Oxalic and glycerine

2 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

but recently, the pool of those posting seems to have really narrowed far more quickly than previously, and it would be great to see many of them reappear, as the greater the pool of contributors, the better off we all are.

Exactly. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, I don't have time to follow every chat group, but I got a notification about this one.  I'm interested in your experiences with OA/gly in NZ, so please feel free to contact me directly at

You are obviously still young . I try and leave the bathroom before the steam has cleared .

This is an issue that comes up often There tends to be two ways that Beeks place Staples and one way results in less Brood damage. Some Beeks remove an edge frame, spread the remaining frames o

Posted Images

There has been quite a bit of good info posted by several posters even in the day or so since Phil left us, it's actually been better. The pool of knowledge is increasing, and this will continue.

Developing staples was a collaborative effort from many before Phil put his patent on it, and it will continue to be a collaborative effort.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 2
7 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

I hope that there will be more people posting, as it is already obvious that many have been quietly trying variations who had not until now been prepared to face the consequences of posting something that didn't follow the current dogma. Over time, there are those who stop posting for various reasons, but recently, the pool of those posting seems to have really narrowed far more quickly than previously, and it would be great to see many of them reappear, as the greater the pool of contributors, the better off we all are.

Sailabee - I couldn't agree more.  The aggressiveness/snarkiness just hasn't been on this topic alone.  I have also noticed multiple comments on various topics how people refer to themselves briefly putting their head above the parapet, and other comments regarding overt nastiness.  I do think the pool of posters has narrowed somewhat.  

Although, one of the reasons for the current pool narrowing could be the time of the beekeeping season.  Some are working long hours and are completely shattered.   

• Like 1

In my view the next big move is in getting the dose right, and in finding out why hives can be damaged, and how to avoid that. That, is a complex problem / question.

I'm feeling very good about my latest OA application method, and itching to get it into some hives, although that will be a week away. 🙂

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 2
4 minutes ago, Alastair said:

In my view the next big move is in getting the dose right, and in finding out why hives can be damaged, and how to avoid that. That, is a complex problem / question.

I'm feeling very good about my latest OA application method, and itching to get it into some hives, although that will be a week away. 🙂

Yes, I agree,  That is what I meant with how to use them.

Strength, 

Quantity per box,

Timing.

Etc

• Agree 1

He would be in a much better position today if he had just come out with that in the first place. I just don't get why it all had to be so difficult.

Anyhow perhaps now he'll have time to try to make some honey.

Hope he does not proceed with his ridiculous threats against Grant.

He did occasionally add something constructive. It was the rest of the time was the problem. Even the info he gave in the last few pages about his patent was deliberately incorrect and just designed to sow confusion. For why?

Anyhow why are we still discussing it. Let's move on.

56 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Had a good chat with Phil today to get the good oil from the horses mouth.

Hobbyists, fill your boots go do with the staples what ever you want.

Phil has a patent for the type of staple with the edge protection type stitching he worked on, both wide and narrow, for commercial use.

So yes potentially a 4-500 hive operation beek trying to copy his type is in breach, would he go after you ?, big boy type beeks 1000+ most probably.

Most midsize beek outfits it would be easier and cheaper (if you tooh your time and buying all the stuff you need to make them)to just buy them off Phil or now you can buy them off (forgot their name )South Island beekeeping supply outfit. 

Commercials of any size can go make and use single stitch type staples all they want, they not part of the patent.

What you fill them with up to you, as that is your call for your business and you are responsible for any outcome.

Trev is right, Phil has spent a lot of money on perfecting his type of staple, with a lot more to come and he does has patents for them in other parts of the world.

Good on him, he saw an opening and has gone for it and I wish him all the best.

Remember Gibtape, ox acid, or gly are not Phils, or even the overlock stitch, but how the tape and stitching is put together in a certain way is.

Are you using them?

54 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Good on him, he saw an opening and has gone for it and I wish him all the best.

Ditto

41 minutes ago, Alastair said:

He would be in a much better position today if he had just come out with that in the first place. I just don't get why it all had to be so difficult.

From that post of Dennis' , to me it looks like he is sitting in a very good position.

It is dreadful there seemed to be threats of legal action flying about, and not just on this topic, I might add.  Unfortunately once people start posting about legalities, some start switching off.  It is very unfortunate all the drama that eschewed, and hopefully a way forward can be worked through.  I would like to think I can see it from both Grant's and Phil's point of view, and of course I have no idea what has gone on that hasn't been posted here.  It's a tough old world out there.  

24 minutes ago, Alastair said:

He did occasionally add something constructive. It was the rest of the time was the problem. 

He’s added plenty of constructive over the course of this thread, there was an obvious downturn that took place that has resulted in the current situation .. 

• Confused 1
13 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

It is dreadful there seemed to be threats of legal action flying about,

Yeah. Ridiculous. 

16 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

It is very unfortunate all the drama that eschewed

Yup.

I show a pic of a sewing machine I want to buy, and all hell breaks loose.

I guess i feel it a bit more than some, because for quite a while I have been his usual target.

I am not one of the 1000+ hive owners he claims he would put lawyers on, but he sure made it clear what he might do if i bought that sewing machine.

I don't use edge stitch in the staples I have made, and have no intention to in the future either.

• Like 1

OK well Phil has got the chop and in the middle of the skirmish I, perhaps unwisely, ordered a whole container of popcorn in from China via Alibaba.  I don't have a whole lot of use for it now, the entertainment has stopped and I'm left holding the baby (as such). So yeah anyone wanting popcorn at cost price, give me a yell, details on the profile.  Ta . (Will throw in some non edge protected staples).

Edited by CraBee
  • Haha 6
15 minutes ago, CraBee said:

OK well Phil has got the chop and in the middle of the skirmish I, perhaps unwisely, ordered a whole container of popcorn in from China via Alibaba.  I don't have a whole lot of use for it now, the entertainment has stopped and I'm left holding the baby (as such). So yeah anyone wanting popcorn at cost price, give me a yell, details on the profile.  Ta . (Will throw in some non edge protected staples).

This would have to be the most hilarious comment I have seen this week.  Had a real dilemma what emoji to use.  

You could dip the gluten free popcorn in kanuka honey, and of course it is dairy, meat & C4 sugar free.  My guess is that potentially you are looking a massive market in the eye. Definitely worth a patent.  When does the shipment arrive?  I guess shipment date is commercially sensitive!

Brace yerself Grant - there's another patent issue looming.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Haha 4
Just now, Maggie James said:

You could dip the gluten free popcorn in kanuka honey,

You couldn't dip it in mine, it all went really solid within a week. Spoon bending stuff. I'm positive it's kanuka,  it was very thixo.

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

You couldn't dip it in mine, it all went really solid within a week. Spoon bending stuff. I'm positive it's kanuka,  it was very thixo.

Shipment would have to be scheduled to align with kanuka flow.  Or stick the kanuka in a hot room.  

14 minutes ago, Grant said:

Infact it was only last month that I was fighting his corner with regards to a complaint he had against a new member.

Oh yeah. He complained the new member had a fake alias. Conveniently forgetting that he himself has had 3 fake aliases.

Fox turned gamekeeper.

Forgive my skeptisism.

But hey. Can we move along.

Edited by Alastair