ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

8 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

were those strips put in in early autumn or refreshed during the winter

They went in March/ April
Every August /December/ March (Give or take) for 3 yrs this one got 20 at a time.
From a single it went to 5 boxes and stayed there except for the box I took off this past winter because it was too tall and feared it would fall over, ruining my valuable experiment.

God has watched over this hive.
Mid winter the Bulls tipped most hives in the site over but left this one.

It was then that it was lowered and strapped.

Lets not forget nutrition

$3 /kg bush has probably done the Honey be a great service.

There have been opinions in the past that Bees do just as well on 50/50 syrup

Id doubt that.
Maybe what the industry needs is high price Manuka and Clover, low price Bush.

Let the Bees have the bush and stop feeding overwinter sugar.
Hives like mine are a process and nutrition is a big part of that process

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 2

Hi everyone! I am going to make my own strips this season - I already put some in 4 weeks ago which were made by a friend. I have sewed my staples, but my question is around the type of Glycerin to purchase. I saw a mention somewhere on the forums about  Glycerin purchased from Farmlands not working in the way it soaked into the strips in the correct dose. Please correct me if I am wrong?  I rang Farmlands to ask which types they sold and the ones they sell are: Donahys; Ecolab; GSE Ecolab; Farmguard.   I have not yet asked PGG.  Does anyone have any advice here?

(Also - where would I purchase Oxalic Acid?)  Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hi everyone! I am going to make my own strips this season - I already put some in 4 weeks ago which were made by a friend. I have sewed my staples, but my question is around the type of Glycerin to purchase. I saw a mention somewhere on the forums about  Glycerin purchased from Farmlands not working in the way it soaked into the strips in the correct dose. Please correct me if I am wrong?  I rang Farmlands to ask which types they sold and the ones they sell are: Donahys; Ecolab; GSE Ecolab; Farmguard.   I have not yet asked PGG.  Does anyone have any advice here?

All ingredients are available from Clarke products Niven street Napier

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

@Philbee Hey Phil, thanks for the call. Good to put a voice to a name. If the season goes to plan you can expect me heading over your way to buy a round of something a bit more drinkable than glycerine...after I've finished the wallpapering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KyleM said:

@Philbee Hey Phil, thanks for the call. Good to put a voice to a name. If the season goes to plan you can expect me heading over your way to buy a round of something a bit more drinkable than glycerine...after I've finished the wallpapering.

Cool
I think the Cream and Black will work well for you

wallpaper.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Cool
I think the Cream and Black will work well for you

wallpaper.jpg

That looks rather cool 😊

• Agree 1

On 23/09/2019 at 8:35 PM, Sheryl said:

@Sheryl

I believe you have a Farm Source store in Oamaru. They sell the Ecolab glycerine. I use this and am completely happy with it.

• Like 2

Hello. I'm new to this excellent forum and idea sharing. Keen beekeeper for 8 years. I well know that Varroa control is absolutely vital. I have used Bav, Api, Oxi dribble, Oxi towels.

From Autumn 2019 (last chem treatment was winter /spring of 2018)  I have only used OA staples 60--40% ratio. My hives are roaring ahead. Mite count on alcohol was 1 month ago was 3/250 bees although I found mites in the wash so very hard to see. 

But what is best practice now? Do I keep staples in 100% of the year? Do I mix with Chemical treatments. Do I pull staples out and leave hives untreated until end of feb ? I know there is huge varying opinion but ,for example, what are the best commercial beekeepers doing successfully re varroa. I need best practice laid out for me to follow as I'm a simple soul

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carol2 said:

Hello. I'm new to this excellent forum and idea sharing. Keen beekeeper for 8 years. I well know that Varroa control is absolutely vital. I have used Bav, Api, Oxi dribble, Oxi towels.

From Autumn 2019 (last chem treatment was winter /spring of 2018)  I have only used OA staples 60--40% ratio. My hives are roaring ahead. Mite count on alcohol was 1 month ago was 3/250 bees although I found mites in the wash so very hard to see. 

But what is best practice now? Do I keep staples in 100% of the year? Do I mix with Chemical treatments. Do I pull staples out and leave hives untreated until end of feb ? I know there is huge varying opinion but ,for example, what are the best commercial beekeepers doing successfully re varroa. I need best practice laid out for me to follow as I'm a simple soul

Lol

Hi Carol

8 years is a long time for a Non Beekeeper who doesn't want Bees

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Hello --The system let me down. I have asked the site moderator/owner to correct it for me --sorry about that

Carol2.

