ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

I'd only have to block one person and that would remove all negativeness.

You cannot block them from posting on a thread but you can  ignore them and you will not see their comments anywhere within the forum.  I will leave it up to you to figure out how.

Thanks. If i can't block the person completely it would eat me up wondering what crap is being said behind my back, i won't bother.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Over the last month, if there was an emoji to use pulling their hair out, I would have clicked on it a number of times!  

Or maybe there could be a emoji peace sign which alludes to Make Love Not War!

Heaven help us if men had to endure PMT and menopause.

I did have a look through the list to see if there was a dramatic eye roll but unfortunately no 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pinnacle said:

I did have a look through the list to see if there was a dramatic eye roll but unfortunately no 

That would be eye catching!  Or perhaps just a one eyed emoji!

• Haha 1

It has felt a bit like this:

🤪😖😖⚔️💩💩💩😣

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

We have an auto Moderate feature. We could turn that on, where a post with say 5 seperate reports gets auto removed. People would need to actually use it though.

And yes there is the ignore bit where you can't see another person's posts. 

Screenshot_20200215_150253.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

To get back to business, I have now bought a different sewing machine.

This time, I'm not telling what it is. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

Thanks.

To get back to business, I have now bought a different sewing machine.

This time, I'm not telling what it is. 😄

Let me guess now, I'd say a single stitch straight sewer !

• Agree 1

LOL Yesbut, don't need any lawyers all over me, my lips are sealed ha ha. 

Let's just say, what a man don't know about, not gonna hurt him. 😁

Edited by Alastair

I don't know how to use a sewing machine, so I bought a guillotine instead ! 

• Like 3

Chopping up cardboard?

I see you can buy staples from Beequip in Wellington.

Did wonder but only one person could answer that. The price is way up there, not sure if that says anything.

The ones I'm currently making are costing me around 10 cents, that's before i soak them in OA.

I have bucket loads of second hand ones that would circumvent the patenting issues ....😚

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Chopping up cardboard?

yes, just cut the last of my board, cost of the board worked out at 0.036 cents per strip but then there is the time spent processing , to add to that.

Oh that's very cheap Olbe. 

Me, I didn't want to do any work so outsourced the chopping and the sewing. I haven't seen just how they chop them but they do a good job and it's cheap. The sewing lady though is a bit hungry, hence I've purchased my own machine. My preference though would be to outsource the whole process it's not the kind of work i enjoy doing.

The OA mixing and soaking I'm doing myself, i don't much enjoy that either but i want proper quality control, which is needed when figuring out what happened if things went wrong in the hives. I really do want to get to the bottom of that.

Edited by Alastair

Why not check out your thread @Alastair and check out what @Otto is using to sew the staples? And when I say ‘sew’ . . . .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Alastair, I was looking to an old Kansai like that on Marketplace last year. It was very cheap but not 100% functional. I did not want to waste time and money to fix it so I got a small Singer from Spotlight. I saw a video on youtube about a Kansai with 5 needles and this was the only reason why I was interested to buy one. I did not know about the elastic thingy(thanks @Philbee for that info).

My first staples were made with zig-zag seams. It is using up a lot of tread(too many bobbins to refill). My last staples have straight seams made with a twin needle. And yes, for both type of seams I have to run the rolls twice(near one edge then the other too, so with my last design I'll have four straight seams total).

Just as I predicted a couple of years ago(or a bit more) the new manuka standards will and they already did create a war.

You no longer can can make a "normal" income from your average honey? Move your hives over someone else's if there is a bit of manuka bush.

You no longer can can make a "normal" income from selling hive gear and bkping equipment? Copy and sale treatments based on OA or why not flumetrin, amitraz.

This is how I see things happening. And it is not a healthy competition on the market.

@JohnFthat is my plan for spring treatment too for four layered staples. However for autumn I'll go with sewed three layers.

Thanks Kiwi Bee, good info.

The Kansai would have been pretty fit for my purposes I am not wanting to make staples by the million. But the threat of lawyers i just cut and run.

Agree re the zig zag thread, it's just a waste of thread, for this application.

36 minutes ago, JohnF said:

Why not check out your thread @Alastair and check out what @Otto is using to sew the staples? And when I say ‘sew’ . . . .

Thanks John, as in he uses no sewing at all? Yes, Otto is a pretty smart guy, a great resource. He doesn't post much, but when he does, I listen. 

me, I'm not actually using jib tape, i see no need for all this messing with multiple layers. What I'm doing is totally experimental but all that is required is a means to deliver the correct dose of OA to the hive, for the needed amount of time. To that end at this time I'm using a one layer substrate so no sewing needed, but it is chewable which is also part of the plan, so a bead of thread is incorporated to ensure no bits will fall to the bottom prematurely and not be utilised. 

7 minutes ago, Alastair said:

me, I'm not actually using jib tape, i see no need for all this messing with multiple layers. What I'm doing is totally experimental but all that is required is a means to deliver the correct dose of OA to the hive, for the needed amount of time. To that end at this time I'm using a one layer substrate so no sewing needed, but it is chewable which is also part of the plan, so a bead of thread is incorporated to ensure no bits will fall to the bottom prematurely and not be utilised. 

Why not just use ova board?

As for stitching the thing to resist chewing, without seeming like a kill joy have you considered that this aspect is a significant part of the laminated Paper Tape IP.

Why not work on another method to resist chewing because using stitching has already been done.

The scope of the chewing protection claims in the IP include any cellulose device.
You may as well start off the facts, consider the info a genuine heads up.

Edited by Philbee

I have never experimented making OA strips, but I note the Beequip edges are overlocked to extend life.  Do you actually need an overlocker?  Could the strips be cut with pinking shear scissors then ordinary stitching used.

Pinking shears were what the majority of women in NZ had in their home, prior to overlockers on sewing machines for the home were incorporated in the machine.  This gave longevity to the garment, so it wouldn't fray.  Often you would cut the garment out with the pinking shears, and then do all the seams with straight sewing.  

There were other types of seams used, but these were quite time consuming and/or for heavy work gear.  

I have a pair of very old, high quality pinking shear scissors that haven't had much use.  

36 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Thanks John, as in he uses no sewing at all? Yes, Otto is a pretty smart guy, a great resource. He doesn't post much, but when he does, I listen. 

Could be a variety of reasons why someone doesn't post much.  But I have noted when "a pretty smart guy, a great resource" posts they sometimes disappointingly get shot down.  

• Agree 2

From memory and Im not going to check on a Sunday, the edge and intermediate protection against chewing of a cellulose device was so novel that the scope of the claims were able to go well beyond the use of stitch.