ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

15 hours ago, Philbee said:

The most interesting aspect of the work Ive done doesn't relate to Hives that have been treated but instead what is really interesting are the Hives that I left untreated.

Hey @Philbee  please explain

13 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Infesting everyone around you

Just now, Maru Hoani said:

Infesting everyone around you

Beekeepers in my area always leave 4 hives at their manuka sites through winter and they usually end up being DBs. Must be a way of keeping competition down

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Out of the 13 untreated control hives only one had brood at week 4 & 8 of the trial

Whereas all but 1 or 2 of the treated hives still had brood at week 8

The untreated hives in the two best sites had their Varroa on the back foot in that their counts were almost holding or reducing and they would have easily made spring

The site where the untreated controls spiraled out of control was the one closest to a large corporate and was the worst site to start with 
It had initial counts of 15,85,60,32,40,36 and its control hives doubled in mites at week 4 at which time I killed one and treated the other 2.

Seems to me that some Hives are able to manage Varroa and a good Queen in an isolated area could possibly keep a hive alive for a couple of years or more untreated just by creating a broodless period.

Add some poorly managed sites nearby and one season will be their limit.

Another issue is site size

Ive always thought large is bad but my best trial site had 60 hives in it of which 30 were in the trial

This site had no 8 week counts over 1/275 Bees (mostly zero)

The hives are all spaced 2-10m apart which might be much better than blocks of pallets.

Another issue is site size

Ive always thought large is bad but my best trial site had 60 hives in it of which 30 were in the trial

This site had no 8 week counts over 1/275 Bees (mostly zero)

The hives are all spaced 2-10m apart which might be much better than blocks of pallets.

Edited by Philbee
  • Thanks 1

Makes me worry more and more that our strong hives will eventually rob out a hive with AFB. Sooooooo many alerts...

7 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Makes me worry more and more that our strong hives will eventually rob out a hive with AFB. Sooooooo many alerts...

yep .... and Philbee still has a crop sitting on them .....

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, jamesc said:

yep .... and Philbee still has a crop sitting on them .....

Take a look at the AFB map
Western Bays of Taupo are very clean and whats more Im my own neighbor as my Hives sit on 110 square kms of exclusive forage. 

Edited by Philbee
  • Good Info 1

10 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Take a look at the AFB map
Western Bays of Taupo are very clean and whats more Im my own neighbor as my Hives sit on 110 square kms of exclusive forage. 

Sure .... but not everybody reports their AFB ..... Trust me .....

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sure .... but not everybody reports their AFB ..... Trust me .....

I would, if I had any, trust me

Edited by Philbee

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

I would, if I had any, trust me

Why would we trust you.  or for that matter, Why would you trust me.

And that is the problem

Yeah nah ..... you gotta trust me on this one.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Why would we trust you.  or for that matter, Why would you trust me.

And that is the problem

You could just come and do an audit if you were concerned 

Id drive you around 20km off road with 12 cans of Woodstock, calling advice form the truck with the heater on, listening to the Nukes CD.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

You could just come and do an audit if you were concerned 

Id drive you around 20km off road with 12 cans of Woodstock, calling advice form the truck with the heater on, listening to the Nukes CD.

Sounds fun.  But last time I wanted to call in and see you, you decided to have something else to do.

Trust me.  lol

34 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Sounds fun.  But last time I wanted to call in and see you, you decided to have something else to do.

Trust me.  lol

Sorry about that Trev

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Sorry about that Trev

Nah.  All good.  Are you going to Rotorua.  I will see you there.

Posted (edited)

@glynn. I attended the New Zealand Beekeepers Seminar day, today in Takapuna, where I was fortunate enough to be one of the guest speakers.

Also speaking today was Grant Redshaw. He spoke on his experience with Oxalic acid and Glycerine.

Glynn asked me if I would post some notes.

Grant started to investigate and use this treatment about 2.5 years ago when he lost about 50% of his hives to varroa.  He knew he had to do something different and he found out about this treatment thru the South American website (AllumCap) (not sure if I have that right.)

He then started his own research into this treatment using cardboard boxes as the carrier treatment.  These did not last very long as the bees chewed them out pretty quick.

He then found two NZ suppliers, Attwoods Packaging and Oji Fibre Solutions - who are NZ based manufacturers to supply him with ready cut strips and using the Sth American formulae he started treating his hives.

Grant pointed out that you should not experiment with more hives than you are prepared to lose.

After 2.5 years of using OA/Gl strips (that he makes himself) that he is now synthetic free. (I think he said he was synthetic free).

@Mark Goodwin pointed out that whilst it was not illegal to use this treatment yourself, it was illegal to talk about it.

So everyone who has read this far. Please hit your erase button and forget that I wrote this here.

It was also great to greet several forum members there today.  Some for the first time and some to re greet.

@tristan, @hayley@Alastair, @Sailabee, @CraBee, @Kate Rand quite a few others that I can't remember.  Thanks for making a great day.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

oh crap ..... I experimented on 1500 ..... why would it be illegal to talk .....

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

oh crap ..... I experimented on 1500 ..... why would it be illegal to talk .....

I don't know some legal mumbo jumbo to stop us using off label treatment.

Divide and conquer.  

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@glynn. I attended the New Zealand Beekeepers Seminar day, today in Takapuna, where I was fortunate enough to be one of the guest speakers.

Also speaking today was Grant Redshaw. He spoke on his experience with Oxalic acid and Glycerine.

Glynn asked me if I would post some notes.

Grant started to investigate and use this treatment about 2.5 years ago when he lost about 50% of his hives to varroa.  He knew he had to do something different and he found out about this treatment thru the South American website (AllumCap) (not sure if I have that right.)

He then started his own research into this treatment using cardboard boxes as the carrier treatment.  These did not last very long as the bees chewed them out pretty quick.

He then found a NZ supplier (can't remember) to supply him with ready cut strips.  and using the Sth American formulae started treating his hives.

Grant pointed out that you should not experiment with more hives than you are prepared to lose.

After 2.5 years of using OA/Gl strips (that he makes himself) that he is now synthetic free. (I think he said he was synthetic free).

@Mark Goodwin pointed out that whilst it was not illegal to use this treatment yourself, it was illegal to talk about it.

So everyone who has read this far. Please hit your erase button and forget that I wrote this here.

It was also great to greet several forum members there today.  Some for the first time and some to re greet.

@tristan, @hayley@Alastair, @Sailabee, @CraBee, @Kate Rand quite a few others that I can't remember.  Thanks for making a great day.

I liked the bit about simply genetically engineering the mites to make them all sterile. Got the impression that it wasn't quite time for Phil to mothball his machine just yet though. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

We experimented on our whole operation which isn’t 1500.

makes me nervous to hear that kind of talk !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Trevor Gillbanks, yes, excellent day, good to catch up again. Suppliers for the strips were Attwoods Packaging and Oji Fibre Solutions - who are NZ based manufacturers.

Have still to find the article that Graham Woods referred to - I had written down Api Corner, but have yet to find right link on Google.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Suppliers for the strips were Attwoods Packaging and Oji Fibre Solutions - who are NZ based manufacturers.

Thanks.  I have edited my post to add those suppliers.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

We experimented on our whole operation which isn’t 1500.

makes me nervous to hear that kind of talk !

I am only using strips . but I am a hobbyist and there  is no  great penalty for me if it fails .

Yes you and @jamesc are brave but it is inevitable that synthetics will fail ,  the evolution of resistance is a natural process.

The days of a magic bullet ,simple solution to problems with the non human world seem to be over in so many areas these days .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/06/2019 at 8:48 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Nah.  All good.  Are you going to Rotorua.  I will see you there.

yes Ill be there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

yes Ill be there 

We will catch up and have a chat.

• Agree 1

Hmmm ..... just bought a kitchen for demo  in Tauranga ..... might do two birds with one stone.

• Like 1