ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

17 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I got a brand new slow cooker(6.5L) from FB for $30. I am very happy with the deal however I have to admit the slow cooker method is ...... slow. It took me 2+ hours to have the OA melted. It was a bit cold in the backyard. There was no chance for the mix to get any near to boiling  point so I am glad that all worked well. staples are soaking till next weekend

I used a big slow cooker last time and found it brilliant. But then I did expect it to take a long time, so I just set a timer for intervals to go and stir it and did other jobs at the same time. 

I use the same second hand slow pot for wax melting and have another smaller one for clean wax to coat plastic frames. 10 bucks off TM 😀

I wouldn’t wait until this weekend to take your staples out as they might have crystallised by then. Remove them now and wipe them down. 

• Thanks 1

917BD259-B02C-4D49-9079-F29DF4C2993B.jpeg

Well here you have it ,,, finished off the first round today ...... it's been a very quick State of the Nation tour opening hives and seeing what's what.  Anything with bees in got a slurp of the secret remedy ...... sugar syrup, O/A and seaweed.

As we closed up the second to last yard of 88 hives and I took the tally ..... 63 dead .... Macabre humour of sorts  takes hold ...... I think we sorted the oversupply of honey this year. 

But I am bluffed. 63 out of 88 hives dead ..... but the live ones are pumping.  There was  a single that had a unit on top of it ..... we put a second brood box on both.

There seems to have been no pattern . I am confused !

So the plan going forward  is to amalgamate the good hives, sugar shake .... treat and .... shower them with love and attention and split the proverbial out of them on the honey flow.

Nothing to it ... easy as ..... right ?

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oxalic dribble?

O/a dribble ..... this applicator seems to be lasting the course.

The $50 drench syringe lasted half a day.

The $50 CRC pump spray bottle lasted half a day.

This calibrated pour on drench applicator has done a couple of days now.

What I forgot to mention, because curiousity killed the cat,   we took bee samples today ..... live bees ,dead bees, detritus bees, that will be winging their way to a an MPI lab shortly to see if there is another culprit rather than incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

O/a dribble ..... this applicator seems to be lasting the course.

The $50 drench syringe lasted half a day.

The $50 CRC pump spray bottle lasted half a day.

This calibrated pour on drench applicator has done a couple of days now.

What I forgot to mention, because curiousity killed the cat,   we took bee samples today ..... live bees ,dead bees, detritus bees, that will be winging their way to a an MPI lab shortly to see if there is another culprit rather than incompetence.

Good . 

Far too big to ignore 

37 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Good . 

Far too big to ignore 

Wow that's a massave loss and I was a bit upset today when I done a Bush site  that had 25% losses 2xDLs and 2x Starved from 16, I hadn't been to the site in over 14 weeks though, just been mainly focused on my manuka sites. 

13 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well here you have it ,,, finished off the first round today ...... it's been a very quick State of the Nation tour opening hives and seeing what's what.  Anything with bees in got a slurp of the secret remedy ...... sugar syrup, O/A and seaweed.

As we closed up the second to last yard of 88 hives and I took the tally ..... 63 dead .... Macabre humour of sorts  takes hold ...... I think we sorted the oversupply of honey this year. 

But I am bluffed. 63 out of 88 hives dead ..... but the live ones are pumping.  There was  a single that had a unit on top of it ..... we put a second brood box on both.

There seems to have been no pattern . I am confused !

So the plan going forward  is to amalgamate the good hives, sugar shake .... treat and .... shower them with love and attention and split the proverbial out of them on the honey flow.

Nothing to it ... easy as ..... right ?

Scary.

Are you just finding empty hives ?

Any signs of abandoned brood or drone brood ? 

Our losses are all a mixed bag of reasons. 

Big hives that starved out over winter, drone laying.

And the ones that worry me, the ones that look like they just dwindled down until the last cold snap took them out. A hand sized patch of abandoned  brood, some stores and dead bees in cluster. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, nikki watts said:

And the ones that worry me, the ones that look like they just dwindled down until the last cold snap took them out. A hand sized patch of abandoned  brood, some stores and dead bees in cluster. 

That is what we are finding also

47 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Do you think they have been weakened by disease or virus loads ?? 

