ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, Philbee said:

The hives in the video are Hives opened consecutively for photos and not the pick of the bunch, just typical Hives in my operation.

They have all been treated exclusively with Staples for 2 or more seasons and this season just spring and Autumn.

Vast majority  have low to zero mite counts after a month of treatment and will bolt through to Spring

Every one of them has Staples in the Brood nest

https://youtu.be/VmFuFjc8JZQ?

Certainly a big population for middle of winter! They are even building queen cells.

32 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Certainly a big population for middle of winter! They are even building queen cells.

Thats what happens when you dont take Honey off big healthy Hives.

However it was only May and might be a bit different now.

• Like 1

I've just had a quick poke around in a dozen hives . Last check was 18 May 2019.

Without exception , all Staples within the cluster have been fully chewed out , except where they rest over the top bar .

Effectively , this means there is no treatment in contact with the new brood.

I have moved unchewed staples from outside the cluster , back in , so treatment is effective again. 

76252C50-7488-4608-96F6-42D07E77F66C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Good Info 1

@M4tt, it is quite similar here too with no edge protected staples(double zig-zag sewing).

• Good Info 1

9 hours ago, M4tt said:

I've just had a quick poke around in a dozen hives . Last check was 18 May 2019.

Without exception , all Staples within the cluster have been fully chewed out , except where they rest over the top bar .

Effectively , this means there is no treatment in contact with the new brood.

I have moved unchewed staples from outside the cluster , back in , so treatment is effective again. 

76252C50-7488-4608-96F6-42D07E77F66C.jpeg

How long has that staple been in and is it a 3 layer or 4?

I only use 4 layer now

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

I only use 4 layer now

It's one of your 3 layers .

They've been in since mid Feb and while a few had nibbled at them up till May, this is the first time I've seen them chewed consistently .

All that chewing has happened in the last 7 or so weeks 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, M4tt said:

It's one of your 3 layers .

They've been in since mid Feb and while a few had nibbled at them up till May, this is the first time I've seen them chewed consistently .

All that chewing has happened in the last 7 or so weeks 

OK

Id wager that its happened over the last 2 weeks and indicates  that the Bees are shifting into spring mode.

Its early IMO and other Beeks are seeing this early start also.
The 4 Layer version that I use require 4 week visits for assessment in Spring

Edited by Philbee
  • Good Info 1

13 hours ago, Philbee said:

I only use 4 layer now

Looks like your gonna have to do a bit of feeding, looking good though

38 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Why ?

3 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

A few hives are a little lite but since I left all Honey on (second year in a row) the Bees generally well off for feed

No question that Honey is better feed than sugar.

Also I have a hunch that individual hives are better than palletised hives.
This is a subject worthy of a trial

16 minutes ago, Philbee said:

A few hives are a little lite but since I left all Honey on (second year in a row) the Bees generally well off for feed

No question that Honey is better feed than sugar.

Also I have a hunch that individual hives are better than palletised hives.
This is a subject worthy of a trial

Already done it,  and yes it is because you can position each hive towards the sun and slope them and you get way less drift/AFB spread.

I noticed that if you get AFB on a pallet next season the same pallet is quite likely to have AFB again and when you stand in front of a entrance the bees get confused and fly to the next pallet or entrance near by because to a bee they sort of don't distinguish if they are all placed in the same manner. 

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

9 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Already done it,  and yes it is because you can position each hive towards the sun and slope them and you get way less drift/AFB spread.

I noticed that if you get AFB on a pallet next season the same pallet is quite likely to have AFB again and when you stand in front of a entrance the bees get confused and fly to the next pallet or entrance near by because to a bee they sort of don't distinguish if they are all placed in the same manner. 

A couple of years ago I was playing around with ways to stop swarming, and put a cut out piece of Queen excluder over the entrance to a hive on a pallet.  It was a very strong hive while the one next door was quite weak.  When I went back next time the strong hive was weak and the weak hive was strong.  I think the foraging bees got to the Queen excluder, thought ###### this I'm not going through this, I'll just go in next door instead.  Neither swarmed and the first strong hive turned out to be a cracking good hive still and got three boxes of honey - good Queen.

• Like 4
  • Good Info 2

I wonder to what extent this issue is considered when looking at the apparent downward spiral in Bee Heath?

A good mornings work. The boys both earned $4 and a sore scissor hand for cutting up half the new staples. Next half tomorrow...

