jamesc

February Diary 2017

A couple of years ago I asked an analytical chemist friend ( he had a special passport that allowed him to smell of all sorts of things when passing through customs) about the possibility of developing a tutin testing kit. Unsurprisingly his reply was that it was a complex process not easily simplified. I wonder if this is still the case. I guess the labs would be the last people to say otherwise..

Yes..I wonder how many $92.00 fees they collect in a season..

Results back to day finally

[ATTACH=full]16821[/ATTACH]

Looks suspiciously exactly the same as my report except for the lab number image.jpg.9d1db9dea7e45470de9e4b34a4048f48.jpg

Sorting through my honey boxes today before they go to the extractor.

Ive found two new supercedure queens in two different honey boxes with a little bit of brood. An unexpected bonus. Popped each one into a nuc.

All my QE have a notch chiseled out, so the new queen must have flown back in the top entrance above the QE:)

And sometime later ....

Found 3 now.

Who doesn't check honey boxes before extraction ?

image.jpg.9d1db9dea7e45470de9e4b34a4048f48.jpg

• Like 3

Late spring I found a queen under the bee saver on a top feeder, there was a queen in the hive the feeder came off so a nuc was made and the queen is laying well surprisingly. I'd given the feeder a couple of good bangs on top of the hive trying to get bees out form around the rim :whistle: :bee:.

• Like 1

Then onto our motel for a shower before going to visit @frazzledfozzle and her husband @BSB also called around for a chat and some dinner. What a fantastic day. Thanks.

After he'd discovered that we still have some standards down here and wearing slippers while being hosted to a dinner party was not the done thing ! :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

Thursday we will go to see @jamesc and get the whole story.

Hi @Trevor Gillbanks We will all be wanting a PM to get the whole story!.. just saying. My hubby so wants to meet @frazzledfozzle because of her earlier comments. Anyway sounds like you are having and going to have a great time, enjoy

After he'd discovered that we still have some standards down here and wearing slippers while being hosted to a dinner party was not the done thing ! :cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

Yes. However, a quick trip to the warehouse fixed that problem for the main event of the trip. That is, the diner with @frazzledfozzle and @BSB .

• Like 1

Well. I am currently in Hanmer Springs with my wife. We sailed over the big ditch on Sunday morning and then drove over to Nelson to catch up with the pink cat. It was great to finally put a face to @yesbut and we spent a pleasant 2 hours chatting.

Then onto our motel for a shower before going to visit @frazzledfozzle and her husband @BSB also called around for a chat and some dinner. What a fantastic day. Thanks.

Monday it was off to Springs Junction and then Hanmer Springs where we are off to have a swim in the hot pools.

Off to Christchurch tomorrow.

If you a still round these parts after 3 I make a good coffee you may need one

Well. I am currently in Hanmer Springs with my wife. We sailed over the big ditch on Sunday morning and then drove over to Nelson to catch up with the pink cat. It was great to finally put a face to @yesbut and we spent a pleasant 2 hours chatting.

Monday it was off to Springs Junction and then Hanmer Springs where we are off to have a swim in the hot pools.

• Like 1

We sailed over the big ditch on Sunday morning and then drove over to Nelson.

@Trevor Gillbanks You didn't wave when you went past!

On sunday morning I had @Oma visiting on her way down south. You could have added 2 more faces to a pretty epic list.

• Like 1

Welcome to The Mainland @Trevor Gillbanks, glad to hear you're getting some good Southern hospitality.

I did wavery @Desmo but I did not get all the way to Blenheim. Leaving Hanmer today to go to Christchurch and see our daughter and grandchildren. Then off to see @jamesc on Thursday.

I did wavery @Desmo but I did not get all the way to Blenheim. Leaving Hanmer today to go to Christchurch and see our daughter and grandchildren. Then off to see @jamesc on Thursday.

You will be able to moderate him in person ;-)

You will be able to moderate him in person ;)

I think it will be an unusual moderated discussion with a lot of bleeps

Keep heading South and you will reach me, you know where I live on the Peninsula, you have been here.

