ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

This must be one of the Mysteries of this resistance issue.

Maybe there is a regional difference in Mites or some other external influence.

As I understand it resistance is caused by a random genetic mutation in a mite, not from the misuse of a treatment.  I think @Alastair knows all about this.  That would explain why one area may be effected and not another area / region.  

Dave Black is the man to talk to about that.

However just cos one apiary gets resistant mites doesn't mean all the apiaries also have to at the same time. Just checked another apiary today, and bayvarol has worked fine at that one.

Edited by Alastair

11 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Back in the olden days, industrial grade glycerine was produced at the freezing works from the tallow as one of the byproducts.

you sure about that, i know they made gelatine from hoofs, skins etc never heard of GL

2 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

you sure about that, i know they made gelatine from hoofs, skins etc never heard of GL

They made quite a range of manufacturing chemicals from it, one of which was used as the active ingredient in fabric softner.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We use bayvarol and apivar and very rarely see mites and the only time we have pms issues is when we miss a hive during treatment.

Just mentioning it because up till today we have no resistance problems although I'm sure they will eventually come.

I wonder , and only offer it up as a comment , have you forgotten what a good bee hive looked like ?  

4 hours ago, glynn said:

Checked some hives and nucs with the strips in today so far it's been 3 weeks.

IMG_20180408_122438.jpg

This nuc had no food needed to be feed 

2 minutes ago, glynn said:

This nuc had no food needed to be feed 

I was'nt gonna comment !

• Haha 1

image.png.19c0cf7fc31c25c8cdd6ff5c7b3e7912.png

Hmm that doesnt look good PMS maybe??

I thought I posted a comment about these cardboard strips that concerns or at least interests me.

That is these cardboard strips appear to hold the treatment in where the gib tap system gives the visual impression of a damp sheen that offers the mix out.
Its just an observation that may be worth noting

Edited by Philbee

Don't think so Phill more like it flapping it's wings they where not to pleased to see me today will keep a close eye on things sill getting zip on a mite wash after 3 weeks 

13 minutes ago, glynn said:

Don't think so Phill more like it flapping it's wings they where not to pleased to see me today will keep a close eye on things sill getting zip on a mite wash after 3 weeks 

Ah yes that will be it, indeed

Some hives that have had the Scott towels

IMG_20180408_172946.jpg

• Like 3

Went round some hives that have had the Gib tape in them for 3 weeks starting to see them removing the tape all hives fit and well most are still 3 boxes high with 2 boxes of brood.

They have removed the wax around the tape reducing the amount of brood per frame 4 stips ie 8 wide bits missing.

I wonder now how well they will work with just two strips per box.

IMG_20180419_154122.thumb.jpg.1b8e5ee5f88afae889080f92aeeb524e.jpgIMG_20180419_154539.thumb.jpg.98d6611dcc60c73f3885f57cab13eb25.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2018 at 5:36 PM, glynn said:

I wonder now how well they will work with just two strips per box.

Be careful, part of the success of these is in there surface area per hive IMO.
Ive just been out to my last site check for the season
A far flung site in Medium / high density hive land.
The Hives got Pams OA on 7/11/17 and Gib OA laminates in Feb  2018
4 staples (8 strips) per box and they are looking great.
After more than 2 months the Gib Tape Laminates are about say 20% chewed and still giving of OA.
Each of the 8 strips per box contains 5g OA and 5g GL

Glynn, it looks like your strips are single layer??

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

No double layer stiched in the middle.

I've been finding it hard to find any mites in any hives some I got the strips in late have come back strong.

Bring on next year 

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Be careful, part of the success of these is in there surface area per hive IMO.
Ive just been out to my last site check for the season
A far flung site in Medium / high density hive land.
The Hives got Pams OA on 7/11/17 and Gib OA laminates in Feb  2018
4 staples (8 strips) per box and they are looking great.
After more than 2 months the Gib Tape Laminates are about say 20% chewed and still giving of OA.
Each of the 8 strips per box contains 5g OA and 5g GL

Glynn, it looks like your strips are single layer??

