Whoa....trench warfare...

From Stuff Business, Comvita vs the locals..

Battle of the bees between manuka honey giant Comvita and Northland beekeepers

Manuka honey exporter Comvita is being accused of chopping down forest on disputed Maori land, snubbing protocol, and driving small-scale beekeepers out of business.

Publicly listed Comvita reaped $18.5 million from its 30,000 hives last year; a sum some locals of a tiny Kaipara town 150kms northwest of Auckland say they do not want their manuka contributing to.

They want its profit to stay in the community, but say corporate beekeepers have entered Tinopai through a minority of shareholders in one Maori land block.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand how comvita did not know there would not be blow back from their actions.

Are they so big and so greedy that they just do not care.

Are feel really sorry for the local bee keepers.

I live in a remote rural area with few job opportunities so I empathise with them , you could see how really shattered the locals were.

I do not understand how comvita did not know there would not be blow back from their actions.

I live in a remote rural area with few job opportunities so I empathise with them , you could see how really shattered the locals were.

I think that with a bigger business it's very easy for someone to sit in an office and give orders about what hives are going where but on the ground it's a different story.. if those sites or areas are already covered then why even try to go there.

Your not gonna make any honey and your not gonna make any friends either.

Maori blocks have pretty complicated ownership but it seems there's always one person willing to sell out when offered a bit of money under the table.

They were told they could go there, so really isn't it up to the trustees of the block to put their heads together and stop these people selling them out to line their own pockets, because they're right that's their honey, that's their money, and if they ran their own hives properly there's no way they couldn't do better than the pittance gate fee they're being paid.

I would ask the Comvita Directors to explain their ethics......after all the each take several million personally.... was it 4 million each last year? Unbelievable amounts of money these folk (amongst others) put in their pockets while most kiwis work their buts off for a pittance.

How are their shares going this year?

• Like 1

if you think how difficult it is for a group of people with shared landownership and unknown profits if any to work out how to do this fair. considering that beekeeping in the north has become very challenging even for long time professionals.

and then comvita comes along waving the check book......makes you want to cry.

• Like 1
I think that with a bigger business it's very easy for someone to sit in an office and give orders about what hives are going where but on the ground it's a different story.. if those sites or areas are already covered then why even try to go there.

Your not gonna make any honey and your not gonna make any friends either.

Maori blocks have pretty complicated ownership but it seems there's always one person willing to sell out when offered a bit of money under the table.

They were told they could go there, so really isn't it up to the trustees of the block to put their heads together and stop these people selling them out to line their own pockets, because they're right that's their honey, that's their money, and if they ran their own hives properly there's no way they couldn't do better than the pittance gate fee they're being paid.

with complicated maori ownership its generally your relative who sold you out.

theres also a degree of trust involved so people are not constantly looking out for the enemy within.

and often the person who sold out does not live there so has no loyalty.

it must be an awful situation for the people on so many levels

I would ask the Comvita Directors to explain their ethics......after all the each take several million personally.... was it 4 million each last year? Unbelievable amounts of money these folk (amongst others) put in their pockets while most kiwis work their buts off for a pittance.

4 million for a directorship .....I'm not even going to go there.

They want its profit to stay in the community, but say corporate beekeepers have entered Tinopai through a minority of shareholders in one Maori land block.

There's the problem. Maori land held under a trust document that allowed 2 people to broker a deal that the rest are now unhappy with. Tough luck this year but I'd get those trust docs rewritten, learn from it and move on.

Trenching the access road? No dice, those roads will be legal right of way access to Comvita's new honey block. Nothing you can do.

Sadly Comvita may be corporate mongrels, but they are entirely within the law here. People need to look to their internal parasites before blaming the corporates for everything. I'd say the smartest move would have been a hefty compo payout for the wrongfully cleared land, agreeing to a media gag, and quietly lynching the greedy few who made it all possible in the first place.

Oh, not to forget changing the land trust docs, since clearly some people can NOT be trusted.

that sounds rather familiar. a few similar stories out off the far north. deal is done with who ever is in charge but then all the locals put their hands out wanting a cut. i sorta see their point of few, they see someone making money off their land in front of them yet they see nothing out of it as the money goes to the hierarchy.

This is nothing new though, this has been going on for years. and to be honest it was worse 10 years ago but was going on pretty much undetected some individuals have been getting paid well over the years without anyone battering an eye, but as soon as theres value in something ears prick up. and question start getting asked.

ears p-ick up then.

Sorry, where did you get your numbers from??? 4 million doesn't sound right to me.

Sorry, where did you get your numbers from??? 4 million doesn't sound right to me.

Further to this, according to the 2016 annual report a total of $590,000 in total was spent on directors fees and that was for 15 months due to a change in balance date. Not quite $4 million each!!!!

if you think how difficult it is for a group of people with shared landownership and unknown profits if any to work out how to do this fair. considering that beekeeping in the north has become very challenging even for long time professionals.

and then comvita comes along waving the check book......makes you want to cry.

To be fair Comvita have been operating in Northland for many years - long before everyone else joined the gold rush up there so it's not as if they have just turned up waving a cheque book.

Local Ukrainian management in Northland couldn't care less about treading on toes. Comvita head office management would only know about it when the proverbial hits the fan.

Unfortunately not the first time and not the only large company offering huge amounts of money to landowners. Some payments are unsustainable given the crops they will get but they can make it up elsewhere. The big companies have hives a'll over the country, the smaller ones don't. A contributing problem is not knowing how many hives are in an area. Overstocking is a massive issue - especially in a year like this.

Comvita have a reputation for being ruthless but they are, by no means, the only ones.

Shares are going down. Google comvita shares. I think pink cat said he bought shares a while back. They've being going down since then.

As has everything else.

Shares are going down. Google comvita shares. I think pink cat said he bought shares a while back. They've being going down since then.

Yep, from $12.87 in May to $6.72 today. Ouch!!!!