Jump to content
ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

Recommended Posts

Mites ain’t miraculously going to vanish by themselves. 

The sooner everyone accepts they are managing 2 colonies in one box the better I recon. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Mites ain’t miraculously going to vanish by themselves. 

The sooner everyone accepts they are managing 2 colonies in one box the better I recon. 

Your onto it .... there's a reason why our remote bees are doing better ....  I remeber a few years ago talking over the fence with a neighbouring bee man ..... we had finished pulling out autumn treatements and he was just putting his in.

Disease eradication is a communal thing . We've always been told that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Your onto it .... there's a reason why our remote bees are doing better ....  I remeber a few years ago talking over the fence with a neighbouring bee man ..... we had finished pulling out autumn treatements and he was just putting his in.

Disease eradication is a communal thing . We've always been told that.

Yup couldn't agree more... so the next question is, are you prepared to sign a document making all you sites visible via apiweb to that neighbouring beekeeper, and likewise he shows you his, so you can begin to work together on these issues? 

I am... and I even sent out a couple of carrier pigeons to a couple of my neighbours ... they flew home in one piece , a great start I'm thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few differences in management and results starting to show up now. 

 

I believe having more than about 10 or so hives in an apiary increases the risk of varroa to them all. I think bees drift between hives more than we think and drones certainly do, transporting mites around. Volume of bees and movements just make them harder to control.

 

Timing of treatments is changing in my view. The deadline used to be mid Feb for the start, This looks to be changing to mid Jan, or earlier. Hive collapse after a January mite presence seems to be more severe than before. 

 

Staple placement is all important . I get nervous if I see any circle of brood not exposed to part of a staple. I move them with the brood to cover the centre of the circle, or put a new one there and leave the old one if it's more than 50% chewed out. 

 

I am also wondering about the removability of the Staples by bees. I think I prefer the Staples that the bees chew and remove .

 

I don't remove old Staples during a treatment period , but all my old ones are the chewable type. The bees remove them and I figure they are doing some good in doing  so. I do remove Staples at the completion of treatment, and dispose of them .

 

I only have 36 hives spread over 4 apiaries so my results with Staples are very different to an apiary of 84 . I believe I get a good feel of how to use Staples effectively though . I also don't leave my hives alone for long periods because I have a burning desire to know what's going on inside , good or bad .

  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sheesus Stoney ..... tell you guys where my Sweet spots are ..... you gotta be joking .

 

Yeah yeah ... of course . It needs to happen .... there is no future in me dumping 96 hives 100m up from you .

Edited by jamesc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sheesus Stoney ..... tell you guys where my Sweet spots are ..... you gotta be joking .

And you reckon a co-op will fly ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call Matt,

 I did have a big think about that today .... is hive collapse a domino effect .....  I'd be curious to put a wee camera in a few hives and get a snap shot of what goes on

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

And you reckon a co-op will fly ?

Desperate times call for desperate measures .... right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Philbee said:

And you are doing very well.
What Ive learned from all yours and others input is that we have a real problem in NZ with too many Hives.

And or too many migratory hives,

And or too many Urban Hives
 

And or too many unskilled beekeepers

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sheesus Stoney ..... tell you guys where my Sweet spots are ..... you gotta be joking .

😂. Expected that reaction... this is where I'm heading with my thinking... and 've got 2 larger commercial neighbours that at least agree in the concept and are willing to meet for a yarn. 

Im only talking wintering sites and aint got anything to hide. AFB and varroa, and a little thinking outside the old square. 

We have many many neighbours to us, I'd love to know their treatment dates, I'm happy to tell them mine. 

We no longer treat twice a year it doesn't work for us... it's possible we will be continuous. 

Had a yarn to a young guy who had dropped off a pallet of dew to extract the other day.. he neighbours us, and treats way out of whack to me. 

He also has sites similar to James, not many still breathing. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Yup couldn't agree more... so the next question is, are you prepared to sign a document making all you sites visible via apiweb to that neighbouring beekeeper, and likewise he shows you his, so you can begin to work together on these issues? 

I am... and I even sent out a couple of carrier pigeons to a couple of my neighbours ... they flew home in one piece , a great start I'm thinking. 

Yeah back again ... like I said .... it needs to happen.

 

We have two hard core  sites  where AFB  lives... We've checked , dogged, quarantined ....burnt .... but that little rocking Mama still keeps coming back. I sure as hell want to know if  I have a neighbour  who my bees like to visit.

We might even end up friends ....😍

Edited by jamesc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above is my summer / autumn management of Staples which is quite different to spring buildup , where I move the Staples away from the brood to the ends of the frames so the queen will increase her laying space . 

 

Another obvious, but overlooked point , is there is no point having staples over frames with no  bees on them 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah back again ... like I said .... it needs to happen.

 

We have two hard core  sites  where AFB  lives... We've checked , dogged, quarantined ....burnt .... but that little rocking Mama still keeps coming back. I sure as hell want to know if  I have a neighbour  who my bees like to visit.

I'm in the same boat, I called the agency for a yarn, I was given the info I needed. 

 

We gotta start busting these old moulds and form some new ones I recon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sheesus Stoney ..... tell you guys where my Sweet spots are ..... you gotta be joking .

 

Yeah yeah ... of course . It needs to happen .... there is no future in me dumping 96 hives 100m up from you .

96 is my lucky number lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stoney said:

I'm in the same boat, I called the agency for a yarn, I was given the info I needed. 

 

We gotta start busting these old moulds and form some new ones I recon. 

Well .... I am kinda surprised to hear you got the info you needed ..... I kinda had this feeling that we were doomed to be wearing hi viz til eternity. Well done !

Just now, Maru Hoani said:

96 is my lucky number lol

ha .., funny man eh !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I am also wondering about the removability of the Staples by bees. I think I prefer the Staples that the bees chew and remove .

Come spring and the toughest staples become removable.
From harvest on till overwinter the chewable type work well and the Bees dont really focus on them

 

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

We gotta start busting these old moulds and form some new ones I recon. 

You are onto it Stoney
We have in fact already started and you personally are a big part of that

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Come spring and the toughest staples become removable.
From harvest on till overwinter the chewable type work well and the Bees dont really focus on them

Bang on... These paper chewing b#####s of ours ain't so keen to chew at all outside of the buildup phase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Bang on... These paper chewing b#####s of ours ain't so keen to chew at all outside of the buildup phase. 

Ok so ... the best hives I saw today had all chewd out their staples ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be good to get a show of hands on how many of us would like to see all beekeepers sites on apiweb, or whatever software you may use.. 

i dont really need to know who's they are just that they are there... 

im aware things are a bit tighter spacing for those on the other island, down here we are a bit behind in that respect.. 

I'm sure if we wanted we could get it changed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ok so ... the best hives I saw today had all chewd out their staples ....

Photos james
Chewed out means gone in 10-14 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the registered ones in worried about, seems like a lot of hobbyists have hives and don't know what they're doing and don't have them registered

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Ok so ... the best hives I saw today had all chewd out their staples ....

Takes a good population to chew em out. So I'd agree they would look juicy hives. 

Back in spring was rediculous, im sure if you stood quiet You could hear them chewing.. 

this time of year ours got no steam , a few eggs starting again , some areas zero brood, others haven't stopped laying. 

Overall there ain't much chewing.. 

 

1 minute ago, Maru Hoani said:

It's not the registered ones in worried about, seems like a lot of hobbyists have hives and don't know what they're doing and don't have them registered

And I'd hazard a guess and add some commercials / semi commercials also 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philbee said:

Photos james
Chewed out means gone in 10-14 days

I don't get back in 10 to 14 days  .... at this time of year when we are extracting,  movin bees, drilling winter feed, chasing deer and pigs  not to mention the dreaded firewood .... we are looking at a good five weeks .

13 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Photos james
Chewed out means gone in 10-14 days

Took about five minutes to chew those out

704A7EF3-DCAE-4C32-9EF4-04A2BA13E485.jpeg

These little sweeties tokk a bit longer... been in five weeks

DCF62E7F-61A2-48E7-8B86-BF244EB9B2E8.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Bang on... These paper chewing b#####s of ours ain't so keen to chew at all outside of the buildup phase. 

This why my efficacy trial is now going to run into Spring
Part of it is about the Staples ability to remain effective for a stated period which for the 4 layer EP should be 4 weeks in Spring
 

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this little piggy got sort of chewed, but must have had other issues.

72419879-7221-4A30-820B-B59919662AC4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philbee said:

This why my efficacy trial is now going to run into Spring
Part of it is about the Staples ability to remain effective for a stated period which for the 4 layer EP should be 4 weeks in Spring
 

I look forward to seeing some results, we decided due to our fantastic reinvasion infestations from our wonderfully close minded backward neighbours .. that we will just pull em out and replace with fresh... it would be great to be able to swab them and have a colour show if they've done their dash... feels so wasteful but have no way of telling otherwise.. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...