NZBF Freezing frames of honey

Hi all

I have a 2 FD brood box and 1 3/4 honey super hive.

The super is going great, but the top brood box which 3 weeks ago was 75% brood is now 90% honey. I've taken a fully capped frame out to make some room as some of the capping got ripped off on the first frame I removed.

My question. I've been told you can freeze frames. Should I put it in a plastic bag first? Or maybe wrap in glad wrap?

Thanks

C

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to rapidly be turning it from a brood box to a honey box. 90% capped honey in there now. Small amount of nectar in there, but lots in the super. Being a beginner I'm not that confident with it so packed and damaged a lot of cappings getting the first frame out, so decided to reduce it to 9 frames, and have done that with the super as well.

the catch is you want that honey in the brood box for their winter stores.

whats happening is bees are reducing in numbers and backfilling the brood frames with stores. which is what you want to happen.

i don't know what your honey flows are doing there, but i would have left that frame in. if honey flow is pouring in put an extra honey super on if need be. if not just leave it. bees will pack the remaining honey into the brood.

then to prep them for winter all you have to do is remove the supers, go enjoy that and leave the bees the stores in the brood box.

Agree with Tristan, although this is my first season the bees do prep for autumn/winter soon, if the queen is not laying in those empty broad cells and instead they are been turned into honey stores they are likely the bees are prepping there winter stores, dont steal honey from the brood box or you risk starvation and a hive failure over winter or a really weak colony going into spring that spends most of the first part of the season trying to recover numbers.

Hi all

I have a 2 FD brood box and 1 3/4 honey super hive.

The super is going great, but the top brood box which 3 weeks ago was 75% brood is now 90% honey. I've taken a fully capped frame out to make some room as some of the capping got ripped off on the first frame I removed.

My question. I've been told you can freeze frames. Should I put it in a plastic bag first? Or maybe wrap in glad wrap?

Thanks

C

Yes you can freeze them. Just put them in a plastic bag. They'll keep forever in the freezer if you like.