63DFF575-852D-40E2-B7B9-B17141927B1E.jpeg

DC9BB7A8-80D1-4CDB-B3D0-DF27B28789F1.jpeg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

A good mornings work. The boys both earned $4 and a sore scissor hand for cutting up half the new staples. Next half tomorrow...

63DFF575-852D-40E2-B7B9-B17141927B1E.jpeg

DC9BB7A8-80D1-4CDB-B3D0-DF27B28789F1.jpeg

Blasted slave labour.  $4.00 for how many hours work.  What about the living wage. and food and clothing and shelter.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Found a really strong nasty hive at one of my sites the other day so I decided to alc wash it and it came back to me with 5 stings and 13 mites from 400. Mite bomb! 

I added new staples and placed them in the cluster, the other hive tested got 3 from 350 so I just replaced anything worn and re place the rest to the cluster. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Found a really strong nasty hive at one of my sites the other day so I decided to alc wash it and it came back to me with 5 stings and 13 mites from 400. Mite bomb! 

I added new staples and placed them in the cluster, the other hive tested got 3 from 350 so I just replaced anything worn and re place the rest to the cluster. 

If I have site showing that I do all the hives

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

If I have site showing that I do all the hives

I will in a couple of weeks, the first flow for this particular area doesn't start until mid October so I try and wait as long as possible

hey @Philbee when  you get a minute, can you please give us a summary of what strips you will be supplying this coming season? I’ve had a play with various options and keen to hear your current thinking? Cheers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

hey @Philbee when  you get a minute, can you please give us a summary of what strips you will be supplying this coming season? I’ve had a play with various options and keen to hear your current thinking? Cheers

Lol

More like a summary of what Staples Ill be using this season.
Wides will be 4 layers and narrows six layers

I only use Edge protected.

Some will have hemp between layers but they cost me heaps to make

Some will be made with organic cotton which is 10 times the price of polyester and is imported from the US.

Ill be looking very closely at my 40% ratio and playing round with building some sort of data set on what happens between 40%and 44% because there is a fine line there.

Spring Efficacy trials will look at chewing rates of the EP Staple which is important because the Autumn trial staples were not chewed at all but spring staples will be.

This is very important data for registration.

Ill probably give the 6 layer EP narrows a good blast as well.

I went out and kicked some hives last week, limped home, so my first issue is going to be last seasons Honey.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 3

Hi @Philbee or others,  so what I understand is that you have only used the staples in your hives (and nothing else) for the last few years.

We have noticed that with all the chewing of staples there is quite a bit of staple debris  left over the frames, which in some cases the bee eventually pull all the way out the door.

Question:

Every time you put new strips in do you clean out all the torn pieces or do you just put new strips in and leave the bees to do all the clean up?

Also are you still making the same skinny ones that you did before the winter or is everything going to be your new more expensive design.  (No doubt maybe more durable as well as more expensive)

12 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Hi @Philbee or others,  so what I understand is that you have only used the staples in your hives (and nothing else) for the last few years.

We have noticed that with all the chewing of staples there is quite a bit of staple debris  left over the frames, which in some cases the bee eventually pull all the way out the door.

Question:

Every time you put new strips in do you clean out all the torn pieces or do you just put new strips in and leave the bees to do all the clean up?

Also are you still making the same skinny ones that you did before the winter or is everything going to be your new more expensive design.  (No doubt maybe more durable as well as more expensive)

My bees have ravenously chewed out their Staples recently, and they are a pile of debris on the ventilated floors.

I am taking the bottom box off the floor on this visit and banging the debris off the floor. I am doing full  AFB checks at the same time . 

Staples get replaced all the way through to about November when they will get entirely removed. They've been in since early Feb. 

Ive seen no evidence of any varroa , anywhere 

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

@fieldbee I’ve been finding that all the frazz falls through the mesh, but needs cleaning away as the wax moths love to hop in to keep warm.

You must have solid bases. And Id still clean it all out rather than expecting the bees to do it cause it will probably turn into a stinky, wet pile. A clean bottom board helps to keep the hive healthy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Question:

They're still only a third of the price of bayv anyway and no synthetic residues. 

• Thanks 1

The only time I remove staples or staple debris is as the Queen excluders / supers go on. 

No such thing as an expensive staple, unless they are EP wides stitched with certified organic cotton, they are scary.

• Thanks 1