Philbee, are you saying the 8 strips each contain 5gOA and 5g GL or combined they contain that amount?

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Philbee, are you saying the 8 strips each contain 5gOA and 5g GL or combined they contain that amount?

Each strip, of which there are 4 per box comprises of a 430mm long length of triple layer gib tape
So each 430mm strip folds in half to form a staple with leg lengths of 200mm approx.
This means that there are 8 legs in each box, about one per seam.

Each 200mm leg holds 5g OA and 5g GL  which means that each seam of bees gets 5g OA on a leg of 50mm wide by 200mm long

This equates to 40g OA per box which is a lot but it should be considered that these strips hold the OA/GL for a long time (months)

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Ive named these Paper Tape Laminate strips as Turntide strips.
Turntide is a registered pest control trademark that Ive had for many years.

The overboard has been called mite busters

On 6/04/2018 at 7:30 PM, jamesc said:

Yes well ..... I know it's off topic BUT ..... we bought a cheaper extractor five weeks ago. Today it fell apart.  I have to laugh at myself but 4k as opposed to 38k. We can fix it, but I don't understand why people make "cheap " gear. Why not spend an extra $200 and use thicker grade stainless ? It's all tied in with the whole issue of climate change .... nobody really cares anymore as long as they can make a dollar today and tomorrow is someone elses' problem.

Hi @jamesc is this the one you were talking of buying from Lyson.  If so can you say what fell apart.

16 hours ago, glynn said:

No double layer stiched in the middle.

I've been finding it hard to find any mites in any hives some I got the strips in late have come back strong.

Bring on next year 

My view is that the middle layer of the three is a reservoir  that keeps the strip going for the extended periods.

Edited by Philbee
  • Good Info 1

How long are the 3 layer strips lasting in a cranking hive ?

In the photos you can see the 2 layer ones getting slowly chewed up the overboard is lasting 6 weeks in strong hives .

I will see how the spring goes would be good to only treat twice a year say Gib tape in spring with the longer lasting strip then the overboard in autumn where a stronger dose in less time. Think the Gib tape will be better with the increase in brood 

2 hours ago, fieldbee said:

Hi @jamesc is this the one you were talking of buying from Lyson.  If so can you say what fell apart.

Uh huh .... 42 frame.  The stainless legs at the bottom of the tank which hold it to the legs are way to flexible and fractured. We ended up pulling themachine  apart and chopping the legs down to take out the speed wobble . It seems to work. We'll build a solid base  to bolt the drum to  over the winter.  Like I said. It was cheap. Just like the overalls we bought the other day that were made in pakistan or where ever.  Charlie's replacement wore them for three days and proclaimed last night that the crotch had split out on them.

Went through nucs,gave them a feed,looking good,

IMG_20180501_154106.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, glynn said:

How long are the 3 layer strips lasting in a cranking hive ?

In the photos you can see the 2 layer ones getting slowly chewed up the overboard is lasting 6 weeks in strong hives .

I will see how the spring goes would be good to only treat twice a year say Gib tape in spring with the longer lasting strip then the overboard in autumn where a stronger dose in less time. Think the Gib tape will be better with the increase in brood 

First thing to mention is that there are one or two hives in any 500 group that will chomp through anything you put in there overnight
But for the vast majority of hives that were treated in mid Feb the triples are only 20% chewed at the end of April.
These strips will go through winter
The summer triples lasted much better than the Pams Cloth and I would be confident of triples lasting a month in the strongest of hives 
Also it will be the center strips that get chewed out first and I put them right the way across the box so there are always strips working in the hive
I have never seen a hive remove all the strips  and 50% might be the max Ive seen chewed in a hive.
I have only seen one staple that was 90% chewed, it was just a pile of fluff on the floor.

Overall these Gib Tape strips are very tough and release OA over a prolonged period 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2