ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

2 hours ago, flash4cash said:

One of my hives today had mites in it, almost had a heart attack. 

Ive just gone back and found your post about your treatments this season.

Cardboard and they went in in Autumn with no spring treatment

You've done well to get to this point with few Mites  IMO.

Can you tell us a bit about your cardboard strips, e.g what cardboard, what strength and how many strips etc

Edited by Philbee

Hard Case 

My machines have relays that "click" in and out in a steady slow rhythm 

The state of the process can be appraised by this rhythm.
When the machine crashes it often does so spectacularly, requiring the tedious task of  re threading over lockers.

The idea is to catch any thread breakdown early.

Today the Machine was humming along when the relays started to click randomly, gaining in frequency at an alarming rate.

Running up and down the length of the machine I frantically tried to find the cause of impending disaster.

It was hail hitting the tin roof of the shed

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

Lol @Oma The clicking of light hail on the roof sounds the same as the clicking of relays.
Once your brain has latched onto the idea that the sound is coming from relays and you start to panic its very difficult to step back and be objective.

Only once the sound of the hail reaches that of 1000 relays are you forced to look around for another possible source of the clicking sound

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Philbee said:

Lol @Oma The clicking of light hail on the roof sounds the same as the clicking of relays.
Once your brain has latched onto the idea that the sound is coming from relays and you start to panic its very difficult to step back and be objective.

Only once the sound of the hail reaches that of 1000 relays are you forced to look around for another possible source of the clicking sound

Do you blow the lint out of the machines with a compressor .

It really builds up around the needles.

Maybe gib tape doesn't have lint .

Do you have 2x or 3x glasses for re threading the loopers .

22 hours ago, Philbee said:

Ive just gone back and found your post about your treatments this season.

Cardboard and they went in in Autumn with no spring treatment

You've done well to get to this point with few Mites  IMO.

Can you tell us a bit about your cardboard strips, e.g what cardboard, what strength and how many strips etc

Cardboard was one used in book binding.  40% ox soaked for 48 hrs.  4 strips per box layed out in 2 ways.  One across the middle like you every 2 frame  and the other as a cross patern.  Both worked.   I did put 2 into my 5 frame nucs and killed some.  Only 1 into my 3 frames nucs and they were ok.  However they may have been different batches so maybe that was the reason.  Sometimes i overheated the mix past 70 degrees as i went and did other things. I also used an aluminum pot so maybe the early ones were affected by that killed the nucs.  In hindsight i took a hit from ox strips by losing nucs.  However it was a learning curve and i move on. 

I did not treat in spring as i saw no point. I pulled strips about 5 weeks ago to speed the hive development up.  In the 3 frame nucs they can act as a fence so i took them all out.  Of the 2 hives I have found varroa in 1 it was a strong triple out of spring that had used up all ox based on a tongue test.  The other which was a double the other day was a nuc that i pulled the strips on september when i transfer it to the box. 

So i am going to treat again now.  I aim to control my varroa all year round as i want clean hives that are super healthy.  I only sell bees so it is important when they go to customers they are in tip top condition. My buyers have been very happy with the bees, they look great and expand so fast with no signs of viruses. 

I am keem to give your ones a go @Philbee so i can compare.  Both full size double stich and the thinner ones.  Thouse thin ones look similar width to the ones i used. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you blow the lint out of the machines with a compressor .

It really builds up around the needles.

Maybe gib tape doesn't have lint .

Do you have 2x or 3x glasses for re threading the loopers .

I suck the lint away with vaccum as the Paper Tape is very linty
Also I leave the knifes on so they tend to cut a fine lint.

Ive found that glasses from 1.5 to 3 do well for threading needles but I have sharp shears that cut the thread neat and always thread with tweezers.
The loopers seem to all have large holes, its the needles that are small.

Today the machine ran from 8am till 10.30 pm and used at least 50km of thread

On the EP machine there are 10 cones feeding at once.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flash4cash said:

I am keem to give your ones a go @Philbee so i can compare.  Both full size double stich and the thinner ones.  Thouse thin ones look similar width to the ones i used. 

Good idea

We are in Hamilton every couple of weeks.
Just send a message

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

Today the machine ran from 8am till 10.30 pm and used at least 50km of thread

On the EP machine there are 10 cones feeding at once.

Is it automatic or is someone physically sitting there doing it ?

