ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

coro#rapa disease? maybe thats what Dennis was suffering from a couple of days ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I googled it and could not find much useful .

Am I right in thinking no one understands what coroapa is ?

Lots of beekeepers know what it is. Probably a lot of hive deaths due to this go undiagnosed as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, dansar said:

Lots of beekeepers know what it is. Probably a lot of hive deaths due to this go undiagnosed as well.

So what exactly is it ?

24 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

So what exactly is it ?

@JohnF has some info here 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, M4tt said:

Cororapa.

Did you ever get test results back from MPI @jamesc

10 hours ago, M4tt said:

Cororapa.

No .... no replies to repeated emails

I guess they are busy.

10 hours ago, M4tt said:

Cororapa.

Would johnf like to run some samples through sn independant lab....

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

I guess they are busy.

Drop me an email @jamesc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

I guess they are busy.

Thats pretty stink of MPI.

I hope you will share your results @jamesc

We had such good results with the staples in Spring then a disaster over winter.

I think the fact staples were in the hives at the time was a coincidence, there are too many other beekeepers having amazing results for the bad shape of the hives to be blamed on staples.

Reckon there’s something else going on out there .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

The Nosemas will be part of the problem

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We had such good results with the staples in Spring then a disaster over winter.

I think the fact staples were in the hives at the time was a coincidence, there are too many other beekeepers having amazing results for the bad shape of the hives to be blamed on staples.

I should probably qualify that.

I had a phone conversation informing me that no exotic problems had been discovered

But that really does’nt get one anywhere.

I was curious to see the results on paper... but those are very slow in coming forth.

8 hours ago, JohnF said:

Drop me an email @jamesc

😘

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Not everyone. I also found the way I used them a problem. Maybe others also struggled with the Staples. 

Did you soak your own? 

They work, just need to sort out a strategy. Find the part strips a bit tedious pulling out and gathering.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I should probably qualify that.

I had a phone conversation informing me that no exotic problems had been discovered

But that really does’nt get one anywhere.

I was curious to see the results on paper... but those are very slow in coming forth.

😘

I sent you an email today with a pointer to  someone at MPI.

I spoke with Dr Richard Hall (head of the pathogen program) when he was at our SNI field day last month.

He has been trying to find out about the tests as he was informed of the problem via this forum.

@jamesc you should have his contact details (or his assistant)  Hayley.

Please contact them and let them assist you with this matter.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 3

Yes .... I got that tonight  . Thanks Trev.

With the science available, not to mention $7.5 billion to spend on a usefull cause .... it would be good to get some answers.

I'll keep you posted .

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Thanks @jamesc I got your email.

:181_bikini: .... oops, wrong one  ......:91_thumbsup: ..... too many Hemp smoothies I guess.

• Haha 2

@Philbee plenty of people posting in public fora about buying the strips pre-soaked from you phil. Dunno whether that matters, note mpi monitor this thread etc

14 hours ago, jamesc said:

I guess they are busy.

there is an mpi staff member name in the most recent beekeeper magazine thing, some meeting he attended with apinz people. Email him directly cc the relevant minister and opposition spokesperson, suggest that it's an oia request regarding how many such reports they have ignored

3 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

@Philbee plenty of people posting in public fora about buying the strips pre-soaked from you phil. Dunno whether that matters, note mpi monitor this thread etc

Who would they be?

3 hours ago, jamesc said:
11 hours ago, JohnF said:

Drop me an email @jamesc

😘

I can't interpret that emoji - my eyes are fading.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I noticed that the bees are not chewing up the strips so much .

Could it be that they are preoccupied with collecting nectar and growing hive numbers .

The metal mesh I screwed onto the hive Doc bases to stop leakage  has changed colour where the remnants of chewed strips has piled up .

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I noticed that the bees are not chewing up the strips so much .

Could it be that they are preoccupied with collecting nectar and growing hive numbers .

The metal mesh I screwed onto the hive Doc bases to stop leakage  has changed colour where the remnants of chewed strips has piled up .

The chewing will come but it is a numbers game
Id say 20% of Hives chew aggressively and that 20% will cause a lot of problems if left un managed.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Who would they be?

for example - not my job to deal with illegally selling soaked strips as a complete treatment though - figure nobody would be that stupid given the potential consequences.

i can post others if you want.

edit: i probably tend towards prosecution being the appropriate response if someone was breaking the law in this manner.

Regardless, people illegally selling treatments as treatments should be careful who they sell to - shouldn't trust people like those in the screenshot below. And others, including some with scale

staples.PNG

obviously left the details of the linked page out of the screenshot - probably fairly easy to guess what it is though

want more?

safe to assume all purchasers lack cells

Edited by tommy dave

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

The chewing will come but it is a numbers game
Id say 20% of Hives chew aggressively and that 20% will cause a lot of problems if left un managed.

A couple of hives were really chewing a month ago when they were smaller .

The strips were fresher then .

Could it be that they are keener to get rid of them when it it obvious to the bees there is sometime unpleasent in the hives and  just gib tape is not such an issue to them .

I think they may not chew so much when they went in , and were fresh , at beginning of winter if it was colder and the bees were more lethargic as well as its a numbers game .

I think I should put fresh strips in now and see if they attack them more .

First time using this so have done some hives with staples and some with bayvarol. Have just completed doing the 4 week strip replacement, and have noticed that a lot (not all) the hives with staples have a scattered brood pattern compared to the bayvarol'ed hives, I'm theorising that some OA has entered the food supply and killing just emerged eggs. Expecting this situation to right itself over time.

We now live in a time where our bees have pathogens of all types, that were just not a factor in pre varroa days. If my theory about some OA in the food is correct and a lot of larvae have a higher than normal level of OA in their stomachs, I'm wondering if this might have a positive effect on pathogen levels.

Just a theory, any thoughts?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tommy dave said:

for example - not my job to deal with illegally selling soaked strips as a complete treatment though - figure nobody would be that stupid given the potential consequences.

i can post others if you want.

edit: i probably tend towards prosecution being the appropriate response if someone was breaking the law in this manner.

Regardless, people illegally selling treatments as treatments should be careful who they sell to - shouldn't trust people like those in the screenshot below. And others, including some with scale

staples.PNG

obviously left the details of the linked page out of the screenshot - probably fairly easy to guess what it is though

want more?

safe to assume all purchasers lack cells

Do you work in a government or related role?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

First time using this so have done some hives with staples and some with bayvarol. Have just completed doing the 4 week strip replacement, and have noticed that a lot (not all) the hives with staples have a scattered brood pattern compared to the bayvarol'ed hives, I'm theorising that some OA has entered the food supply and killing just emerged eggs. Expecting this situation to right itself over time.

We now live in a time where our bees have pathogens of all types, that were just not a factor in pre varroa days. If my theory about some OA in the food is correct and a lot of larvae have a higher than normal level of OA in their stomachs, I'm wondering if this might have a positive effect on pathogen levels.

Just a theory, any thoughts?

I’ve not used oxalic /syrup drizzle before but is this effect also noted when bees are dribbled?