jamesc

February Diary 2017

We had a lovely rotund Matron but I agree, who would do that to a youngster.

All my three Children went off at 13YO and it was very difficult but they seemed to enjoy it.

My 18YO is home now and its been great getting to know him as a young man.

My 13YO has just gone off and Its unlikely he will move home again as he's not the type.

Im actually in two minds about boarding schools.

Me too. We don't have a choice but it's hard being away from them as they go through teenage stuff. I am glad I don't have to do oversee their homework though. Maths is so different now I'd be no help at all.

• Like 2

Common in the 70s here in NZ

This was England in the 50s

Not a very happy part of my life especially as both my brothers were sent to a different school. Certainly, in my case, did not help create a tight loving family. However I survived, as I'm sure most did. I have no idea why my parents decided this. I may find out in time, however as I need to die first AND I refuse to die before I'm dead it may take a while. I'll keep you posted

• Like 2

I have no idea why my parents decided this.
I had boarding school for the earlier part of secondary school, which is also a mystery to me as to why . Perhaps the parents were trying to give the children better opportunities ? I'm really not sure

A significant benefit of boarding School relates to the widespread and diverse circle of friends the children make.

The down side of this can be that they lack friends on their home turf which is significant for some.

There is something to be said for having friends that you have had close contacts with for 45 years

I think the entire English ruling class went off to boarding school at 5 yrs old.

It may explain the sadistic psychopathic nature of their colonial administration.

All empathy was stripped out in a childhood divorced from love and warmth

This is a long way from bees however I just have to comment with the following.

Yes it was hard on them especially during World War 2, I saw that with my Dad, however it made him the most loving kind dad that one could ever wish for, as he spent every spare moment nurturing his children.

If we are honest, a 6 month old baby sent to child care everyday and coming home to an overworked exhausted single Parent is having just as serious ill effect on our New Zealand society today.

• Like 3

Well following on from the above doom & gloom I have much pleasure in reporting that thanks to @Ahol my last FD hive has gone, and I'm now back down to my regulation 1.5 hives, and 3/4 ones at that !(y)(y)(y)(y):)

• Like 3

just discovered our young raspberry bush is full of vine hoppers :( no wonder why it is in very sad state.

I had boarding school for the earlier part of secondary school, which is also a mystery to me as to why . Perhaps the parents were trying to give the children better opportunities ? I'm really not sure

I think parents send their children for a number of reasons, family tradition and desire to give their children what they saw as the best possible option Are the ones I am familiar with.

The ones I know of still kept close contact with their peers at home.

We moved our whole family for 6 years while the kids were at college , our kids lost contact with their childhood friends.

They sometimes complain about the social disruption in their lives and feel they do not quite fit in with the new group they met at college or the old group they left behind.

No doubt if they live long enough they will have friends for longer than 45 years

• Like 1

opened up a middling strong hive to do some stuff quickly - we all know the sort of hive opening right? the one where you're in shorts and a t-shirt, no smoker, gloves, jacket or veil. Ended up closing it up sooner than planned... got away with it, amused at the bee in my open shoe that was intently trying to sting the shoe rather than me. Continuing the no stings trend, but this one was fairly close...

edit ten minutes on

right, chucked on jeans and a veil - in and out in under five minutes, bees had chilled out so all good.

• Like 1

You should be able to smell the matai, sort of musty, like an old toilet seat.

Imagine the pink cat perched on a toilet seat with his nose down on the seat saying " now that smells like Matai Honey."

I think it will become obvious when I start resawing the slab. Yes i ripped some matai floor boards for picture frames and I recon I know the smell you speak of.

IMG_0092.JPG.932251a8312d3f38d06d463bfb34aa92.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG.932251a8312d3f38d06d463bfb34aa92.JPG

What pickups are you going to fit

What pickups are you going to fit

Not totally decided but pondering P90's

I found a hive yesterday that had a picture perfect Brood box.

Nice pattern with good bee numbers.

No Varroa, nice looking Queen, calm bees.

The sort of single you might look at early on and be confident of.

It had stores in the Brood box but nothing in the supers

Empty.

sounds like some of mine Phil! A bit depressing having empty supers on strong doubles since spring! And then a early November split with laying queen has filled 5 3/4 boxes!

sounds like some of mine Phil! A bit depressing having empty supers on strong doubles since spring! And then a early November split with laying queen has filled 5 3/4 boxes!

Yes very strange.

This Hive is in a good yard.

I killed the Queen

Yes very strange.

I killed the Queen

Yes, I've had a couple like that this year and have also removed the queens - for lack of a better idea

Yes very strange.

I killed the Queen

Yes, I've had a couple like that this year and have also removed the queens - for lack of a better idea

Having read about this situation in the past I did some reading and watched a few conference videos online. The same point was made across all the articles; Nosema Ceranae. When inspecting a colony it looks fine in the brood area, excellent laying pattern, good coverage of the frames with bees but never able to expand to a point of collecting enough surplus honey. What is happening? The Nosema is killing the adult bees faster than the queen can lay to get successive generations overlapping, which is where you get a colony increase. Without the bees living long enough the colony is at a stand still, not going forward not going backwards. Eventually as the season goes along and winter arrives the colony fades away due to not having bees that can last the distance to spring build up. Classic Nosema symptoms.

Having read about this situation in the past I did some reading and watched a few conference videos online. The same point was made across all the articles; Nosema Ceranae. When inspecting a colony it looks fine in the brood area, excellent laying pattern, good coverage of the frames with bees but never able to expand to a point of collecting enough surplus honey. What is happening? The Nosema is killing the adult bees faster than the queen can lay to get successive generations overlapping, which is where you get a colony increase. Without the bees living long enough the colony is at a stand still, not going forward not going backwards. Eventually as the season goes along and winter arrives the colony fades away due to not having bees that can last the distance to spring build up. Classic Nosema symptoms.

Yes this is something Ive read about also.

Tammy put my ceranae levels at very low but I guess things can change.

Ill grab some bees and have a look myself.

It does explain individuals that are towered over by their neighbours.

I wonder, and its a long shot, if pathogens like this can sweep the country making an average season look really poor like this one.

You only need to have a few star preforming hives to start questioning whats up.

If the season is so poor then how can some hives do so well compared to their neighbours.

What Im learning real fast is that the Beek who is the smartest will also be the richest

Yes very strange.

I killed the Queen

Ok Guys .... the moral to this story is that the overqualified good looking gals are not necessary the ones who over achieve.

Also ... maybe you had a very short honey flow and had the wrong age bee on the four days of flow..... thats a Canterbury thing when the Nor'west kicks in and it's a madrushtomakehoneybeforeitalldriesout.

Me ... I would have put her in the breeding program.

Me ... I would have put her in the breeding program.

Very interesting comment James and Im not sure if you are serious but as I threw her into the grass I did wonder if she should be in my breeding program.

After all, in balance, a Queen that is that bad at organising forages must be out standing at something else.:thumbdown: