Oxalic and glycerine

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I have advertisements for sewing machines and sewing related equipment flicking up all over my interweb. There are two possible explanations that come to mind.

1. Pure coincidence, 2. Google read my stuff.

🙄

remember a year or so ago when someone complained that they kept seeing advertisements for russian dating etc on this site? similar thing i guess

• Haha 3

Uh Huh ..... I didn't trade the Missus in on a Russian. The Russians English wasn't great.

But , seriously, if the emergency services can track where you are via your cell phone , then no doubt others can listen in as you talk to your Russian mistress.

But we know that ... right ?

It can be done. Plenty of instances of celebrities phones being hacked.

Long time ago i was on one of those party lines they used to have in remote locations. I think listening in to the conversations of others was a bit of a local sport. Every now and then you would hear someone breathing. 🙄

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 2

I'm gonna send you a photo of my old sewing machine Alistair.   I really could use a new one to fix up all the holy  overalls.

I wonder what would be a good brand of sewing machine ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I'm gonna send you a photo of my old sewing machine Alistair.   I really could use a new one to fix up all the holy  overalls.

The one i got James, a Singer 4411. Now i'm inspired, I'm going to have a crack at fixing bee suits, hemming jeans, that kind of stuff. I think the machine will bang these jobs off in less time than it takes to drive over to my sewing lady.

12 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I'm gonna send you a photo of my old sewing machine Alistair. 

Stick it up here. The whole world probably wants to know what kind of sewing machine James would have. 👍

Edited by Alastair
Just now, Alastair said:

The one i got James, a Singer 4411. Now i'm inspired, I'm going to have a crack at fixing bee suits, hemming jeans, that kind of stuff. I think the machine will bang these jobs off in less time than it takes to drive over to my sewing lady.

At sewing supplies shops - like Spotlight, can buy an iron on film to 'glue' patch in place before sewing - makes it far easier, and if you make patch big enough, can reinforce thin area to save next patch. For years, most sailing trou had patches in place when you bought them to save the grief of patching.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
3 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Stick it up here. The whole world probably wants to know what kind of sewing machine James would have. 👍

James'll probably have to wait for it to finish the dishes

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Aahhh ... the Singer 4411 .  I'll go out to the shed and check what my old one is. it's definitely a Singer.... at least thirty years old and definitely in need of replacement. Apparently the good ones are made in Russia.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

At sewing supplies shops - like Spotlight, can buy an iron on film to 'glue' patch in place before sewing - makes it far easier, and if you make patch big enough, can reinforce thin area to save next patch. For years, most sailing trou had patches in place when you bought them to save the grief of patching.

Yes. I'll stock a few of those patches and i think I'm good to deal with most of the repairs that used to cost me good latte drinking money. 😄

Spotlight may wonder why they are suddenly inundated with rough looking men, shabbily dressed and smelling strongly of smoke, honey, and indeterminate smells, asking questions about sewing machiones, and buying supplies. 😁

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Yes. I'll stock a few of those patches and i think I'm good to deal with most of the repairs that used to cost me good latte drinking money. 😄

You can buy the film by the square metre, and cannibalise an unrepairable suit for the patches - used to be called vilene, not sure of current name.

• Good Info 1
1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

- used to be called vilene, not sure of current name.

Velisofix- or stitch witchery

Vylene has the iron on adhesive on one side only- was used for stiffening and reinforcing.

Velisofix is effectively iron on glue. Place a layer between the two fabrics to be glued together and press with an iron. If you are repairing a hole- remember to have something on the other side so you don't stick it to the ironing board. Take care to not have any velisofix exposed- it makes a mess of the iron. Many people use baking paper as insurance against messing up the iron.

You go guys!

Its long past time you patched your own trou. Anyone want hints on darning socks too?

Slightly off topic....perhaps this should be split off Trev?

Edited by Mummzie
split
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 2

Iron patches are the bomb! Too hot to wear new suit. I’ve broken my rule of no patches on patches this year ‘cos of iron on patches. Check out spotlight or the $2 shop. 

I love darning socks in the winter. Darning is an art form!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Alastair said:

I have advertisements for sewing machines and sewing related equipment flicking up all over my interweb. There are two possible explanations that come to mind.

1. Pure coincidence, 2. Google read my stuff.

🙄

In christchurch last week we searched for  address of vegan resturant for my sister.

A day later a friend told me the name of an organic slightly hippie place for coffee.

I had only put in two letters of the long slightly strange name of the place before it came up .

Google had profiled me very quick .

4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Wife and I were discussing watching a Lord of rings movie. Within a few hours, LOR advertising. Scary. We only spoke about it. Later on we purposely talked about Harry Potter. Nothing. Definitely listening and robots computing. 

Do you have google home

Our son gave us one .

Its a spybot . It is disabled

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

It can be done. Plenty of instances of celebrities phones being hacked.

Long time ago i was on one of those party lines they used to have in remote locations. I think listening in to the conversations of others was a bit of a local sport. Every now and then you would hear someone breathing. 🙄

We lived on a party line .

And an exchange that put calls through.

Lois at the exchange knew everything about everybody .

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Old Singer straight sewer industrial .

Can get them pretty  cheap .

• Like 2

After 30 days of OA/GL staples in a Kenyan topbar I've pulled them out. The hive has lost most of its bees and nearly no brood left. The 2019 spring queen is still there. Was my mix too strong? Perhaps. Haven't done a mite count as there's not really any nurse bees left, only a few capped brood near the top of three frames, perhaps 50 to 100 capped cells in all the hive. Note it wasn't in a great shape beforehand but it's definitely sad now.

Also, my other hives with the same or similar batch of staples seem to be  doing great.

Edited by StephenP
  • Like 1

A possibility is that the hive was badly infested and beyond saving before the treatment went in?

Did you get the staples pre-mixed or did you mix it yourself?

Do you have another Kenyan TBH with good brood? Since the queen is still alive in the problem hive, adding some brood and bees may save it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alastair said:

A possibility is that the hive was badly infested and beyond saving before the treatment went in?

Did you get the staples pre-mixed or did you mix it yourself?

Do you have another Kenyan TBH with good brood?

Before treatment the hive had a count of 16 mites.

I mixed them myself.

As for another hive, I did have a topbar nuc, that was from a spring emergency split, which was feeding this hive with new comb and brood. Don't have this anymore. Sold it, and was transferred to a Langstroth, a month back.

The spring split was very strong, with an older queen. The nee queen in the full Kenyan had patched laying patterns and never seemed to get going.

I still might have an option to get good brood from the person I sold the hives to as they have a full Kenyan. Will make enquiries.

• Like 1

With the home mixes, I have seen videos of people mixing their own brews up. I use 35% OA by weight. So I actually weigh 35g of OA and 65g Glycerine. I have yet to lose a hive.

I watched a video where the the mix was 40% by volume. The beek mixing it used 2 cups of OA powder and 3 cups to Glycerine. To me that would only be 10-15%, if that.

I wonder if it was effective, as much as higher doses or at all.

• Like 1