Rob Stockley

AFB rob out or just AFB found?

Got this text overnight. AFB inspections will continue as normal for us. Just wondering if this means a rob out or just that an infected hive had been found?

Screenshot_2017-03-11-07-41-17.png.ca5b54e99c7c0ddd44b2f8ab535b0cab.png

Screenshot_2017-03-11-07-41-17.png.ca5b54e99c7c0ddd44b2f8ab535b0cab.png

Yep. Looks like there has been a Rob out within 3 km of you.

The warning is about as useful as boils on the butt

Second AFB alert near this apiary this season. Hope they got the source this time.

They do t usually alert unless it's been robbed out

I got the same text and an email

Fun times

Got the same text different part of the country Scary thing is I looked at these hives yesterday and thought that they where busy for this time of the year. They are at the mother in-laws I had planned to put some nucs there over winter I think I'll pass. It's not the first notice for this site as well hmmm

Is that for your home site, Rob? I've got one 1.3 km from you and haven't had a notice ... yet..

That might tell you the direction of the site with the robout.

Is that for your home site, Rob? I've got one 1.3 km from you and haven't had a notice ... yet..

Yes, our home site. I have another site just under 5km towards Clive. No notice there. Which direction is your site Dee? Last notice was near Howard St IIRC.

I'm on the intersection of St George' and Havelock.

Howard if I recall wasn't a robout notice, it was a local pollinator who had found an AFB hive that had worked that location?

Howard if I recall wasn't a robout notice, it was a local pollinator who had found an AFB hive that had worked that location?

Yes, Howard St is the other notice I was referring to. Not through official channels but a credible notice nonetheless.

So this AFB is inside 3km of me and outside 3km of three other apiaries I know of that didn't get a notice. This puts the incident somewhere between Te Mata Hills area and Arataki. There are a lot of urban hives in that area.

There are a lot of urban hives in that area.

That is the problem. The warning was not worth the email it was written on. It just makes the Management Agency say they have done something and scared a heap of beekeepers. Best policy for every beekeeper is to be vigilant at all times.

• Like 1

that didn't get a notice.

maybe. I don't tend to throw my cellphone around because I hate texting*, so it's quite likely I've not given it to the Agency... if you only got the notice a day ago there could yet be one in the snailmail for me.

*and interruptions... and sometimes people... have strong hermit genes.

maybe. I don't tend to throw my cellphone around because I hate texting*, so it's quite likely I've not given it to the Agency... if you only got the notice a day ago there could yet be one in the snailmail for me.

A very good point. So I can personally vouch for three sites, so dropping yours the area is .... pretty much most of Havelock North and half of Hastings :unsure:

That is the problem. The warning was not worth the email it was written on. It just makes the Management Agency say they have done something and scared a heap of beekeepers. Best policy for every beekeeper is to be vigilant at all times.

@Trevor Gillbanks I've added emphasis to your post.

I agree, these notices shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to how we manage our apiaries. My concern is that there are beekeepers out there who don't get the notices, don't know what AFB looks like, could be the source of the infection. How do we reach those beekeepers?

How do we reach those beekeepers?

We probably never will. There is none so ignorant as those who don't want to listen.

• Like 1

Got the email and text. Went onto Apiweb and my apiary page has lit up like a Christmas tree. In Havelock North and out around the Puketapu area.

Got this text overnight. AFB inspections will continue as normal for us. Just wondering if this means a rob out or just that an infected hive had been found?

[ATTACH=full]17125[/ATTACH]

The notification system works exactly the same way as the 'flag' system in APIWEB meaning that you will receive notification any time an AFB find is reported within 3km of one or more of your apiaries.

It is important to note that this is not the same as a rob out notice which is still sent as an email attachment. The difference is that a rob out report is notifying the potential source of disease, whereas AFB notifications simply advise of detections. The apiary where the AFB was reported is generally not the source of the disease (if it is, you will also receive a rob out notice).

Like the flag in APIWEB, this advises that there is potentially AFB in the area allowing you to alter the frequency and thoroughness of your inspection as you see fit.

Please be aware that the location of apiaries where AFB has been reported will not be disclosed as apiary location is privileged. However, it is hoped that these notifications will assist you in making more informed AFB disease management decisions.

Yes. I just got that also. That means the we will get notified of every reported AFB find within 3 km.

Rob outs will still be a separate notification.

Yes. I just got that also. That means the we will get notified of every reported AFB find within 3 km.

Rob outs will still be a separate notification.

Nice to know at least someone over there is reading the forum :P