Oxalic and glycerine

Trying to add photo of dryboard shims. They are about 1.1m long

On 3/10/2018 at 3:02 PM, glynn said:

Is there any one on here using the jib shims from ovaboard sounds like it's put the guillotine into retirement pre cut into 25 mm strips and 2 mm thick they are using this over in the states. Someone down here has just got two pellets worth.

Have just cut some to length on bandsaw very quick. Somewhat different to ovaboard. Will put a few in and see how they go

1538903531289200.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Jamo said:

Trying to add photo of dryboard shims. They are about 1.1m long

Have just cut some to length on bandsaw very quick. Somewhat different to ovaboard. Will put a few in and see how they go

1538903531289200.jpg

Nice yes I'm getting some sent down to compare will be easier to cut the strip 

I’ve seen a few hives today where the queen appears to see the staple as a barrier in the hive and won’t cross it to lay on the other end of the frames, so I’m experimenting after reading how @tony places his and I’ve moved the staples in those hives to the ends of the frames. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I’ve seen a few hives today where the queen appears to see the staple as a barrier in the hive and won’t cross it to lay on the other end of the frames, so I’m experimenting after reading how @tony places his and I’ve moved the staples in those hives to the ends of the frames. 

Ive seen that also

Is the Brood at the entrance end with the pollen and the Honey at the rear?

It was reports of this that lead to the narrow (25mm) wide Staple

Edited by Philbee
2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Ive seen that also

Is the Brood at the entrance end with the pollen and the Honey at the rear?

Yes I have that , as well as brood and stores at the front of the frames and empty at the back past the staple , and vice verse. Sometimes the brood is at the back. In all cases the staple is the barrier . I’m estimating 10% of hives 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2
2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Might be a good idea to source a comprehensive material Data sheet for that Jamo (producer Statement) 

What really makes my day is when Beeks who have brought thousands of Staples order thousands more.
I dont really give a Hoot about the money side of it but hearing the stories is a real buzz.

Today 10000 were ordered by two repeat customers and also a phone conversation with another  Beek who was over the moon  that She couldn't find a single mite with Alcohol washes in two commercial Staple trial sites that are expanding well.

She had a visiting Beek with her who was equally bemused.
Another phone call was from an employee of a large outfit who has been so impressed with what he's seen at work that he wants some for his own  hives.
Just another day

Good to see others experimenting still.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Good to see others experimenting still.  

I dont see an end to the experimenting.
The system overall has a firm foothold in the industry and as long as Beeks are sensible there should be a bright future for OA etc
I do think that tracability is important though, so materials need to be sourced appropriately and reliable documentation obtained.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
14 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Have i got this correct @Philbee  it is being used as a carrier and stays in the brood frames in doesn't disperse and doesn't disappear.  Or does it disperse throughout the hive?

I spilt some on my workshop floor and a water blaster struggled to remove it.
What Im saying is, just because its a harmless substance, that doesn't mean a Hive should swim in it.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Philbee said:

Be very aware that there are Companies in some Countries who when asked for Product Data or Producer Statements, will ask the customer what they want the document to say.

This is a fact

Mmmmm.... gets me thinking 

I was delving in a single brood box hive last night looking for Larva to graft. The queen is called Nana as she was nurtured by Glynn's Nana in her early life. The hive had two of Glynn's overboard strips and two of Philbee's staples. The overboard in the centre of the brood was about gone. The staples to the outside were just starting to be chewed out at three weeks. 

Science in action ?

17 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Ok Guy , News just in through a solid contact of mine who has just spoken with Randy Oliver.
Randy  has found that in his applications that a mix of 1g OA mixed with 1ml GL gives the best results 

Translated that is 

1g OA with 1.25g GL

This is a mix strength of 44% OA

All credit to Randy Oliver

This info is about to be published

Nice one be good to have the back up from someone like Randy especially since he's done work with the FDA

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

I was delving in a single brood box hive last night looking for Larva to graft. The queen is called Nana as she was nurtured by Glynn's Nana in her early life. The hive had two of Glynn's overboard strips and two of Philbee's staples. The overboard in the centre of the brood was about gone. The staples to the outside were just starting to be chewed out at three weeks. 

Science in action ?

Yep they remove the center strips a lot faster than the ones on the outside but I like the idea of them opening up the brood nest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Ok Guy , News just in through a solid contact of mine who has just spoken with Randy Oliver.
Randy  has found that in his applications that a mix of 1g OA mixed with 1ml GL gives the best results 

Translated that is 

1g OA with 1.25g GL

This is a mix strength of 44% OA

All credit to Randy Oliver

This info is about to be published

Have just walked in from the shed having made up some at 35% ?

Is the Randy analysis using the Gib staples?

Do you know if that is Spring or Autumn?

I've started thinking I've been a total idiot mucking around first with towels then with Phil's staples.  Folded up sheets of newsprint soak up OG just great and I anticipate having no problem at all keeping an eye on them in my three hives at home.  Another trap for the hobbyist, thinking they have to go down the same track as the commercials. 

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, glynn said:

Nice one be good to have the back up from someone like Randy especially since he's done work with the FDA

On a side note Randy's new finding are about the same as the Argentinian brew.

That's been used for over 10 years now.

Maybe I'm barking up the ring tree with the low oa mix. Hmm but it's been working well so far?

2 minutes ago, glynn said:

On a side note Randy's new finding are about the same as the Argentinian brew.

That's been used for over 10 years now.

Maybe I'm barking up the ring tree with the low oa mix. Hmm but it's been working well so far?

Possibly because it is Spring and mite numbers are already low...perhaps Autumn would be a different story?

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Have just walked in from the shed having made up some at 35% ?

Is the Randy analysis using the Gib staples?

Do you know if that is Spring or Autumn?

Its about to be published so Ill come back with the name of the publication.
Its easy to add some OA to a mix, 

He didnt say but I do believe it isnt with shop towels although that also needs to be clarified
It also backs up what has been going on here as well

40% does seem to be working well however so does 35%,

Randy's study is based on Efficacy as well as minimizing negative effects whereas my push back up to 40/50% has been  largely driven by a desire to reduce GL out of gut instinct more than anything.

Edited by Philbee