The Disa orchids now grow wild in the garden !

disared-web.jpg.b823af5083b882ab8d9c73b9bafb62e2.jpg

disared-web.jpg.b823af5083b882ab8d9c73b9bafb62e2.jpg

• Like 1

Keep heading South and you will reach me, you know where I live on the Peninsula, you have been here.

The Disa orchids now grow wild in the garden !

Thanks for the offer @tudor . Not sure when we will be down your way. But you are high on the visitor list. Likewise you are always welcome at my place. No disa now as I have moved in other directionstates.

We await with trepidation the visit of the "Moderator" .

Bit like when I was at school, hauled up in front of the headmaster for a daring deed that went pear shaped. I was due to be whacked with his running shoe. Jerry was an olympic champion and his running shoe was rumoured to have spikes in it.

I think I nearly died of shock just waiting outside his study as my mate went in before me and I could hear the soft thuds of whack on bottom resonate out into the hallway.

The running shoe didn't have spikes in, but it hurt like heck and gave my mate and I a bit of a shake up about daring deeds.

And the daring deed .... sodium chlorate weedkiller mixed with sugar and packed into a 303 cartridge with a microbe wire electrical detonator. A very early IED that we buried under a track in the woods and detonated as the science teacher went for his evening stroll.

The beating did the job so you are safe to visit Trev!

We await with trepidation the visit of the "Moderator" .

Bit like when I was at school, hauled up in front of the headmaster for a daring deed that went pear shaped. I was due to be whacked with his running shoe. Jerry was an olympic champion and his running shoe was rumoured to have spikes in it.

I think I nearly died of shock just waiting outside his study as my mate went in before me and I could hear the soft thuds of whack on bottom resonate out into the hallway.

The running shoe didn't have spikes in, but it hurt like heck and gave my mate and I a bit of a shake up about daring deeds.

And the daring deed .... sodium chlorate weedkiller mixed with sugar and packed into a 303 cartridge with a microbe wire electrical detonator. A very early IED that we buried under a track in the woods and detonated as the science teacher went for his evening stroll.

The beating did the job so you are safe to visit Trev!

I was planning on wearing my jandals for the visit, but it looks like I will have to put on my steel caps.

Do you want me to bring along my voice recorder so that we can get the full story down.

I am sure it is worth a lot good money.

Yup ... need the voice recorder and money for the libel case to follow

Just between you and me of course. Nudge Nudge, wink wink

and the forum

sodium chlorate weedkiller mixed with sugar and packed into a 303 cartridge with a microbe wire electrical detonator.

Shame you're reformed now @jamesc I have .50 cal, 40/60 bofors, 25 pdr & 90mm M19 cases in the laundry cupboard. :sneaky:

My step-dad told me a similar story from when he was at boarding school in Whangarei back in the early 60's.

No science teacher involved but a short piece of 1" steam pipe, sugar and diesel, and a quiet sunday morning, resulting in a 6' wide smoking hole surrounded by policemen, and the caning of a lifetime for him and 3 mates.:x3:

• Like 1

The fact that forum members are talking about being canned shows just how old a lot of them are.

Because I was a girl I stopped being strapped when I went to college.

After that it was just detentions , which were always boring . Before that I had the option of the strap which I always took.

My kids found it inconceivable that teachers could roam the class room and wack you with a ruler when they felt the need

On average I got wacked with the yard stick on the fingers at the maths table everyday, i got wacked round the legs every second day and got the strap every month.

Honey is now all off

Hives have all been moved home for winter

Sugar Shakes today. I'm doing all my hives. Results from 0 to 8. Apivar into everything.

One hive that is crippled with DWV got 2 MAQS as well

My hives are very much stronger than I have seen them at this time of the year. Bursting with bees. All are either 2 FD or three 3/4 depth boxes. Feeders are going on with 2:1 syrup to pack them down

Question; "2:1 syrup to pack them down". Is this to fill up all available space? Or to start restricting the queen a bit, and occupying brood space with stores?

On average I got wacked with the yard stick on the fingers at the maths table everyday, i got wacked round the legs every second day and got the strap every month.

Are you saying you were a slow learner?;)