Jump to content

Oxalic and glycerine


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

Posted Images

I was splitting a site earlier today (15 hives), they got Bayverol (it was excellent) in the Spring, followed up with Ox/Gly.  The hives were all really good, and I'd see the chewed up pulp cardboard on the hive floor, until I got to a hive where I saw mites on bees straight-away.   There was no sign of the cardboard pulp on the floor, I can only presume I missed treating it.  Another tick for Ox/Gly.   

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Philbee said:

For what?
What does "for that" refer to?

You don’t need a second account when logging on to another devise. You can use the same logon details across multiple media devices. Smartphones, tablets or PC. If remembering what your password is, is a problem and you have yourself set as “remember me” you can change your password to a new one that you can then use to set other devices to do the same. After that you will be able to login as your current user.

FYI, some time ago the site cleaned out multiple user account under the same IP address.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dansar said:

You don’t need a second account when logging on to another devise. You can use the same logon details across multiple media devices. Smartphones, tablets or PC. If remembering what your password is, is a problem and you have yourself set as “remember me” you can change your password to a new one that you can then use to set other devices to do the same. After that you will be able to login as your current user.

FYI, some time ago the site cleaned out multiple user account under the same IP address.

yes of course but I couldnt remember my password.
The device remembered the password from a similar event some time before.
It is actually all a bit beyond me as I dont even use a smart phone

Edited by Philbee
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

yes of course but I couldnt remember my password.
The device remembered the password from a similar event some time before.
It is actually all a bit beyond me as I dont even use a smart phone

You’ve got some teenagers there. Employ  one of them as your IT contractor ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, Philbee said:

50/50 has been my treatment mix from the srart
I had intended to reduce the dose but it has been a case of reluctance to change  what has worked.

 

do you buy the thick or the runny glycerine or does it make no difference ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

do you buy the thick or the runny glycerine or does it make no difference ?

My GL is the thick one as far as I can work out
My inquiries have indicated that the thin one is for cold climates and is obtained by special order 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of thoughts/observations on OA / GL

If you decide to try the gib tape version and use just one layer of tape instead of the 3 layer stitched laminate dont come crying about it not working if it doesnt
If it does work though, do let us know
I wintered done about 40 hives today that had 2 month old Pams cloths in them in working condition
These hives looked great, with zero visual evidence of any Varroa.

So far my operation this season is almost completely PMS free and its great to be able to see a hive for it's secondary issues which in the past were buried beneath layers of PMS type symptoms.
The most obvious secondary issue  which is now my primary issue relates to Queen failures.
When a hive is split the donor Queen stays with one of the hives either staying put or moved away.
If cells are used, then these Queens are unmarked and it is impossible to track them.

The result is that there is a continual trickle of old Queens failing.
To replace all Queens every season or two is an overkill IMO and Im considering using only marked mated queens which is a huge expense 
On that note, if the industry is still afloat next season I see justification for mated queens to go to $90 each.
This season demand outstripped supply at $75 incl GST each

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If cells are used, then these Queens are unmarked and it is impossible to track them.

The result is that there is a continual trickle of old Queens failing.

 

1. Is it too time consuming for you to follow up cell success / queen mating with a find and mark session?

2. Can you not put protected cells in with the old queens befor they fail?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

 

1. Is it too time consuming for you to follow up cell success / queen mating with a find and mark session?

2. Can you not put protected cells in with the old queens befor they fail?

Its a major to follow up and mark the queens
I always have a pen so can mark queens during routine inspections etc but to do every one is out of the question
Which queens are going to fail?, thats the question, 
Some go two seasons but unless they are marked its impossible to tell for sure
I found a small hive today that had no Honey on but was just getting by, it had an old queen with  yellow mark over top of a green mark.
Not sure what her history is but I brought the hive in from the bush to requeen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Its a major to follow up and mark the queens
I always have a pen so can mark queens during routine inspections etc but to do every one is out of the question
Which queens are going to fail?, thats the question, 
Some go two seasons but unless they are marked its impossible to tell for sure
I found a small hive today that had no Honey on but was just getting by, it had an old queen with  yellow mark over top of a green mark.
Not sure what her history is but I brought the hive in from the bush to requeen

 

A couple of days back I came across a Q marked green, I was v surprised to see her, and sent her into retirement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...