height. My father had 50 hives totally destroyed this year in a vehicle attack and it had to be another beekeeper because there were signs they got out and did further damage. Using hives for target practice used to be one of the most common causes of damage and vandalism is getting worse every year but most people still would never do such things.