anniiee

Black field cricket control

Hi everyone,

We have what seems like hundreds of these noisy critters in our lawns and they are starting to come into the house :mad:. Anybody got any ideas on how to get rid of them without poisoning our bees? The hives are all on the affected lawns :(:mad:.

Thank you :)

Get some turkeys.

Get some turkeys??????

They are all busy at the big beehive in Wellington........ mostly looking after their corporate mates.

we used to mix up the user friendly, oats/wheat in a concrete mixer mixed with maldision. nails em

I like crickets and would certainly not go out of my way to hurt them unless I needed some insectivorous food for one of my native rehabs. They are not particularly good swimmers so I suspect most of your problem will soon be floating away.

There are commercially available pesticides available.

I wouldn't bother though. Poison one lot, the neighbours move in.

Zillions of baby crickets emerge from the ground with rain after a dry spell .

The small ones are native and harmless. The big black ones are introduced pests and emerge that size and eat grass and it's roots overnight like locusts. As a kid any outside light or street lamp was a magnet. Millions upon millions congregating under each pool of light

The small ones are native and harmless. The big black ones are introduced pests and emerge that size and eat grass and it's roots overnight like locusts. As a kid any outside light or street lamp was a magnet. Millions upon millions congregating under each pool of light

Big old trout love them too

These are big critters, they started to get into my bedroom keeping us awake with their noise. I did look at the commercially available products but none of them are bee friendly :-(. Guess I'll have to hope they disappear in winter :whistle:

Put the bait on the ground or even better over a crack in the ground under a bucket. Bees will never see it