1 hour ago, Carol2 said:

we are using OAG staples spring and autumn with no problems. So, we don't have them in all year and essentially we just use them like commercial strips. However, you should check that it worked and that they're under control;  in case they aren't. I think best practise is to do some mite counts so you know where you stand.

On 23/09/2019 at 7:21 AM, nikki watts said:

my Observations 

In damp or hives under 6 frames of bees most of our queens are cowering in a corner as far away as she can get from the staples. Often away from the stores too, the hives seem a bit disorganised and very little brood is being raised.

These hives are going backward in bee numbers, I’ve taken the remaining overwintering staples out and given them a feedbee Pattie and rearranged the brood and food. 

Strong hives have chewed out the staples or the queen has just layed right under them 

i wonder about the reaction between the oxalic and dampness, the damp strips seem to have a rotten egg smell to them.

Nikki has highlighted part of what seems to me to be very pertinent, there have been several further posts to support this and also a post that questioned the type of glycerine used.  We have learned a lot about the effect of cold and damp houses on the health of the humans that live in them, why should bees be any different?  Glycerine by it's nature attracts moisture.  A strong ventilated hive produces it's own heat sufficient to keep O/A staples dry, we have seen staples ooze when not in the brood cluster when they are able to absorb moisture, and that cannot be good for hive health.  I have always tried to position hives for best winter and least summer sun, least wind and least frost and cold and as a hobbyist I have more flexibility than most.  I know that commercial practicality comes into it and pallets of hives often get left very exposed and where the truck can best pick them up, and mostly your good strong hives can survive this and the virus loads that may be associated.  Tough little critters these bees.  But we are seeing failures, and I think that the dampness that the glycerine attracts has a big part to play when combined with  poor nutrition and exposed hive siting.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Posted (edited)
On 9/09/2019 at 3:46 PM, yesbut said:

I've dusted off my toilet paper cardboard core idea. Soaked for a few minutes in water, they delaminate into two strips each of which could be folded in half lengthwise and hung between frames by a bend in one end. Each dry core weighs exactly 45gms. They soak up (hot) oa solution really well but also tend to disintegrate. I'll see what they're like when they cool down. I am about to soak a heap of them in water, unroll them, then set them out to dry, they might be easier to handle when oa-ed up once already unrolled. There's certainly no issue about them not holding oa.

Just thinking again, each strip of card is just on 300mm long, so they could be stapled together at one end to facilitate hanging...

Just thinking again, they could also be re-relaminated using the kid's stapler...

An unravelled toilet roll core ..

20190909_155213 (Medium).jpg

And why am I bothering with this you ask ? It's because I haven't been able to come across any other suitably absorbent cardboard. Free that is. And there's something appealing about recycling bogrolls.

Now folded......

20190910_095147 (Medium).jpg

I am not making this up, this happened to me today, all true.

I was getting ready to go do a yard of bees and was looking into my sugar tank to check if I had enough sugar for the day when a visitor stops in, so we have a chat for awhile then its time to go do the bees.

At the yard about 6 hives in I realized that the other thing I should of done before I left was go to the loo, so I go to the truck to get loo paper and notice the lid is not on the sugar tank.

Fuming at losing my lid, I grab the bread bag with the toilet role in it as i need to go, and the bag felt very light as there is only 2 sheets and the cardboard roll, last person to use didn't replenish.

Now I'm really fuming as I really have to go, which I did.

This site has only pine, gorse, pampas grass and manuka shrubs in it, nothing to use from nature here and I don't have any other paper in truck.

So I'm standing there with my pants around my ankles and my hive top pulled up around my waist with the wind up my backside and hoping the buzzing sound around my rear end is blowflies and not bees looking at this toilet roll and thinking how many layers are in it and how do I peel it as I clipped my finger nails a few days ago.

It was a sunny day and I had time on my side, so standing there bare-arsed for all the world to see i started to peel the roll like an onion.

While peeling the roll I thought about how that little chat with the visitor was not worth as much  as the tank lid I lost,

how the bee industry will be ok, yah one layer off, 

there will be some that maybe change their careers but the bee industry will be ok, at least I in a career that I have the freedom to crap in the woods, I'm glad i work for myself out doors because, if i worked in a supermarket I'd get fired for taking a crap in aisle 5 when caught short.

what will i do when I give up the bees, no family member wants them, when will I give up the bees, yah another layer off,

at least I'm by myself right now, what if I was beekeeping in Canada now and a bear came out of the woods, what would i do, wish i hadn't trimmed my finger nails, yah the last layer off,

so now I can just finish the job. I was thinking did this happen because I mentioned it on here the other day, if so, lotto is looking good this Saturday.

