ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

You are all forgetting something.

The urban hobbyist boom will not be driven by Manuka or Honey values.

It will be driven by the feel good buzz of owning a beehive, saving the planet and free Honey

Never ever underestimate the power of "Free".

As a side benefit will be the opportunity to create small income streams along the way.

If you think Im just making all this up , Think again.

Im dealing with people every day who are heading down this path and I am only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Varroa and the Viruses are the issue right now, so what happens when we can control these effectively.

AFB is my bet.

Whats more @Ali there are vast areas of sites yet to be opened up.

Believe me I know.

There are huge farms with eager Sons buying Hives and getting into the industry.

Its going to be massive

Whats more @Ali there are vast areas of sites yet to be opened up.

Believe me I know.

There are huge farms with eager Sons buying Hives and getting into the industry.

Its going to be massive

showmeshowme.... I'd say the sons are buying the hives and Wat-sons will be losing sites and it'll be like Bee trucks loaded with hives driving around and nowhere to put them so send em off down south and see if we can convert $12/kg clover into $600/kg clover and all of a sudden the consumer loses his sweet tooth.

Those of us who are astute should be remortgaging our homes and buying some run down sheep farms on the ParaPara's where the land is oozing away into the Wanganui and planting her out virtually for free with Horizons generous grants for reafforestation and then rent the land out to Wats an his son and go fishing, or motorbiking or just be flat out like a lizard ....on a sunday afternoon.

showmeshowme.... I'd say the sons are buying the hives and Wat-sons will be losing sites and it'll be like Bee trucks loaded with hives driving around and nowhere to put them so send em off down south and see if we can convert $12/kg clover into $600/kg clover and all of a sudden the consumer loses his sweet tooth.

Those of us who are astute should be remortgaging our homes and buying some run down sheep farms on the ParaPara's where the land is oozing away into the Wanganui and planting her out virtually for free with Horizons generous grants for reafforestation and then rent the land out to Wats an his son and go fishing, or motorbiking or just be flat out like a lizard ....on a sunday afternoon.

I think its already under way in the Paraparas

I know of land that only has hives on the road boundary.

The farmers are saying they want more hives out back.

• Agree 1

I think its already under way in the Paraparas

I know of land that only has hives on the road boundary.

The farmers are saying they want more hives out back.

wanna form a JV ?:D

• Like 1

Any way. Back to the OP. Smallest count yet. 220. First time today I say some towels on the sticky board.

• Like 1

Any way. Back to the OP. Smallest count yet. 220. First time today I say some towels on the sticky board.

Good on yer Trevor ..... back in line. has anyone had experience of oxcalic in the drench gun ..... whats the life expectancy of the gun ?

Good on yer Trevor ..... back in line. has anyone had experience of oxcalic in the drench gun ..... whats the life expectancy of the gun ?

Yes. I have.

OA is ok with the drench gun. You just need to flush it out at the end of the day with clean water.

Mine is about 5 years old. 20ml gun from Farmlands at around $20.00/$30.00

Depends how much drenching you do and how well you look after them the acid will eat the seals but if you rinse them when finished they last better we now use a more expensive Phillips one but we use every week, the cheaper ones don't last as long but it depends how much you using them, sometimes local farm store will give cheaper ones away.

Flush with water, then store with vege oil inside it , which is important if you want it to last

Agree with the oil as @M4tt says, the more expensive guns come with some

Im in the dog box for using my wife's good stainless steel pot for mixing OA and Glycerine.

The OA strips the surface or "passivates" the stainless and in looks yuc for a while.

Depends how much drenching you do and how well you look after them the acid will eat the seals but if you rinse them when finished they last better we now use a more expensive Phillips one but we use every week, the cheaper ones don't last as long but it depends how much you using them, sometimes local farm store will give cheaper ones away.

Have you tried OA/GL in Oasis foam yet?

To be expected at this time. However what would be interesting is how much oa / glycerine mix is left in the towel and if it will continue getting a decent kill of whatever mites are still around.

Have you tried OA/GL in Oasis foam yet?

Yes I have soaked some, but not in a hive yet my small concern which is only small is it soaks up a large amount for a small area I think this treatment relied on a larger surface area I could be wrong, the removal process may be enough contact. I put some in a close hive to keep eye on. I think I have to go back though some hives as I think I was bit light on the ones I treated with him paper, though those hives where quite hungry and have reduced in size so I may have fluked the right dose.

My observation so far is the OA, stays in the towel until it removed, it doesn't seem to evaporate or degrade, the glycerine seems to hold it, obviously then it comes down to how much cloth is left.

Yes I have soaked some, but not in a hive yet my small concern which is only small is it soaks up a large amount for a small area I think this treatment relied on a larger surface area I could be wrong, the removal process may be enough contact. I put some in a close hive to keep eye on. I think I have to go back though some hives as I think I was bit light on the ones I treated with him paper, though those hives where quite hungry and have reduced in size so I may have fluked the right dose.

Its a tricky one.

Im not sure it is about dose only.

Its about having a medium that will stand up to the bees so that they are unable to clean the GL away all at once.

Im wondering if the bees actually feed on the GL

A mini tampon weighs 2.5g and will hold 35gr of 50/50 OA/GL, total 38g.

Im heading out to feed and treat so will try a couple in hives.

Hanging between frames or laying on top??

What is for sure is they hold a lot of product

How would this go in singles? I am taking honey off at the moment and have managed hives this season as single FD brood boxes and will winter as singles. Just wondering if the bees will have enough contact the medium, or better to put a wet back on and treat.

17361977_1690750987606090_8461512663234769040_n.jpg.3e50284e6fde5e4772f94adf3bf5530a.jpg

17361977_1690750987606090_8461512663234769040_n.jpg.3e50284e6fde5e4772f94adf3bf5530a.jpg

How would this go in singles? I am taking honey off at the moment and have managed hives this season as single FD brood boxes and will winter as singles. Just wondering if the bees will have enough contact the medium, or better to put a wet back on and treat.

[ATTACH=full]17280[/ATTACH]

A Wet?

Id be putting at least half a box plus syrup on that along with a whole NZ Herald soaked in OA/GL

• Like 1

Ive got a good feeling about these tampons.

Today Ive jammed them between the bottom bars of the second box just above the Brood.

Just tip the top box back and squeeze it in, easy.

The Paper tape in some hives is just starting to have it's edges chewed after 3-4 days.

sorry new to this way of treating mites,

could i rely on this instead of bayvarol strips or would i still need to do both ??

thanks

sorry new to this way of treating mites,

could i rely on this instead of bayvarol strips or would i still need to do both ??

thanks

I would treat with caution you still want to know whats going on keep close eye on hives, but yes the idea is to use as a treatment

Todays count. 270.

Day 21.

What condition is the towel in by now?

Im seeing dead mites on my paper tape from the box above even although the paper tape is untouched in most hives.

The bees must be spreading the solution by foot