• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently, the most well known bee plant is borage. This herb is known as the ‘friendly herb’ and once you plant it will self seed for you. I find it is never a nuisance, as it seems to know where to pop up! It is easily weeded out if necessary. This herb comes in 2 colours – blue and white. The white variety is the stronger grower, and I find that the bees go to it just as much as to the blue one. Comfrey, a cousin of borage, also has flowers that the bees love.

Hardy annual to 90 cm with blue star-shaped flowers with grey-green, bristly leaves. Use young leaves and flowers in salads that impart a “mild cucumber freshness”. It will grow in a wide range of soil and it will self-seed readily. A compost activator. Companion : broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, squash, tansy and tomato.

You probably know this already but Comfrey is rich in minerals, I cut a bunch of leaves, place in an onion bag and immerse in a 200 litre water drum. After a few weeks you get a very smelly and amazingly effective fertiliser for the garden.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
Borage grows great here ....putting quite a bit more in this year...working towards an acre or so. Keeps going til the frosts. Interesting to hear about the white Grant...got some seeds off ebay to plant this Spring...hopefully soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

So what does borage honey taste like? What are its characteristics from experience? :) Maybe keen on sowing a plot for an experiment....

So what does borage honey taste like? What are its characteristics from experience? :) Maybe keen on sowing a plot for an experiment....

You'll need 100 acres or so of it to get a good crop. IMO it is the best honey. Light, delicate and creamy