Oxalic and glycerine

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

Posted Images

14 hours ago, tony said:

I haven't put anything in here for a while, but reading through a lot of the latest stuff and talking to a lot of beekeepers who use an array of treatments it appears that hives generally are in better condition than normal for this time of year, including ours we have probably double the amount of brood than we normally would for this time of year, I would be vary carefull to say that oa/gly is responsible for this. There's no doubt it works but there could be more to it, have we learnt to use protein supplements better, have we figured out that with a formic treatment at the right time is setting us up for winter better, I've been around long enough and used various kinds of products to understand that different seasons bring different challenges. It seems that oa/gly is working well though personally have not used the gib tape version for personal reasons but the oa/gly is showing a really promising future for varroa treatment, I can't wait till we can afford to get some good research around this treatment.

I imagine the data will come flooding in this season. I for one will be keeping particular track of the hives that I have 'staples' in. But I certainly won't be only using OA/GL on all hives.

1 hour ago, Rashika said:

so where are people getting the glycerine from? Cant seem to locate many places online...

got mine from pure nature, if you need small amount (1kg) is easy, 10 bucks or 18 if you want organic

for bigger quantities you should look elsewhere

• Agree 1

Maqs was a big hit, tons of varroa fell under the hive, the strips are removed completely. Heaps of bees, whole frames are full with fresh eggs so Mme Q survived. We'll see how they behave from now on.

GLOA staples are in now, it's a messy business making them in small quantities, I had to clean the kitchen from top to bottom. It must be easier in a pail in a shed :)

The bees were moving away from the staples but some of them were walking on them happily. I did not refill the feeder, they had their fun... 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Philbee said:

Hmm, not enough staples in that staple
Im reluctant to say why but its true
There is a reason why they are stitched 

Ahhh but you haven't seen the staples in my staple. I had the idea of the two folds before I stapled them. Rest assured, on the hangy downy bits, there is a solid line of staples. I even used a mini stapler, rather than an office stapler, so there are even more staples in it. I just didn't staple on the bit that rests over the top of the bar.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Might need to get 'child labour' onto the job - create the creases / fold over a file or something the perfect size (with bee space) before going in the bucket...

Ha

himself suggested to me “I could stitch the horizontal fold lines ?

well why not.... fold along dotted line minus the cotton..

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Ahhh but you haven't seen the staples in my staple. I had the idea of the two folds before I stapled them. Rest assured, on the hangy downy bits, there is a solid line of staples. I even used a mini stapler, rather than an office stapler, so there are even more staples in it. I just didn't staple on the bit that rests over the top of the bar.

Lol Suspected as much, just checking:3_grin:

14 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Farmlands have it, I assume RD1 will also have it.

Farmers use it.

Buy the food Grade stuff.

Comes in 4 lt, 20 lt or 200 lt containers.

The farmlands stuff is not vegetable based we get ours from a place up north cheaper than the farmlands stuff 

On 5/09/2018 at 1:57 PM, Rashika said:

so where are people getting the glycerine from? Cant seem to locate many places online...

You can get Shine glycerine (BellBooth) in 5ltrs for about $35 from Farm Source or Farmlands. They will order it if they don't have it. It's vege based.

Edited by Daniel Benefield
  • Good Info 1

Today I went out and started to have another look at the effects of Staples on Nucs.
I selected a 3 frame over wintered nuc that was struggling along but growing and a 5 framer that experienced a massive die off late last summer for no apparent reason.
This hive picked itself up and wintered in 5 frames
I also treated about 10 other 5 framers.
The 3 framer got 2 Staples the rest got 3 and 4 Staples set in a standard pattern across the box.
Attached are the photos of the two smallest Nosmea tests.
The goal here is to try and get a die off from these hives, hence the heavy doses and also to see if there may be an initial conection between the die off and the Nosema counts which are both high.

If any Hives shouldn't have made it to Spring alive its these two

3 frame nuc on hill.jpg

summer die off over wintered.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/09/2018 at 2:57 PM, Philbee said:

My goodness, its as if I wrote that myself.
35% /65% are the current numbers although Glynn is using 30%/ 70% with success in Ova board.
The important bit you havent mentioned is that the Staples need to be stripped of all excess liquid as they are put in the hive although your 28-30g Staple weight is spot on

With this ratio do you still use water as with randy Oliver's 50/50 mix?

2 minutes ago, Rhsgc said:

With this ratio do you still use water as with randy Oliver's 50/50 mix?

Can you expand on Randy's 50/50 mix?
Does he still use this mix?

Im seriously looking at using 40 or 50% this winter with no water added
I dont use any water at 35% OA but its up to you 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Can you expand on Randy's 50/50 mix?
Does he still use this mix?

Im seriously looking at using 40 or 50% this winter with no water added
I dont use any water at 35% OA but its up to you 

This is his current formula, not quite 50/50 but fairly close per towel

If it dissolves without the water I won't bother either

Screenshot_20180906-152741_Chrome.jpg

He has  replace some of the GL with water.
Interestingly I have come to a similar conclusion for over winter Staples, only Im replacing the GL with OA because the possibility of residues in Honey is much lower at that time. 40-50%

GL is a very tenacious material 

well I dunno ..... we been disease checking and feeding and sugar shaking our way through bees today and it's all pretty worrying as things all look too good ..... particularly with no mites picked up in sugar shakes. The cloths work very well and perhaps we will just keep chucking them in over the season to keep the little critters at bay. I talked with a neighbour Bee man at lunchtime who also reports no mites, and he ain't using O/A ...... maybe  Selwyn district now has varroa tolerant bees.

• Like 1