ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

You want them to last as they are what Carry's the treatment

You want them to last as they are what Carry's the treatment

If you read the paper he states" What soon became apparent was that it was critical to arrive at a delivery method in which the bees would chew and remove the substrate, thus getting the acid solution onto their bodies"

I think the fibre cloth type will be hard for them to remove so they could avoid it or propolise over it, meaning you have to manually remove it?

Yes that's the point I was trying to make it has to stay in the hive long enough to work no good if they Chuck it out in the first week

Yes that's the point I was trying to make it has to stay in the hive long enough to work no good if they Chuck it out in the first week

Gotcha - the towels I put in have been in for 3 weeks now and I would say 60% has been chewed up and removed, so through a brood cycle - all up I'm pretty happy with the treatment, noting the nucs unless very strong didn't chew it out much

Having only used a vapourizer for OA I am keen to try this method. Last weeks sugar shake gave me mite loads of 3-11 between hives so will treat tomorrow. Picked up 5 litres of glycerine from Farmlands for $35 today. Two hives with virgen queens will be left until mated.

• Like 1

They charge 60 bucks down here but I did get it as they could not tell me what it was made of does it say it's food grade. Just got 5lit of too made from rapeseed oil

Farmlands phoned the supplier to confirm this was vegetable glycerine. The brand name is Shine. I am not aware of the oils used in this product though. Other suppliers did have corn & soya oils listed & stating no palm oil. At $18 per litre (certified organic) I went with the cheaper option.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if someone mentioned it before.

It may be time consuming on commercial level, however I was thinking to cut the towels in strips and hang them between the frames. The bees may pull them out from the hive faster, however more nurse bees will get in contact with the strips and that is where I see the effectiveness.

they tried that using egg cartons in the trial and apparently work well but the bees didn't pull them out so they needed to remove them, the towel on top gets removed by the bees, either way it's still a good treatment option.
  • Like 1

I think there's alot still to learn about this treatment, it looks like its working well just now depends on how well the carrier holds up and gets cleaned out, also getting the dose rates where we want them

What I'm wondering is if any glycerine gets in the honey could it trigger a C4 read or something?

@Dave Black maybe?

Where can we buy glycerin in Auckland? I am not after 20L.

Chemist shop will sell 500 mls for 18 bucks.

It can also be purchased online from a number of vendors.

Binn Inn, alongside the brewing gear.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Mite drop from one of my hives that had a high load (dwv) this is over a week since I put the towel in

IMG_1051.JPG.9b37d0be858aac796835951d4c1a2ce5.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG.9b37d0be858aac796835951d4c1a2ce5.JPG

• Like 4

Is there a point in putting in a second towel 2 weeks after the first one?

Is there a point in putting in a second towel 2 weeks after the first one?

The towel stays in for 1 month. By which time the bees have removed it all.

Mite drop from one of my hives that had a high load (dwv) this is over a week since I put the towel in

Awesome are you seeing mites on the pads also, if so this would not be all mites dropping out. are they chewing pad yet?

The towel stays in for 1 month. By which time the bees have removed it all.

I thought it was up to two months? Think i need to re-read.

I thought it was up to two months? Think i need to re-read.

It says that it should be mostly removed by 1 month. The idea is that the bees will remove the pads so that you do not need to go back and remove the pads.

It says that it should be mostly removed by 1 month. The idea is that the bees will remove the pads so that you do not need to go back and remove the pads.

agree but i would expect to last bit longer get close to 2 brood cycles. Just read Read Randy's updated version hes talking 1 month but little later he has some in for two months winter spring (as in now). He also saying mite reduction is not immediate, it "appears" to take one month.

As Randy and all of us are still perfecting this there is going to be big variances, example i saw immediate killing and on going, still to early to tell final results, Also I'm trying about three different cloths. only time will tell.

agree but i would expect to last bit longer get close to 2 brood cycles. Just read Read Randy's updated version hes talking 1 month but little later he has some in for two months winter spring (as in now). He also saying mite reduction is not immediate, it "appears" to take one month.

As Randy and all of us are still perfecting this there is going to be big variances, example i saw immediate killing and on going, still to early to tell final results, Also I'm trying about three different cloths. only time will tell.

Ok. I have just made my first pads today with SCA shop towels. It took a bit to work out the correct mixing rates. I need to make another 40 tomorrow and then I will put them in next week.

Any idea how long the pads last after manufacture to putting in the hive.

I have mine in a plastic bucket at present.

Ok. I have just made my first pads today with SCA shop towels. It took a bit to work out the correct mixing rates. I need to make another 40 tomorrow and then I will put them in next week.

Any idea how long the pads last after manufacture to putting in the hive.

I have mine in a plastic bucket at present.

Hi Trevor, I'm wondering the same, Randy does say he is testing storing towels but suggests make them fresh at the moment

I made more up today and put the balance of the liquid in a bottle and it solidified pretty quickly, so storing it should be easy, my view is I will make up the towels as I need them , but I kept some for a week and they seem to have been just as effective

Did you half the SCA towels or use one for each, 1 full takes about 70% of the the top of a box so I wouldn't want it to be a barrier between the upper and lower boxes, I have put a full size one in today so will see what they do with it.

With my nucs I made up strips about 5 cm wide and hung them over the bars and they have then started chewing the paper from the bottom and are happy to work underneath them vs when I laid them on top they didn't touch them.

One would assume that winter hives would be less agressive in pulling the towel out compared to a strong summer hive?

Did you half the SCA towels or use one for each, 1 full takes about 70% of the the top of a box so I wouldn't want it to be a barrier between the upper and lower boxes, I have put a full size one in today so will see what they do with it.

I have not put them in yet. I plan on folding them in half and laying them on top. Randy O suggest it is better than hanging over the frames as they remove those too quick.

I think they store well but not sure on SCA towels, they are quite papery. Currently trying a bamboo biodegradable cloth. We have now over 240 hives treated with Oa/gly, slot of our sites haven't hit a average mite count of two yet, but as to the ease of making this and putting in plus price we are just doing it anyway. We make up on day it doesn't take long, we keep ours in a plastic bucket with lid and they keep fine if we have any left.

• Like 1

I think they store well but not sure on SCA towels, they are quite papery. Currently trying a bamboo biodegradable cloth. We have now over 240 hives treated with Oa/gly, slot of our sites haven't hit a average mite count of two yet, but as to the ease of making this and putting in plus price we are just doing it anyway. We make up on day it doesn't take long, we keep ours in a plastic bucket with lid and they keep fine if we have any left.

Hi Tony, what paper is it, the SCA is thin and can tear, but so far it's working (and cheap) but it's early days so great see other options

I think the problem i find is we chuck the whole lot in the mixture in one go then squeeze out the excess and put in bucket we found separating them out bit difficult and slow and some mash together a bit, but honestly we have not given them a fair go, we have just found some other cloths easier to use. Whether they are better or worse in the hive i have no idea yet.