ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

On 23/01/2020 at 5:19 PM, mickey said:

I used cardboard with toothpicks the bees often chewed around them and they fall down. Trying to find thinner card that will bend over the tops.

Why use random cardboard?

Might be a better option to stick with what is being used by most others
You do not know if that random cardboard will form a reaction with the Solution.

drawing new comb in broodnest:

I've got autumn treatments going into hives that seem to have a found a clover flow and are in full-on drawing wax mode too.

So, I put two staples over one brood comb and put a fully drawn brood comb each side. Then outside of that I can put a bare bar so as to get new comb drawn. I can't get (foundationless) new comb drawn if it is beside a tape. Then I repeat and repeat (long tbh hive) right through the brood. This gives the same seam per leg ratio but also gives no staple legs beside a comb being drawn.

Looking down you see two staples spaced apart on one bar then a gap of three top bars before you see another pair of staples. So far, so good..

Edited by ChrisM
typos

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

You do not know if that random cardboard will form a reaction with the Solution.

Just trying to take the labour out of makeing my own strips, the cardboard does that. The result is ive got more bees than I need so i'm happy with that at this point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mickey said:

Just trying to take the labour out of makeing my own strips, the cardboard does that. The result is ive got more bees than I need so i'm happy with that at this point

My point is to make the point for others as well.
Dont make the assumption that all cellulose material the same.
Only one has been tested in the Lab in NZ as far as Im aware.
Its very expensive

Edited by Philbee

The cellulose material that I use has been tested in my "in situ" labs for the last four years , so far I'm very happy with it.

22 minutes ago, olbe said:

The cellulose material that I use has been tested in my "in situ" labs for the last four years , so far I'm very happy with it.

Ah but does your lab tell you what % OA is in the cellulose after soaking or what % is Formic Acid or what reactions if any have taken place between the cellulose and the solution.
At the end of the day these are very important details and the results would likely shock you.

On 25/01/2020 at 9:36 AM, Philbee said:

Philbee, can you confirm what cardboard is being used by others. From my searching the forum is it greyboard from Attwoods? If so what grade/weight etc.

Edited by StephenP

1 hour ago, StephenP said:

Philbee, can you confirm what cardboard is being used by others. From my searching the forum is it greyboard from Attwoods? If so what grade/weight etc.

Why would @Philbee know what others are using.  Phil makes his own strips with Gib Tape.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Traded the last of my beeswax for Apivar..... good trade,eh!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Traded the last of my beeswax for Apivar..... good trade,eh!

Depends on the ratio.  10 ton of beeswax for 1 pack of Apivar is not such a good trade.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Depends on the ratio.  10 ton of beeswax for 1 pack of Apivar is not such a good trade.

Uh huh.... but at least I am fairly confident of having live bees next spring!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Uh huh.... but at least I am fairly confident of having live bees next spring!

Apivar is a great product but my confidence in it as an autium treatment is a lot less that it used to be. Did you treat with anything over the summer months?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, StephenP said:

Others have used Ovaboard as well. Durable cardboard that builders lay over finished floors while working on inside of house.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

21 hours ago, Philbee said:

Ah but does your lab tell you what % OA is in the cellulose after soaking or what % is Formic Acid or what reactions if any have taken place between the cellulose and the solution.
At the end of the day these are very important details and the results would likely shock you.

Yes @Philbee - but how many years were you happily using the gib staples before learning the lab information? Or in fact needing it for registration? Let's not be too scaremongering here

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

There is no word in English for I thought the same, but didn't want to say.

• Like 1

And didn't some of those using ovaboard lose a lot of hives last winter, not saying thats what caused the losses, but just wondering

You'd be thinking of people using staples.

4 hours ago, JohnF said:

Yes @Philbee - but how many years were you happily using the gib staples before learning the lab information? Or in fact needing it for registration? Let's not be too scaremongering here

I thought the same - I still remember the dish cloths and oasis that were pushed in earlier days before the staple advertorials started, and the suggestion that I should be prepared to eat a strip treatment as some were prepared to eat the dish cloth being touted. I may have old-timers disease, but not to that degree - yet.

Edited by Sailabee
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sailabee said:

may have old-timers

Do you think everyone left on the forum now is an old timer . ?

Now there is no money in bees and all the young guys have moved on to other ways to make their fortune.

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you think everyone left on the forum now is an old timer . ?

Now there is no money in bees and all the young guys have moved on to other ways to make their fortune.

Maybe they don't need more info. Some only come online when there is a question to ask. Then Zippo. Regular like.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JohnF said:

Ive been away and have just opened this up.

From very early on there has been a concern that the various cardboards are mostly untracably whereas Kraft paper plasterboard tape has material data that is in depth.

It has now been proven that Kraft paper Tape does not react in any significant way with OA and or GL.
That is much more than be said for random cardboard.

14 hours ago, Sailabee said:

I thought the same - I still remember the dish cloths and oasis that were pushed in earlier days before the staple advertorials started, and the suggestion that I should be prepared to eat a strip treatment as some were prepared to eat the dish cloth being touted. I may have old-timers disease, but not to that degree - yet.

You should move on.

18 hours ago, olbe said:

And didn't some of those using ovaboard lose a lot of hives last winter, not saying thats what caused the losses, but just wondering

Perhaps an edit required?
You have absolutely no idea of the relative numbers involved
You may think you do but I can assure you that you do not.
If you did know the numbers then you might not make such ridiculous statements, and ridiculous they are

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

fortune

My fortune is happiness and I’m making it in spades keeping bees. (Not that I’m young...)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Alastair said:

You'd be thinking of people using staples.

No, Hes not thinking at all.

Got out the wrong side of the bed today Phil?

10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Got out the wrong side of the bed today Phil?

As it happens it wasn't a great night sleep in a hot tent after a hard days fishing, followed by another hard days fishing but overall Im in a good mood.

I should also point out that with regard Pams cloth and Oasis as mentioned by olbe, they were part of a journey.

Significant effort was put into tracing the material data for pams cloth and what was available wasn't really in depth even although it was considered reasobably safe.
The Oasis on the other hand had been used by many in the industry for a long time and it was me for one that did some basic digging to find out that it was not a product to be using in a hive.
Sooner or later the green particles would have or will turn up in honey IMO

So my message to olbe would be, look at your own contribution before you put the boot into me.

It may turn out that the US use 100 million of these a year 

Edited by Philbee