RGBees

NZBF Strange Hive

Hi all, would like to bounce some ideas about one of my hives that I've dubbed the 'strange hive'.

Checked it this weekend and did a full inspection, whilst all the other hives around are onto their second honey box (they were all installed at the same time and bought from the same person) this one hasn't even drawn out the first box. What puzzling me is the fact that in the brood box all except the end frames are fully drawn out but with 70% of the frames filled with pollen and I mean chocka with pollen and with the top corners with capped honey. I could only find perhaps 2/3 frames with more capped honey than pollen. I didn't see any capped brood but did see dotted around in a few cells eggs and lavae ranging from 3-7 days old, I also didnt have any sightings of the queen. The bees themselves are very tame and spent most of their time sitting on the edge of the boxes staring at me whilst I ransacked their home trying to work out what was going on. Also there were quite a few drone, more so than normal hanging about.

Any ideas? if not I will have to chalk it up to the pallet they are on being cursed.

Sorry no photos as my phone died.

Sounds like a dud queen. If you're quick about it you might requeen them before winter. A fresh drawn comb would help her get established. Don't feed until after she's laying strongly.

Hi @Rob Stockley , just a newbee question, why wouldn't you feed before the queen is laying strongly?

Kill your queen and add a frame of open from your best hive asap. Would not hurt to add a frame of capped from a strong hive if you have plenty, as well to build them up before the queen starts laying.

Hi @Rob Stockley , just a newbee question, why wouldn't you feed before the queen is laying strongly?

If you're not careful the bees will fill the available space with with syrup before the queen has had a chance to lay.

Sounds like a dud queen. If you're quick about it you might requeen them before winter. A fresh drawn comb would help her get established. Don't feed until after she's laying strongly.

Thanks Rob, I think that's what I will have to do. There were a couple of empty nearly fully drawn out frames in the brood box.

Kill your queen and add a frame of open from your best hive asap. Would not hurt to add a frame of capped from a strong hive if you have plenty, as well to build them up before the queen starts laying.

The neighbouring hive is plenty strong so I should be able to move a frame over.

Squash the queen, add capped brood frames with bees, shake some nurse bees from open brood frames, add a caged queen. Easier would be to just kill the queen and add your queenless box on top of your best producer and let the queen to lay it up. Later split again with a caged queen.

If you let them to build their own cell it will be probably as bad as the one you have now. And it will be too late.

Let us know how your hive goes, always interesting :)

I'm requeening this week so will let you know how it goes.

Update: strange hive part deus.

So today after a bit of a delay due to the weather i got to check the strange hive in order to find the queen and end her days so I could replace her. unfortunately after a good search I was unable to find her but there were a lot more brood (drones only) and some fresh eggs/pupae dotted around. however a couple of things caught my eye. firstly this queen cell on the bottom of the frame and then a few dead emerging drones (could this be due to the hive having no honey stores and only pollen?)

20170225_113057.jpg.73871598e20d2cbe2045ef84022d20cf.jpg

20170225_113050.jpg.c3790e9e49083c3d7f8e0f5ab52373cd.jpg

20170225_113631.jpg.3567be69213ee8980eed869e6034fa2b.jpg

20170225_113057.jpg.73871598e20d2cbe2045ef84022d20cf.jpg

20170225_113050.jpg.c3790e9e49083c3d7f8e0f5ab52373cd.jpg

20170225_113631.jpg.3567be69213ee8980eed869e6034fa2b.jpg

Your queen has been a drone layer for quite some time

The drones are dying emerging because the remaining worker bees are getting old and tired and actually there aren't enough workers in there to bring in nectar . They will starve to death

They are trying to make a new queen, more than likely from a drone egg

Requeening at this stage won't help . Sorry

Assuming that frame of bees is representative of the population of bees in the hive, you'll need to bang the frames out away from the hive somewhere and pack the hive up and take it away .

Your queen has been a drone layer for quite some time

The drones are dying emerging because the remaining worker bees are getting old and tired and actually there aren't enough workers in there to bring in nectar . They will starve to death

They are trying to make a new queen, more than likely from a drone egg

Requeening at this stage won't help . Sorry

Assuming that frame of bees is representative of the population of bees in the hive, you'll need to bang the frames out away from the hive somewhere and pack the hive up and take it away .

Thanks M4tt, so you're pretty much saying that it's not worth trying to save? not even banging the frames out in the next paddock and adding frames of brood from two of the strongest frames and a mated queen?

Thanks M4tt, so you're pretty much saying that it's not worth trying to save? not even banging the frames out in the next paddock and adding frames of brood from two of the strongest frames and a mated queen?

He is saying it is too late in the season now to get a new hive established. Action needed to be taken 6 weeks ago.

........banging the frames out in the next paddock and adding frames of brood from two of the strongest frames and a mated queen?

If you are keen to give it a shot , they'll need to go in a nuc with all the robbing precautions in place . A good frame of emerging brood and a frame of eggs and an extra shake of bees..... but , That all needs to come from a very strong hive. No point having another weak hive.

You are basically making a new nuc.