Lou

AP2 giving out sites

There's been a beekeeper in the area I work who has abandoned probably about 50 sites. I've taken over about 7 of these sites over the past few years by putting in the hard yards talking to the farmers, the former beekeeper, documenting everything, disposing of the old rotten hives and registering the sites with Asure Quality. I've been gradually trying to get a few more sites. Today I found out an AP2 has 'assigned' all the remaining sites to a beekeeper/s from out of the area. (Would love to know who). Despite the fact that I'd been gradually registering and tidying up the mess left by the other beekeeper none of the sites were offered to me who already works in the area, or the only other beekeeper who has apiaries in the area.

I'm ropable.

This does not pass the sniff test at all. As far as I can see there's been no fair, open and transparent process of making these sites available to beekeepers in the area. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

There's been a beekeeper in the area I work who has abandoned probably about 50 sites. I've taken over about 7 of these sites over the past few years by putting in the hard yards talking to the farmers, the former beekeeper, documenting everything, disposing of the old rotten hives and registering the sites with Asure Quality. I've been gradually trying to get a few more sites. Today I found out an AP2 has 'assigned' all the remaining sites to a beekeeper/s from out of the area. (Would love to know who). Despite the fact that I'd been gradually registering and tidying up the mess left by the other beekeeper none of the sites were offered to me who already works in the area, or the only other beekeeper who has apiaries in the area.

I'm ropable.

This does not pass the sniff test at all. As far as I can see there's been no fair, open and transparent process of making these sites available to beekeepers in the area. What do you guys think?

If the AP2 is working on behalf of the Land owner then that's the end of it.

If the AP2 is working on behalf of the Land owner then that's the end of it.

We're talking probably 40 farms here. This action hadn't been instigated by the landowners but by Asure Quality.

I'm ropable.

you are so right to be upset....looks like someone got paid eh...AP2 S JOB SHUD BE ON THE LINE...

We're talking probably 40 farms here. This action hadn't been instigated by the landowners but by Asure Quality.

The land owner decides who is on their farm.

AQ cannot assign a site to someone without the consent of the land owner.

It is highly unusual and improbable that AQ would go down this track.

An AP2 cannot assign anything to anyone. If you are inspecting abandoned\dead hives as an AP2 and the landowner asked you to recommend another beekeeper that would I believe be acceptable but if the AP2 new of the abandoned sites because of inspection work they had done and then used that information for their own advantage that would be totally unacceptable. If you believe an AP 2 has acted in an unprofessional manner you should urgently contact either Rex Baines or your local MPI. And AP2 does not have any more access to the APi web database than anyone else and is assigned apiarys to inspect by an AP one. They can't just go trolling through to see what's around. Having said all that I have lost apiary sites that my family has had for 60 years to corporate beekeepers and there is nothing anyone can do about that.

If these are around Milton I have been trying to clean up abandoned sites and register them myself by approaching and gaining consent of the landowner.

What area ?

The land owner decides who is on their farm.

AQ cannot assign a site to someone without the consent of the land owner.

It is highly unusual and improbable that AQ would go down this track.

Thanks for this info. I will try to find out more tomorrow. My concern is what process they use to chose who to assign them to or to recommend to the farmer - what's stopping them from choosing their mates, a name they know, or just the biggest outfit in the region, for example.

It's up to the landowner to 'assign' the site. Perhaps the ap2 instigated introductions ??? Otherwise it sounds very out of order and assure quality should be asked to explain.

If these are around Milton I have been trying to clean up abandoned sites and register them myself by approaching and gaining consent of the landowner.

All good Darryn, not Milton. You'd be sensible to watch out though the AP2 could swoop in and give any other sites to someone from out of your area. Cheers

This story sounds strange to me .

50 sites abandoned for a few years ?

Thanks for this info. I will try to find out more tomorrow. My concern is what process they use to chose who to assign them to or to recommend to the farmer - what's stopping them from choosing their mates, a name they know, or just the biggest outfit in the region, for example.

You will probably find that generally farmers these days are unlikely to allow an intermediary to allocate hive sites.

The farmer will want to eyeball any propective beek himself.

Thats how it works in the country

• Like 1

correct me if i'm wrong but AP2 can take over abandoned sites (thread on here about it). he could then give the hives/site to someone else.

Yes that's correct. I've discussed this with AQ a number of times over the past few years. I even offered to help if they were going to do a clean up but I was told it would be best if I didn't because it would be a conflict of interest because I had hives in the area and would be at an advantage in getting hold of some of the sites.

There will be more if the Manuka standed come for the worst and the price of honey drops to low

You will probably find that generally farmers these days are unlikely to allow an intermediary to allocate hive sites.

The farmer will want to eyeball any propective beek himself.

Thats how it works in the country

For sure - I only know what the AP2 told me tonight (before I lost the plot).

Yes that's correct. I've discussed this with AQ a number of times over the past few years. I even offered to help if they were going to do a clean up but I was told it would be best if I didn't because it would be a conflict of interest because I had hives in the area and would be at an advantage in getting hold of some of the sites.

I have done the same, and was told to approach the land owners

@Lou check your inbox :-)

For sure - I only know what the AP2 told me tonight (before I lost the plot).

In that case I withdraw my "Chinese whispers" comment. I think you've a right to feel cheated.

• Like 1

This sounds like Chinese whispers to me...

A bit gutting that my story is being doubted. I just spoke to the AP2 tonight and couldn't believe what he was telling me so that's why I'm on here trying to figure out if this is really possible, some collosal error or just a really unfair system.

This is official work the AP2 is undertaking - I worked in govt for years and I know you have to conduct everything with fairness and transparency (or at least give the semblance of doing so lol!) so I really shocked if this can happen.

correct me if i'm wrong but AP2 can take over abandoned sites (thread on here about it). he could then give the hives/site to someone else.

The Land owner is at the very top of the pecking order and no one on the planet has the power to place hives on a site without the land owners approval.

If an AP2 was to take over a site it can only be to contain, manage and rectify an illegal situation in the short term and only with regard to the offending hives.

It is not the AP2's site to pass on.

It is no different to an urban site /hive falling foul of the law and then seeing the rights to that site passed on to another Beek.

Imagine that, another Beek pulling up your driveway to tend his hive:rofl:

There will be more if the Manuka standed come for the worst and the price of honey drops to low

If that happens which I doubt , but if it did, I doubt you would see vacant sites everywhere.

The ones with money will simply scoop them up and come through any correction twice as well off.

That's how the rich get richer, they box when their opponent scraps and scraps when the opponent boxes. (Bob Jones)

Any combat folk will understand that one.

• Like 2

sites do get passed on.

over the years (decades) we have bought up some that have retired, moved on etc. in a lot of cases we have taken over the sites. in most cases its been ok with the land owner.

land owner is still top dog, but i would say its fairly rare for them to kick someone off thats taken over the hives.

For sure, if all parties are happy then its a deal.

However Ive seen Beeks get kicked off.

One situation which is probably common enough is when land changes hands and the new owner sees beeks coming and going and has no idea who they are.

Another reason Ive seen Beeks kicked off is when the landowner decides that the way that the Beek operates his business on the farmers land is not in line with the vision that the Landowner has for his land.

Thanks everyone, I really value the information and have lots to follow up on and ask tomorrow. Looks like it'll be a day in the office