Trevor Gillbanks

Around the Apiary March 2017

Well, it has been hard out catching up on the forum, since I broke my little toe when it got too close to the coffee table.

Nectar still seems to be flowing nicely here in our corner of the BoP, sunny days and dewy nights make for busy bees, especially this morning!! There seemed to be clouds of them at the entrance on every hive, from about 7 am, all calm now at 11.33 am. Maybe they were happy to have a clear sunny day after a couple of overcast ones.

Possibly orientation flights being taken, they always look quite impressive :)

Taking the last honey boxes off. Silver dollar gum and ficifolia in flower now, getting a big late flow from these. One hive of mine has no brood at all but is full of bees (no swarm cells evident and couldn't spot the queen). Bottom box completely full of pollen and three top boxes filled up with honey where the brood normally resides. Might give it a blast with oxalic acid as not much point adding a strip. All mite treatments added, most hives seem to have low mite numbers. Autumn splits done and am now watching drones being marched to their deaths.

Flowering Gums have just come on which is great! I have a single box, that I am putting another box on this week, gotta get it drawn out and hopefully filled quite a bit before winter. Will be feeding. Did sugar shake last week with no mites counted on both my hives which is great, so Treatments should be in fairly shortly nonetheless. Apivar to be exact. Other then that all is well!

• Like 1

Took Daleys squash off today! I love squash honey!

• Like 1

I went to a farmers market in napier today and saw some organic honey for sale, so I went up to him and asked what makes his honey different from the honey sold in the supermarket, the answer I got was that the supermarket honey has up to 40% sugar and water :eek: I was shocked to hear this information so I asked him where he got this information he told me that this boss got some samples from the supermarket and had them tested I asked if I could see these results but was told that his boss had the results, I told the guy that I was a beekeeper and that I worked for a beekeeping business that supplies alot of honey to the supermarkets and was shocked that he would make claims about supermarket honey without having the proof on hand to support his claim :mad:

• Like 1

A thoroughly amazing statement. You would think they would of had a copy of that Lab result on the stand.

With a claim like that I would of thought they would have the proof to back it up but was told to ring his boss and ask him for it just a little dodgy sale gimmick I think

supermarket honey has up to 40% sugar and water

that could be correct.

there has been honey sold that was found to have something like 40% sugar in it. that was picked up in the random honey sampling they do.

of course its a marketing twist that they imply all honey is like that rather than one dodgy outfit was caught.

Judging by his business card food regulations allow up to 40% additives and still can be labeled as 100% pure honey

Here's hoping it is just 1 dodgy outfit! Between the Manuka thinners and now 40% sugar it's a quick way to wreck an industry!

Anyone got any links to anywhere the 40% find is reported? Am presuming it was an NZ find?

Would love to see that guys business card @Bren :)

If I put it on here the moderators might delete the post or ban me :(

If I put it on here the moderators might delete the post or ban me :(

Blank out name & contact...

Not sure if they would @Bren it is in the interests of most of us to get to grips with the issues. I reckon it's dodgy operating if the bloke is using this tactic.

Mods : what do reckon?

I was around at my brother in laws place today and saw his pears were falling and rotting. I was expecting to see wasps, but saw this instead. Not a wasp in sight

20170304_104732.jpg.d0bebe1e6214c17d55b0638bfdbd9843.jpg

20170304_104758.jpg.42e07350ab3c7222a2f46dd0f5e2c4c2.jpg

20170304_104732.jpg.d0bebe1e6214c17d55b0638bfdbd9843.jpg

20170304_104758.jpg.42e07350ab3c7222a2f46dd0f5e2c4c2.jpg

Not sure if they would @Bren it is in the interests of most of us to get to grips with the issues. I reckon it's dodgy operating if the bloke is using this tactic.

Mods : what do reckon?

I am not sure. I will leave this to the greater legal minds. We need to be careful about possible slander.

He or she should be named and given right of reply. By him levelling his claim he implys that @Bren is selling sub standard product and this should be answered for.

Here's hoping it is just 1 dodgy outfit! Between the Manuka thinners and now 40% sugar it's a quick way to wreck an industry!

Anyone got any links to anywhere the 40% find is reported? Am presuming it was an NZ find?

Would love to see that guys business card @Bren :)

i can't remember where i saw it.

same goes for the adding of MGO etc.

its good to see that they are testing and catching these guys.

Taking Honey off and noting White wax and nectar in top box new plastic frames.

That Koromiko is a Godsend

From what I see in our local supermarkets most of the honey sold is from established companies. I very much doubt the 40% sugar claim and it makes me mad to think a beekeeper would even spread such a rumour as it hurts all beekeepers.

A thoroughly amazing statement. You would think they would of had a copy of that Lab result on the stand.

Well my mother told me (when I was much younger) that creamed honey was bad for you it was full of icing sugar to make it creamed. Probably because she had lots of kids and feed us manuka honey because it was stronger and we didnt use so much. We all wanted our grandmothers creamed clover bought from the shop. Mum took her jars to the local beek and he filled them with manuka (the cheapest) Haha now she has all of her sons and a daughter and numerous grandchildren all beeks and all know differently.

• Like 4

People still think creamed honey has had icing sugar added and then whipped up :(

• Like 1