ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

I will look tomorrow as I have some queens arriving. There is evidence of the towels being removed.

Ive got a good feeling about these tampons.

Today Ive jammed them between the bottom bars of the second box just above the Brood.

Just tip the top box back and squeeze it in, easy.

The Paper tape in some hives is just starting to have it's edges chewed after 3-4 days.

So did you keep them whole, or unroll them?

If you go here: http://scientificbeekeeping.com/scibeeimages/2016-Beyond-Taktic-pdf.pdf this article outlines the method. Different people on this forum are trying different delivery mechanisms from the show towel that was used in the article. All of these methods are experimental and unproven as yet.

My wife purchased two types and I scratched round here at home and found some mini's.

The mini's I used today whole (intact) and they carry 35g of 50/50.

The other two types were Tampax regular and Oi organic Super.

Hands down the best of the lot are the Oi organic "super"

The Tampax are just rubbish and arnt worth mucking with.

The Oi hold up to 45g and maintain their shape well.

I doubt if the Oi can be unraveled as they are designed differently than the Tampax.

The Oi ones cost $5 for 14, 35 cents each at countdown.

Pak N slave may be less

Yes I have soaked some, but not in a hive yet my small concern which is only small is it soaks up a large amount for a small area I think this treatment relied on a larger surface area I could be wrong, the removal process may be enough contact. I put some in a close hive to keep eye on. I think I have to go back though some hives as I think I was bit light on the ones I treated with him paper, though those hives where quite hungry and have reduced in size so I may have fluked the right dose.

Yes I considered this as well

I would use more larger but thinner slices.

Having said that Im trying tampons which are small and concentrated.

maybe the shear volume of the solution in a Tampon will compensate for lack of surface area.

Multiple units could be used also.

A Wet?

Id be putting at least half a box plus syrup on that along with a whole NZ Herald soaked in OA/GL

2 seasons ago I did singles overwinter and they did really well up to September stimulating for growth last season i did all doubles and coupled with the bad weather in spring i fed more syrup per hive than I ever have had. So its packed in singles this winter.

2 seasons ago I did singles overwinter and they did really well up to September stimulating for growth last season i did all doubles and coupled with the bad weather in spring i fed more syrup per hive than I ever have had. So its packed in singles this winter.

I noticed a Taupo Beek has packed his hives down into singles in the last few days.

My thoughts went back to last winter when the bees kept flying and there was no way a single could hold enough stores.

Maybe this winter will be different, but maybe not.

Im playing it safe with mostly well stocked doubles.

My best hives this spring were 3 boxes full on 9th sept.

These wintered as doubles

I got a few hives now at week four it appears that this is the stage they really start pulling the cloth out, i found one hive today had absolutely none left on the frames to the point i thought it missed the treatment wasn't till we went to the floor board and noticed torn up cloth trying to be dragged out the door, it wasn't a particularly strong hive either. we put another one in, I've got a feeling i will be doing a second round with this or i may follow straight up with a DIY tymol. or both.

hello,

just wondering from what people have found so far, is there any cloth/towel that works the best and doesn't get eaten down by the bees ??

thanks

hello,

just wondering from what people have found so far, is there any cloth/towel that works the best and doesn't get eaten down by the bees ?? thanks

The specified towels (Scott Original Shop Towel) are available here via the net, at a price that is acceptable for hobbyists.

Well, very scary results today.

Count was 360 so no drama.

Then I did a sugar shake test. 250 bees first shake was 63 varroa, 2 nd shake with the same bees was 12 so total of 75 varroa.

I then washed the bees with meths so that I could count any extra varroa. 3 more. So 78 varroa off 250 bees, not good.

Now, where too from here.

I am going to treat with MAQS tomorrow and then check with sugar shake again later.

Then I did a sugar shake test. 250 bees first shake was 63 varroa, 2 nd shake with the same bees was 12 so total of 75 varroa.

I then washed the bees with meths so that I could count any extra varroa. 3 more. So 78 varroa off 250 bees, not good.

I am going to treat with MAQS tomorrow and then check with sugar shake again later.

How many frames of brood?

Wow! that's unexpected. So do regard the treatment as working then? Because the mite drop says so, but that is a big sugar shake count, so perhaps it is just taking the oxalic time to work through the mites (what are you at now for treatment, 3 weeks?), or the counts were massively high to begin with, or the oxalic has not quite had the desired knock-down punch - although I don't think that is expected. Questions, questions.

Optician, to check your prescription ?

How many frames of brood?

12 plus frames. Still an awful lot of brood.

Wow! that's unexpected. So do regard the treatment as working then? Because the mite drop says so, but that is a big sugar shake count, so perhaps it is just taking the oxalic time to work through the mites (what are you at now for treatment, 3 weeks?), or the counts were massively high to begin with, or the oxalic has not quite had the desired knock-down punch - although I don't think that is expected. Questions, questions.

Yes I think it is working, just not fast enough at this time of the year. I need something with a bigger punch. Tomorrow I start going around my hives to put in MAQS.

I think OA plus Gly will be my pre honey flow treatment.

Very interesting Trev.

You have a lot of brood that is producing mites faster than you can knock them down.

The risk is that the new Brood is being infected behind your treatment.

FA may be whats needed in tandem with the OA

I treat with both at the same time

It seems the logical thing to do.

As a foot note,

Could it be that the treatment is not reaching all the necessary places in the hive.

Possibly the treatment method has physical limitations

As a foot note,

Could it be that the treatment is not reaching all the necessary places in the hive.

Possibly the treatment method has physical limitations

I don't know. That is the problem with experimenting

I don't know. That is the problem with experimenting

Fun isnt it

Fun isnt it

Yes. and so jolly frustrating. Oh well, we can always return to plan A then start again.

Its great that we are all trying different application methods.

One issue I have with the shop towel/ GL system is that bees seem to like GL and a shop towel is very thin.

My concern is that the bees can easily slurp up the GL from the towel in a relatively short time leaving just the OA crystals.

This is why Im trying the opposite as well as paper tape which is similar to shop towel.

The tampon has a huge volume of solution in a relatively small container.

My hope is that the bees will make a determined effort to shift the cotton tampon and in doing so get a large external dose of solution.

The bees obviously work very hard to remove small plastic bags so should do the same to the tampon.

Ive got about 20 out in the field now

I am surprised with the numbers of dead mites you have been getting. Then to have the numbers drop of you would think OK it working the hive must be humming with the critters. What if you give it a hit with the vaporiser and do another count

My concern is that the bees can easily slurp up the GL from the towel in a relatively short time leaving just the OA crystals.

I didn't think the OA was supposed to come out of solution in the glycerine ?

It looks like from your results @Trevor Gillbanks , that you are having no problem killing mites on bees for a sustained period, but there is still an issue delivering the oxalic into brood cells .

I really had expected your mite drop to substantially taper off after one varroa brood cycle .

Clearly not

Thanks for your detailed reporting

I didn't think the OA was supposed to come out of solution in the glycerine ?

I dont no for sure that it does.

Its just that Ive seen paper tape go dry and yet still have a bite when I put it to the tip of my tounge

It looks like from your results @Trevor Gillbanks , that you are having no problem killing mites on bees for a sustained period, but there is still an issue delivering the oxalic into brood cells .

I really had expected your mite drop to substantially taper off after one varroa brood cycle .

Clearly not

Thanks for your detailed reporting

This is why I like a much wetter approach.

I remember once soaking canola/thymol in small squares of lamb skin with short fleece.

I put 2 of these in a hive and what a mess.

It killed the hive and every single bee (50000) was covered in oil.

• Like 1