Oxalic and glycerine

29 minutes ago, tony said:

Did a 35% mix today, what I found it absorbs better and faster into overboard, makes sense.

How many people out there using this as there only treatment  now? I am really interested in how this treatment plans out.

Did you move up to 35% or down in strength to 35%?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I love Over lockers

My first was an old Union Special and it was incredibly finicky and difficult to set the loopers.

Ive moved on a bit now though.
The only time I break needles is when the presser foot isnt latched home properly.

Sewing machine mechanics are very skilled engineers Id say

As for tweezers, yes they are my new tool of choice along with a Screw Driver and torch.

Im glad I found the magical world of sewing machines

Those long tweezers with a hook on the end are just so usefull everywhere.

They are always on hand when doing stuff with electronics .

I have a juki . I would love one with differential feed , not important for you because you are not sewing stretch.

18 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Those long tweezers with a hook on the end are just so usefull everywhere.

They are always on hand when doing stuff with electronics .

I have a juki . I would love one with differential feed , not important for you because you are not sewing stretch.

Mine all have diff feed

but as you say , no use on paper.

Had a Kingtex for a while but just a short while, if you get what I mean.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, tony said:

Moved down from 40% oa, also tried 60% oa, it seems even harder to soak in. 

I did experiments with solution strengths when I was trying to sell premix Solution

I started with 50% and put it in the fridge at 2 deg or whatever a fridge is.
It gelled overnight

40% would stay in solution at 2 deg for days.
I think 60% is past saturation point so a non starter 

In my trials 50% is the max solution strength and if you soak Staples in 50% the surplus solution will crystallize or gell on cooling.
50% does make for a nice dry Staple though

One of my customers has mastered 50% solution making, I should get him to teach me.

I make 320 card board staples a day at moment, 160 ever 12 hrs, I can make 50% mix no problem, I have a commercial deep fryer with temp set around 40-50 deg and if you don't stack to many in ( loosely stacked) you can do it successfully, the cardboard does swell.

I'm still not sure what ratio is best I can probably get away with lower because it's not my only treatment but if your trying to use this a a replacement for another product maybe 50% is better, that's on of the reasons why I asked earlier if anyone was using this as their sole treatment, and also so we can see just how effective this treatment really is on it's own would be interesting.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2018 at 10:42 PM, Jamo said:

Trying to add photo of dryboard shims. They are about 1.1m long

Have just cut some to length on bandsaw very quick. Somewhat different to ovaboard. Will put a few in and see how they go

1538903531289200.jpg

Got some turn up today looks like a lot more wood chips in it but will be super easy to make for the small timers. I'll run some up in a day or two to see how it goes 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
14 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

All that extra work . 

All that extra pain you mean. The last one rose up en masse and blammed me. Fat hands itched all night. Most unlike our swarms. All four have been titchy. I don't know if they're earlier than usual or just that I've started looking a bit earlier which I have done. They'll all get a towel or staple soon.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, yesbut said:

All that extra pain you mean. The last one rose up en masse and blammed me. Fat hands itched all night. Most unlike our swarms. All four have been titchy.

Maybe it’s the OA? When I get it in the house there is a change in temperament.

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Been there done that got a stash as soon as it's gone it's rolled up newsprint for me.

You may qualify for a Pet discount on some staples, EPs (Edge protected) at that.

Are you neutered and does your collar have a Bell?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I can see why you do not often wear it .

That color would not go with everything .

The colours not bad, at least it's easy to find in the dark when he needs tieing up at night, I'd expect the dingling bell under the throat would would not be helpful with swarm predation 

• Haha 2

I have found this paper take made in Chicago, USA. Apparently it has a harmful effect on marine life according to its safety data sheet.

However I think it will not decompose in hive by itself.

https://www.usgboral.com/en_au/products/finishes-compounds/joint-tapes/sheetrock-paper-joint-tape.html

Scroll down to see the technical data sheet and the safety data sheet.

In NZ it is available from NZ ceiling and drywall supplies     https://www.nzcds.co.nz/About+Us/Branch++Contact+Information.html

4 hours ago, M4tt said:

A week after moving the staples to the end of the frames, the brood cells have been repaired where the wax had been stripped underneath and are full of eggs and the bees are making full use of the frames 

Same here, a little shuffling around works wonders 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1