February Diary 2017

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went through my 3 hives yesterday.

Thought my Strong 2 Brood hive that started as a Nuc from Trev may need a super but still 4 frames left to draw and fill. Beautiful brood and the lovely big queen i caught a glimpse of as I quickly scanned the top box. A bit low on stores only 4 frames with a bit of honey and pollen around the brood. So I gave them about 4L of syrup just to help them along especially with this week of rain coming.

A Nuc I bought a week a go from another beek really suprised me. Drawn out 3 of the empty waxed plastics I had in there and starting to fill with nectar and a bit of pollen. Box is filled with about 8 frames of bees. Gave them a couple litres of syrup as well. Will give them a couple weeks then put another box on this one as well.

A small swarm i caught back in the beginning of november is struggling. About 1 frame of bees and brood with a bit of chalk brood in a Nuc Box. I Will requeen asap with a virgin queen. I gave them about a litre of syrup too.

Will have to get some pictures next time.

A small swarm i caught back in the beginning of november is struggling. About 1 frame of bees and brood with a bit of chalk brood in a Nuc Box. I Will requeen asap with a virgin queen. I gave them about a litre of syrup too.

Will have to get some pictures next time.

If you can get a cell use a cell.... they are better.....

If you can get a cell use a cell.... they are better.....

Cheers! I'll see if I can. I would actually prefer a cell too it's just I know a commercial who I can get a Virgin through for the same price as a cell. I'll see if he has any orders for queen cells.

Just been into our hives. We have taken off 4 boxes of honey, but left 8 on as the bees have not capped them yet. We will leave them on for another 3 or so weeks. We still have a flow on here. The bees were all very quiet.

When we inspected on the 5/1 we had a hive that had gone queenless and had no brood. We put in two frames from another hive and when we looked today there was eggs and grubs. We saw the queen. She was on the first middle frame we took out. A bit small looking but doing her job.

Of the 4 hives this one is the weakest (it was one of the strongest), but it still managed to fill 4 supers, and kill the odd wasp that tries to get in.

Overall very happy with the strength of the hives and the way they are preforming. No sign of dwv, good brood patterns.

• Like 2
Brought a few frames of honey home yesterday. Kitchen extraction this morning. Golden South Waikato honey.

10pm and windows wide open. Argh!!! Too hot...

In that heat the honey should just flow off! :)

We were at Cape Reinga last Wednesday. A Beek's daughter, we met, said her Dad had taken 45 super boxes off.They were a mix of FD and 3/4. A few kgs there I would guess

It wasn't as dry as I was expecting but I'm not sure what the bees are foraging on. Only saw red and orange Rata in flower

Off to Wellington and the South Island later in the week

Son's girl friend, asked if there was a Beeks code.

I waved at a Beek loading supers onto the ute tray and he waved back...

All in the gesture?

Brought a few frames of honey home yesterday. Kitchen extraction this morning. Golden South Waikato honey.

[ATTACH=full]16732[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16733[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16734[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16736[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16737[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]16738[/ATTACH]

I see the advantages of plastic frames.

You could be pretty rough scraping the honey off and not leave big holes in the frames

I see the advantages of plastic frames.

You could be pretty rough scraping the honey off and not leave big holes in the frames

Yes. I do like plastics when they are well drawn. I prefer wax foundation, always 100 percent drawn no missed sections of the frame.

• Like 1
Yes. I do like plastics when they are well drawn. I prefer wax foundation, always 100 percent drawn no missed sections of the frame.

What about the chewed up from the bottom

I have been told that that mainly happens when you put undrawn foundation in a hive without a decent flow on

What about the chewed up from the bottom

I have been told that that mainly happens when you put undrawn foundation in a hive without a decent flow on

You can have a nicely drawn wax foundation brood frame going in to winter. Come spring the little sods have chewed it out around the bottom and sides. Never been an issue though they tend to fill it out again in the honey super.

You can have a nicely drawn wax foundation brood frame going in to winter. Come spring the little sods have chewed it out around the bottom and sides. Never been an issue though they tend to fill it out again in the honey super.

Hope fully next season we will have a decent flow and decent weather so all foundation will be drawn nicely.

Last season fantastic weather and no flow, this season great flowering and crap weather.

So not always the heat to really get nectar flowing and there is a lot of moisture around to dilute the nectar.

Still hoping for a run of dry windless days

Very hot afternoon in the South Waikato. @RGBees These are my hives that started as 2 frames of bees back at the end of November. Ten of these colonies had a second super added today as they have packed out the 10 frame boxes, the rest are probably another couple of weeks away from filling out the single brood box. There is lots of nectar being stored in open brood cells and it was time to remove the entrance reducers. Starting to get dry up this way but the bees are busy on a flow.

Was actually out your way on Sunday, taking in the sights of Putaruru and having a much needed dip in the blue springs.

Today I'm grateful for weeds. Privet, yarrow & fennel. That was all we saw flowering today. The Rere Falls are down to a trickle, the Rockslide looks more like a go-cart track and the hills are full of brown standing hay. The farms have been destocked. Just waiting for the 'official' drought to be called.

Now sitting on the back porch watching the grapes ripen and the clouds get big and fluffy. Cicadas are a bit noisy, but the cider doesn't mind.

• Like 3

I was in Tauranga today and looked at a hive in Bethlehem.

It was a single 8 or 9 days ago and now its filled 8 frames in the second box.

It was obvious by the entrance activity that it was growing fast.

The Mat was hot and glued down tight

We aren't even bothering to harvest right now just going to wait and see how things are in a few weeks.

We are usually flat out right now so it's very weird to be sitting around waiting.

You are fortunate to have the Queens to keep you occupied.

Have you got a street that takes 30 seconds to walk one side.

Its actually a roundabout