On the way home i found my lid a bit banged around the edges but still ok, I felt the same-way really.

I see the supermarket has 12 roles of toilet paper for sale, wonder if they in aisle 5, think i may call in and get some.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
Double post
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

You know you only need one segment to do a proper job.....fold it in half, then fold in half again 90 deg to the first fold. Then carefully pinch/tear off about 10mm of the folded corner and stick this wee piece between your teeth.  Unfold the segment which now has a hole in the middle through which you stick a finger up to the second knuckle. You use this finger to do the job, then with the other hand gather the paper up and withdraw the finger. Finally, take the corner piece  and clean around the fingernail. Job done , one segment.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

seems like canada's not the only place you you need to watch out for bare's

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Awaiting the next exciting installment, but nothing for 4 days now.  Is this the end of the road for this thread? Did it just turn to sh#t?  

Maybe everyone is concentrating on more cathartic issues with the Spring build up, bees flat out, new queens, more O/A staples required or do I do a quick synthetic treatment before the flow starts?

Edited by Beehaving
typo

Oxalic staples may be a good option as there would be a couple of good folds worth in each one.. 

Anyhoo... interesting to see this seasons chewing has been fairly  minimal, staples in end of August, bees built well and had top splits made above entranced mat placing a ripe cell, mating appears good so far with a couple more days to wait for capped brood.. downstairs in the engine room last yrs queens are chugging away on a nice willow flow and the  miteless colony is barely touching the staples. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Oxalic staples may be a good option as there would be a couple of good folds worth in each one.. 

Anyhoo... interesting to see this seasons chewing has been fairly  minimal, staples in end of August, bees built well and had top splits made above entranced mat placing a ripe cell, mating appears good so far with a couple more days to wait for capped brood.. downstairs in the engine room last yrs queens are chugging away on a nice willow flow and the  miteless colony is barely touching the staples. 

As at the 20th September my Hives hadnt touched the staples either but mark my words its coming.
Even a hive with 18 frames of Brood still had last Autumn Staples in.
We are doing a staple munching trial which started on the twentieth of Sept and will run through to end of November 
Ill check next on the 20th of this month and report back but expect that by then many of the middle staples will be substantially chewed

44 minutes ago, Stoney said:

.......barely touching the staples.

Mine aren’t chewing either , but they aren’t through the middle anymore so they are possibly not as inclined to remove them . 

My bees are just starting to chew the middle staples.  Strongest hives are doing more staple chewing.

6 hours ago, M4tt said:

Mine aren’t chewing either , but they aren’t through the middle anymore so they are possibly not as inclined to remove them . 

Last season at this time ours were flat out removing them and they were placed opposite ends as per my method.. just an interesting note really.. not sure why as strength is definitely there. .. 

I mean some are certainly removing them but overall nothing like last season..

this season round here is poles apart from the last .. thank the gods, having a very good willow flow currently things are extremely positive. Regular rain to boot. 

Last year we got a springs worth of rain during the Manuka’s  patchy flowering. 

• Good Info 1

On 20/09/2019 at 7:55 PM, jamesc said:

Well I'll tell ya what .... this beekeeping has got me bluffed.

Been doin' it for thirty plus years and this year is gonna be one of the toughest .... particularly when opening up hives about to hit a willow flow that look like this.

So .... this queen is up for sale ..... overwintered and ready to go ..... only she got nowhere to go. 

I've said it it before, and I'll say it again, I am totally bluffed as to what is going on. We pulled a truck load of 96 survivors out of the dew six weeks ago .....another 50% of those survivors have dwindled and died.

This has to be more than an O/A malfunction, and I 'd be interested to get a an idea from some of the Greatest Beekeepers in the world.

PS .. you need to check out the photo above ChCH Paul !

This thread gets away on me so I’m late to comment. Time for a pop quiz (you’ll tell me if any of this is wrong James)

- dwindling hives

-  queen right

-  low/ no brood

-  stores on board

- varroa control not likely the issue

. . . . sounds like . . .  ?

10 minutes ago, JohnF said:

This thread gets away on me so I’m late to comment. Time for a pop quiz (you’ll tell me if any of this is wrong James)

- dwindling hives

-  queen right

-  low/ no brood

-  stores on board

- varroa control not likely the issue

. . . . sounds like . . .  ?

Cororapa.

Did you ever get test results back from MPI @jamesc

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

Cororapa

I googled it and could not find much useful .

Am I right in thinking no one understands what coroapa is ?