Some of ours I can put down to me not requeening in autumn when I should have, but others I’m just not sure about. I’ve afb checked and can’t see any sign of that. 

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

8 hours ago, nikki watts said:

To me that is a sign of Cororapa especially if your stores arent being robbed out.  Pick up some bees and get it tested. 

Cororapa is a mix of 2 viruses Lotmaria Passim and Noseema Ceranae.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

9 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Scary.

Are you just finding empty hives ?

Any signs of abandoned brood or drone brood ? 

Our losses are all a mixed bag of reasons. 

Big hives that starved out over winter, drone laying.

Snap ! us too

who do we get to test bees

42 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

Snap ! us too

@JohnF at D Nature Laboratories.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Do you think they have been weakened by disease or virus loads ?? 

Some of ours I can put down to me not requeening in autumn when I should have, but others I’m just not sure about. I’ve afb checked and can’t see any sign of that. 

TBH I have absolutely no idea.

The total tally was 738 dead hives .... but ..." We are the boys from the bush right .... we don't back down  and we don't give up". Lyrics from  some country song.

Which is why I'm nervous to use O/A again until we have sorted our Modus Operandii.

A6AFCACB-0BD7-4044-8739-73EC9C483762.jpeg

4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The total tally was 738 dead hives .... but ..." We are the boys from the bush right .... we don't back down  and we don't give up". Lyrics from  some country song.

Which is why I'm nervous to use O/A again until we have sorted our Modus Operandii.

Which brings me to my next point ...

Fonterra made a massive loss last year ..... watching Trade Me the market for beehives has collapsed .... reading the press China is busy steralising ethic minorities  while to the south the country is in revolt ..... I tend to echo Philbee ..... the last two years have been very tough ...... I am thinking the next two are gonna be even tougher.

So .... where to now Kimosabhe ?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jamesc said:

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned neighbours having 50% losses, did they mention a cause?

There does seem to be a lot of bk's on here reporting Nosema like symptoms....

1 minute ago, CraBee said:

In one of your earlier posts you mentioned neighbours having 50% losses, did they mention a cause?

There does seem to be a lot of bk's on here reporting Nosema like symptoms....

"Neighbours"  on the PM forum .....

We have a bunch of frozen samples in the the freezer ready to head up to a lab.

In the meantime, i have been composing an ad ..... I hate seeing two trucks sitting idle in the shed.

'Stella and The MAN.....

Available for short term liasons ,

Cranes and long decks to ensure a happy ending.....

Or something like that.

2 hours ago, kevin moore said:

Snap ! us too

If you call the MPI 0800 hotline  your phone should go red hot. Mine did.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, fieldbee said:

To me that is a sign of Cororapa especially if your stores arent being robbed out.  Pick up some bees and get it tested. 

Cororapa is a mix of 2 viruses Lotmaria Passim and Noseema Ceranae.

I’ll collect some from the next hive with these symptoms. 

We had our bees tested as part of the exotic pest surveillance. I’ll have a look back through the results and see if we had any virus present back then. 

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Which brings me to my next point ...

Fonterra made a massive loss last year ..... watching Trade Me the market for beehives has collapsed .... reading the press China is busy steralising ethic minorities  while to the south the country is in revolt ..... I tend to echo Philbee ..... the last two years have been very tough ...... I am thinking the next two are gonna be even tougher.

So .... where to now Kimosabhe ?

728 !!! Wow 😱. Out of how many of you don’t mind me asking ?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

738 dead from how many total James? 

1000 total would be truly astonishing.. 

of the dead hives is there a relation at all to their wintering sites? 

You mentioned cold and windy..I wonder if you have drawn any links anywhere to shed some light. 

Im back at work and am seeing everything from 7 slabs of emerging brood thumpers to 3 frames of bees.. some sites are out of control while a valley over they’re tiny and only big enough for 1 or 2 fresh staples .. however .. overal they’re mite free. 