16 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Is it automatic or is someone physically sitting there doing it ?

Its Automatic in that its 3 machines combined working together at once 
The Gib tape is fed in one end and 300m rolls of Staple come off the other end.
Its still needs a person watching it though as when a thread breaks the whole machine needs to stop instantly.
One major issue has been cheap thread.
It has joins in it from where it has snapped in the Mill over in China and they have joined it together again.
These knots will go through a bottom Looper but not the eye of a needle.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

One downside i am finding is where the strips were and the bees draw the comb around them after taken them out the bees have decided to make the strip area into drone brood.  So i have scraped it clean and told them to improve their behaviour. 

• Haha 1

I am also not sure if in the big hives that pulling strips made any difference to hive build up to be honest.  Next time I think i will just leave them in.  The ones i left with strips still in are pumping.  As long as they are not being a fence for the queen it is not problem. 

• Good Info 2

12 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

I am also not sure if in the big hives that pulling strips made any difference to hive build up to be honest.  Next time I think i will just leave them in.  The ones i left with strips still in are pumping.  As long as they are not being a fence for the queen it is not problem. 

Im seeing via reports back that the effects on Hives are as varied as the Hive themselves.
There was one Beek who put them in 2000 Hives  back in August then  2 weeks later called me absolutely shocked with the setback to his Hives.

It knocked them for a six and some, and he was really concerned that the experience was going to cost him about a Million bucks.
I suggested he sit tight which I can imagine was a very difficult thing for him to do. 

He told me later that he very nearly pulled all the Staples out but figured that the situation was so dire that he may as well run with the treatment 
He went around and removed 2 of the four Staples in each box and repackaged them in their Pails.
That was 3 months ago.
On Sunday he called me and is totally thrilled with the Hives
They are the best he has ever seen them and way ahead of their normal build up.

I cautioned him about the lower dose and suggested he keep a close eye on the Mite counts.

Others dont see any Knock back at all.

One Beek today reported more superceedure  than normally expected, again not common it but has been reported.

Brood damage is more common.

One thing is becoming clear and that is the edge protected Staple is going to become more common and will eventually replace the others

This is because Im getting faster at making them and the material costs are just extra thread.
My Sewing machine supplier says Ah Grasshopper, better 2 machines going slow than one like Hand Grenade. 

and of course he is correct.

• Like 6

@Philbee how does the oa kill the mites and not the bees .

What is the biology and chemistry in this reaction .? 

Ox is 60 times more toxic to mites than bees. So dose to kill mites but not to strong as to kill bees.  Weaker/diseases  bees probably die easier.  Thats a good thing as they are liabilities in a hive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

Ox is 60 times more toxic to mites than bees. So dose to kill mites but not to strong as to kill bees.  Weaker/diseases  bees probably die easier.  Thats a good thing as they are liabilities in a hive. 

Is it a size thing . And a higher dosage would kill a bee.

Insecticides that kill arachnids can kill bees .

3 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

It’s their sticky feet, it seems.

https://oxavap.com/pictures/

It doesn't say how the OA kills them

All it demonstrates is that OA sticks to their feet.

24 minutes ago, Philbee said:

And just been doing more reading. There’s a numbers of theories as I’m sure you are better informed then me...

37 minutes ago, Philbee said:

It says that the OA gets into the mite's hemolymph after it builds up on its moist legs and I assume it poisons the mite which dies in few hours.

• Like 2

Aah so Grasshopper ..... we have forgotten all about the mites now. All we is worried about now is hungry bees  and queens looking for some warm weather loving.. I tell yah man. It's a hard life being a bee. If the mite don't get you, then the starvation will, or you end up hanging upside down in a  tree in the pouring rain.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Aah so Grasshopper ..... we have forgotten all about the mites now. All we is worried about now is hungry bees  and queens looking for some warm weather loving.. I tell yah man. It's a hard life being a bee. If the mite don't get you, then the starvation will, or you end up hanging upside down in a  tree in the pouring rain.

Hungry Bees?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

When did you last see an upside down bee in a swarm cluster ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

When did you last see an upside down bee in a swarm cluster ?

Yesterdsy hanging on a branch

A lot of the hives I put staples in did exactly as @jamesc did and demolished them fairly quickly. I was surprised today when I uncapped and forked our a lot of drone brood to see not one single mite.

I thought for sure there would be some .

• Like 5