Oxalic and glycerine

17 hours ago, Alastair said:

To be honest Stoney I am still a little bamboozled.

However what Phil himself has said a number of times is that only stitching is covered, because he "invented" it.

He did not invent cardboard, that has been in use for oxalic strips for years.

Pretty sure you don’t have to invent something to patent it. You simply have to be the first to patent it...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Alastair said:

After some thought i have decided to throw caution to the wind and reveal my sewing machine. 😎

It is a Singer Heavy Duty 4411. Not expensive because it has no frills, but has heavy duty motor and workings designed for leatherwork and similar. With it I can bang through not quite 600 staples an hour. For a cheapy it's a BEAST. 😁

Made this video, enjoy. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgCp-eIXroM

Got a 4411 last year, as I killed the old sewing machine, it has performed very well without any problems on Gib tape, it's next job is to sew up an old Macpac back pack.

Only problem is threading the needle, the old machine did it for me, the 4411 doesn't. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Good to know it has performed well for you Russ.

Of course a version which will thread it's own needle is available, the 4423. But you have to pay some extra bucks.

In my view the 4411 is ridiculously cheap, so with me being a cheapskate, we have a match. 😉

Oh and of course, great to see so many men in touch with their feminine sides and discussing the merits of their sewing machines. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wow, you have yourself one of the Rolls Royces of sewing machines there Nikki!

I didn't understand this talk of dust. I've put a decent amount of cardboard through and don't see any dust. 

What happens if you get dust?

Maybe it depends what kind of cardboard?

22 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I didn't understand this talk of dust. I've put a decent amount of cardboard through and don't see any dust. 

Not card but tape maybe?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Having sewn all sorts on a domestic machine - including sails, main thing is to frequently change needles as they get blunt and munted, and use heavier gauge for  heavier fabric/card etc. Dust usually packs around the bobin holder and affects the running of the machine, so need to clear out quite often and oil or spray with silicone spray to lubricate.

• Good Info 2
2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Of course a version which will thread it's own needle is available, the 4423. But you have to pay some extra bucks.

In my view the 4411 is ridiculously cheap, so with me being a cheapskate, we have a match. 😉

Oh and of course, great to see so many men in touch with their feminine sides and discussing the merits of their sewing machines. 🤣

Hah that reminds me of the time I was with another bk and he turned to me and said: "did you ever think you'd be talking to another grown man for hours about flowers" and we had a bit of a laugh and continued the discussion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Yep. She's a good old girl. Totally reliable but also really fragile if anything gets out of place. Even sewing fabric theres lots of fibres which collect under the bobbin. Paper can be very abbrasive on delicate parts, I wouldn't use my scissors to cut cardboard either. 

• Agree 3
  • Good Info 1
22 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Do you use a sewing machine or other stitching? 

No stitching, not sure why it's done. At 9.5 cts per strip not to worry too much. I dry them really well, by laying them out between "folded out" cardboard boxes, which takes all the excess off. After that they still weigh 50 to 53 grams, which about 11 grams of OA. I apply 3 per brood box, as my queens get only 8 FD frames plus feeder. The card board strips are called: GB Boxboard

Edited by Gerrit
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 2
3 hours ago, Alastair said:

Have just come inside from changing the suspension on my sons Corolla, he was meant to be helping, but he found something else to do with his friends and left me to it.

Upon reading your post, Alistair, I had to laugh, I was expressing my male side undoing nuts and bolts and swearing at the bolts that wouldn't budge, whilst working in the dark.

At least with sewing you don't get black greasy hands.  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Gerrit said:

No stitching, not sure why it's done. At 9.5 cts per strip not to worry too much. I dry them really well, by laying them out between "folded out" cardboard boxes, which takes all the excess off. After that they still weigh 50 to 53 grams, which about 11 grams of OA. I apply 3 per brood box, as my queens get only 8 FD frames plus feeder. The card board strips are called: GB Boxboard

Hey thanks for taking the time to track down that info Gerrit, that is gold.

I'll see how necessary the stitching is that I'm doing, if it does turn out to be not needed, well so much the better. 🙂

I'll get some of that cardboard and give it a try. 👍

3 hours ago, nikki watts said:

My machine is a juki walking foot, set up for canvas and leather. I made a roll or two of staples to start with but I agree with @kaihoka I'm not going to risk it getting jammed up with paper dust.

I get my hubbies compressor and blow out my machines every so often .

• Like 1
11 hours ago, yesbut said:

and a heavy-ish guillotine...

I think the french may have got it right and that bringing back the guillotine would help some people to focus on only legal activity.

But then again, imagine if the gangs get hold of one.

Cutting up card would be so easy.

22 minutes ago, crofter said:

Does anyone know if the Argentinian product has stitching? Just thinking perhaps the heavier card stock would not benefit as much as the multiply paper ones.

Don't believe so no and don't see it as necessary.

Can't say I've exhaustively read this whole thread but I'm pretty sure the stitching came about once Gib papertape was decided on as a medium for holding the oxalic/glycerine mix. As multiple layers were required the layers needed to be held together...

Edited by Otto
  • Good Info 1

So. Soon as i get a sewing machine, you guys ruin all my fun. 😄

I have read up on the South American OA strips and never seen mention of sewing, although it could be they just didn't mention it. However here is a picture of them in use, and best can be seen from the pic, there is no sewing.

I have never understood why the way it is done in NZ has been so complex, sewing multiple layers together instead of using one thick one, etc.

I can see the point of one bead of thread to prevent collapse, but beyond that, all this multiple beads, overlocking, and whatever, is a load of hoopla.

And of course, the patent on all this sewing aint worth spit, cos it can all be done simpler, and cheaper. 😏

staples argentine.JPG

Should add to that. Using cardboard for this purpose has been done overseas for years. Recent posts on this thread have shown that already a good number of Kiwi beekeepers have been using cardboard for some time.

It would be very mean spirited indeed if anyone got ideas about patenting it when they did not invent it, just so they can enrich themselves at the cost to everybody else in our community.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

Yes please. 🙂

Somebody actually wants to buy bees? Give that poor fool my number. 😄

Seriously though, yes, I am ready to give a very good deal. Please give them my details and i will fix them up.

Appreciate it Craig. 👍