Still the odd site showing a few though but then that was always the case. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@JohnF at D Nature Laboratories.

dnature.co.nz/bees

We've just heard of over 50 hives on the East Coast with similar symptoms and received samples this afternoon. They'll get the Nosema duo assay run on them (both nosema ceranae and nosema apis, as well as Lotmaria passim). The same bee DNA extracts can also be tested for AFB and we'll rule this out. As @fieldbee said earlier, these hives tend to have plenty of stores that don't get robbed out. Also typically no dead bees seen (on baseboard or out front)

If you're debating whether to test or not, chuck 20 bees into a ziplock bag and lob in the freezer . . .and then you've got time to decide. If you suspect poisoning then good to get a fresh nectar sample around the brood as well.

On the ApiNZ conference website, you can see a talk that Richard Hall (MPI Bee pathogen program) and I gave on viruses and nosema pathogens

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Fonterra made a massive loss last year ...

Do you think it could go the way of solid energy ?

8 hours ago, nikki watts said:

I’ll collect some from the next hive with these symptoms. 

We had our bees tested as part of the exotic pest surveillance. I’ll have a look back through the results and see if we had any virus present back then. 

728 !!! Wow 😱. Out of how many of you don’t mind me asking ?

1500 ......   

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, JohnF said:

dnature.co.nz/bees

We've just heard of over 50 hives on the East Coast with similar symptoms and received samples this afternoon. They'll get the Nosema duo assay run on them (both nosema ceranae and nosema apis, as well as Lotmaria passim). The same bee DNA extracts can also be tested for AFB and we'll rule this out. As @fieldbee said earlier, these hives tend to have plenty of stores that don't get robbed out. Also typically no dead bees seen (on baseboard or out front)

If you're debating whether to test or not, chuck 20 bees into a ziplock bag and lob in the freezer . . .and then you've got time to decide. If you suspect poisoning then good to get a fresh nectar sample around the brood as well.

On the ApiNZ conference website, you can see a talk that Richard Hall (MPI Bee pathogen program) and I gave on viruses and nosema pathogens

john are dead bees any good ? same thing hives heaps of stores, seems to be hitting the older hives - late summer/autumn hives seem to be getting though ok, i don't believe it has any thing to do with the varora strips as we used two different strips some times in the same hives, they still died. always seems to be the same thing, hive gets down to a little cluster of about 40-60 bees then they just get hit with the cold, in a lot of these hives the queen seems to disappear quite early on leaving no brood to come on,

TALK to those who are putting it out there congratulations. It is really hard to see losses like this , let alone share it. We all know we  can feel bad finding AFB and so many do not share that from a sense of shame. 

I was in the dairy industry years ago when subsidies were removed and remember the toll on community and families. There will be beekeepers out there that are struggling to cope with low prices and losses like this. They can also tend to close down and not talk, stoic types you know, men's men etc.

Talk to your anyone or reach out to a professional. MIke King is on your side.Do not suffer in silence.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

john are dead bees any good ? same thing hives heaps of stores, seems to be hitting the older hives - late summer/autumn hives seem to be getting though ok, i don't believe it has any thing to do with the varora strips as we used two different strips some times in the same hives, they still died. always seems to be the same thing, hive gets down to a little cluster of about 40-60 bees then they just get hit with the cold, in a lot of these hives the queen seems to disappear quite early on leaving no brood to come on,

Dead bees are fine to test Kevin. But usually with the Cororapa issue (not saying it is, mind) then there are few/nil dead bees seen - just a handful of brood bees and often a queen. No dead bees out the front that might be seen with poisoning/karaka

• Like 1

Same story here . Normally I overwinter as a single with top feeder if needed , but left a box of honey on this year . Had one site of 10 hives , 9 doubles all dead , most with untouched honey super and all with capped brood . No sign of disease in the brood , but very few dead bees around either . It’s like someone came in with a vacuum cleaner and sucked up all the bees . The one single on site is still ok , but if I recall , was a late supercedure . 

Two other sites were humming with wasps , but in hind site , the hives were probably weakened already . Interestingly , the wasps took vespex so would suggest they are still breeding .those sites I’ve lost about 40% . 

End result , I’ve gone from wannabe commercial to wannabe hobbyist  . Bees aren’t my main income , but they are something I really enjoy , so this still feels like a big kick in the guts . I would be the first to admit , I haven’t put as much time into the bees this year , but still did the usual treatments and disease checks , so nothing out of the ordinary there . 

• Like 5
  • Good Info 2