ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Yesterdsy hanging on a branch

My experience is that they're always heads up.

Edited by yesbut

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

A lot of the hives I put staples in did exactly as @jamesc did and demolished them fairly quickly. I was surprised today when I uncapped and forked our a lot of drone brood to see not one single mite.

I thought for sure there would be some .

That's good to hear Frazzel but the reality is that a Hive that chews its Staples up in half a Brood cycle is not really treated.

Half a treatment is not a treatment.
Its really important to be on the safe side and either use the EP Staples in the Hives that are the chompers or replace the chewed Staples
Early Spring seems to be the period when the Bees are their most hygienic with the Staples
Once the flows start they have other work on their minds.
Over winter in the Broodnest is another time that the Bees will turn their attention to the Staples.

It's likely that those early Staples, along with the resulting fluff on the floor nailed what mites where there and you didn't get any reinvasion

Possibly some luck involved IMO

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Morning, i haven't been on the forum for a while and this discussion could very well be the longest one ever......... in the world. 

I live down the road from Philbee and can attest to the fact that his strip making machine is something of great wonder and certainly not something that the average Joe would able to create; it has multiple overlockers, reels, wooden frames, sensors, auto shut down features, guides and motors............... ask his wife - she loves it

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Morning, i haven't been on the forum for a while and this discussion could very well be the longest one ever......... in the world. 

I live down the road from Philbee and can attest to the fact that his strip making machine is something of great wonder and certainly not something that the average Joe would able to create; it has multiple overlockers, reels, wooden frames, sensors, auto shut down features, guides and motors............... ask his wife - she loves it

Sounds like something Heath Robinson would draw .

29 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Sounds like something Heath Robinson would draw .

Yup its something straight out of Tunnicliffs.
I build a lot of the Thermowood  manufacturing plant and this would fit right in with that plant
Anyone whose been through their place will know what I mean

• Like 1

This is what those South Island Bees will be up against next Spring

Bring in it on Beeszes

industructable.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Were you a fan of  Gyro Gearloose

No, never heard of him
Ive always been a fan of "getting the job done" 

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

This is what those South Island Bees will be up against next Spring

Bring in it on Beeszes

industructable.jpg

Would it be easier to soak some Levi’s and put them in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, cBank said:

Would it be easier to soak some Levi’s and put them in?

Short answer , No

It doesnt matter if I do 1 line of stitch or 8 lines, 2 overlocks or non, the paper only passes through the machine once.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Short answer , No

It doesnt matter if I do 1 line of stitch or 8 lines, 2 overlocks or non, the paper only passes through the machine once.

You must have two 4 thread overlockers butted up against  each other to do 8 lines .

Tricky , one will be going the wrong way .

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

You must have two 4 thread overlockers butted up against  each other to do 8 lines .

Tricky , one will be going the wrong way .

Lol 

Almost Kaihoka, but not exactly, 
Just 2 overlockers and either 1 or 2 mult ineedle plain sewers all in a line.

Obviously one Overlocker is not playing the same game as the other.

Highly sophisticated machine overall.

• Like 2

Yesbut was right about Gyro Gearloose  then

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

Counting the two overlocks the machine can do 10 lines in a single pass and up to 6 layers of Tape.

The overlockers are 4 threaders but I run just 3 threads on them.
If the overlockers run 4 threads then thats 12 lines of thread per pass.

James's Bees dont know what they are up against.

42 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Counting the two overlocks the machine can do 10 lines in a single pass and up to 6 layers of Tape.

The overlockers are 4 threaders but I run just 3 threads on them.
If the overlockers run 4 threads then thats 12 lines of thread per pass.

James's Bees dont know what they are up against.

Do you need a size 100 (16) needle to get through 6 layers .

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you need a size 100 (16) needle to get through 6 layers .

No. I use #14 
The only time the machines currently do 6 layers is when I join the tape .
These joins easily run through the Machines at speed.

• Like 1

I got my off-sider some new leather gloves, but they had holes in them within three or four days.  It seems that the oxalic/glycerine solution on the staples is eroding them, and they then break.  

Has anyone else had this problem?

And what is everyone else using for gloves when applying the staples?  I'd prefer to get something that can be used in the field for normal bk work and can also be used to apply the staples.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

15 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I got my off-sider some new leather gloves, but they had holes in them within three or four days.  It seems that the oxalic/glycerine solution on the staples is eroding them, and they then break.  

And what is everyone else using for gloves when applying the staples?  I'd prefer to get something that can be used in the field for normal bk work and can also be used to apply the staples.

What about those gloves that are rubber for hands(rubber gloves with canvas). I used to have them a while ago and after that I made my own from $7 rubber gloves from Mitre10 + couple of jeans' legs(joined by hand sewing). Now, I have the sewing machine, I will try to make a new pair on the machine.

The good thing about these gloves is I can was them with meth when there is too much propolis built on the fingers, however on a sunny day they get really hot.

Yellow kitchen gloves

Cheap and light weight

If one gets a hole in it I rumage through my pile of them and if a good one is the wrong hand I just turn it inside out

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Dry them out.  To me if they have a transfers rate that eats through gloves then the transfer rate is to high to the bees. You want a  slower release rate imo. 

I think I missed a key step when I made mine. I soaked them in OA and glycerine, then left them in the container. I ran them thru my fingers to squeeze out excess moisture just before inserting to the hive. I did not dry them out. Is this a necessary step? Doesn't seem to have caused any problems so far.

@Markypoo it is a moot point.  We are not 100% sure yet. Some say it does not matter, others it is better drier. IMO it is safer however i am not expert on the subject. 

Edited by flash4cash

18 hours ago, CraBee said:

We had the same problem ..... so we gave up wearing gloves except in dire situations....

19 hours ago, CraBee said:

I was using some gloves we get from work, which are a fabric type with a rubber coating on the underside (palm and fingers) they got chewed up pretty quick....so have gone back to my leather riggers gloves...they still fine.

The heavy duty blue nitrile gloves sold for milking cows come in boxes of 100 - with longer cuffs would be suitable, although commercials would possibly only get one or two apiaries out of a pair. Usually a good deal at Field Days at Mystery Creek.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1