ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

Mid April and only hives that are showing varroa are the handful that I forgot about in far away places. They now have had strips in for 2 weeks but fortunately weren’t in to bad condition due to brood breaks induced by splitting hives. 

Of note though are splits that had Oxalic strips in with a queen cell, all bar 1 out of 10 failed and raised their own queens. Splits that had queen cell and no strips had 10 out of 10 successful. 🤷‍♂️ 

Most hives have good numbers of bees and good stores.

5C069E71-7C79-4384-8046-F5ABBE1E184A.thumb.jpeg.0882dd4e48575bc823f4edd4aba32470.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 5

14 minutes ago, dansar said:

Of note though are splits that had Oxalic strips in with a queen cell, all bar 1 out of 10 failed

This is exactly what happened to me.  Though over 60+ hives.  No one else seemed to have any issues and I knew for sure there was a negative relationship between ox staples and cells.

Possibly a late summer/autumn issue.  If anyone else placed cells to requeen/split at the same time as Ox staples please share.... 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

10 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

This is exactly what happened to me.  Though over 60+ hives.  No one else seemed to have any issues and I knew for sure there was a negative relationship between ox staples and cells.

Possibly a late summer/autumn issue.  If anyone else placed cells to requeen/split at the same time as Ox staples please share.... 

What we generally do when splitting/ making nucs etc is hold fire with varroa treatements until after the queen has started laying.  Saves a bit of money , eh.

• Good Info 1

I headed out today to retreat all my hives starting with the furthest away and working my way toward home over 4 days

It didn't take long to realize I was wasting my time.
First site treated 5-3-19 

5-3-19   0/400     today 1/300

5-3-19   0/400      today  0/350

5-3-19   4/400      today 0/350

5-3-19    3/400     today 1/350

Second site treated 5-3-19

5-3-19   0/350     today 2/350 (end hive on line)

5-3-19  11/350    today 3/350

5-3-19   2/350    today 1/350

Third site treated 8-3-19, no counts done that day

today 0/350

today 0/350

today 0/350

I weighed up the cost benefit of opening all the Hives at this time of year and decided to flag it till Spring.
Most Staples were in good condition and will continue to work for a month yet.

These Hives are not subject to extreme re invasion pressure although there are almost certainly  spring swarms in the bush around the first two sites  

The third site with the zero counts is a pasture site.

• Like 4
  • Good Info 1

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

I headed out today to retreat all my hives starting with the furthest away and working my way toward home over 4 days

It didn't take long to realize I was wasting my time.
First site treated 5-3-19 

5-3-19   0/400     today 1/300

5-3-19   0/400      today  0/350

5-3-19   4/400      today 0/350

5-3-19    3/400     today 1/350

Second site treated 5-3-19

5-3-19   0/350     today 2/350 (end hive on line)

5-3-19  11/350    today 3/350

5-3-19   2/350    today 1/350

Third site treated 8-3-19, no counts done that day

today 0/350

today 0/350

today 0/350

I weighed up the cost benefit of opening all the Hives at this time of year and decided to flag it till Spring.
Most Staples were in good condition and will continue to work for a month yet.

These Hives are not subject to extreme re invasion pressure although there are almost certainly  spring swarms in the bush around the first two sites  

The third site with the zero counts is a pasture site.

That sounds good Phil ....    on that basis Plan B comes into play and   i'm closing the operation down here and  off to the bach for the winter.  Hallalujah .... just like the old days.

This seems to be the season of surveys.

These are interesting figures Phil , and got me thinking.  As we winter a yard down it would be interesting to have a hive condition score survey  as well. So we get a graph of the yard at the end which will show the overall status of the yard ..... 38 good ones, five queen failures, and five varroa's that will be DOA in August.

I guess this is all part of the research, for if we know that by placing all staples in hives by the end of february we can close the operation down on May 1st, like we always used to, all of a sudden we have an ability to trim costs - labour, fuel .....  and plan ahead for our slack time.

Just an on going thought as I put honey on toast and shrink my honey mountain before heading out the door.

• Like 6

On 25/03/2019 at 9:21 AM, nikki watts said:

I put staples into a apiary  over the weekend. They had the most varroa I’ve ever seen, in worker and drone brood cells, on bees and running across the frames. 

I put 4 staples in the bottom box and 3 in the top. 

Most hives  have 6-8 frames of sealed brood, which is all going to be sick and drag the hive health down down further. Dwv bees just beginning to emerge from cells but not many or none on the frames. Some hives had shaky bees all over the landing boards and pallets. 

A couple  of hives had 2-3 cups of dead bees piled up out front. 

So, my question is, will staples alone be enough to save these hives ??

Im thinking I may have to give a synthetic treatment in 3 weeks or so. And then staples all winter to give the hive populations a chance to recover. 

All the  hives have plenty of honey and pollen on board. 

Also thinking about requeening with cells incase  queens are now infected with viruses. 

@Philbee, I’m impressed !!!

I checked these hives and expected to find dead and dying hives.... i thought they were too far gone. 

they look great !!

The number of dead varroa on the tops of the frames and in the cells under the strips showed how high the mite load was. I tried to take photos but the bees were rushing in and removing the dead varroa too fast.

Two hives still have visible mites and dwv bees on the frames and bees numbers are clearly down.  I’ve treated them with bayvarol, shut the entrances right down and they will sink or swim.

The rest look clean and healthy, bees numbers are still good. The queens have slowed right down on brood and hives have heaps of pollen and stores. What brood there is looks healthy and well fed. 

Half the hives had the staples removed and bayvarol put in, in hindsight  I’m not sure we needed to use the bayvarol but will see if it makes any difference. 

Im a very happy beekeeper. 👍👍👍

• Like 7

tested 3 sites yesterday committed to Ox/Gib-  found 2 mites, that's it. 

These sites are also on a trail for protected cells, which were put in End of Feb.  Was a bit nervous considering the rubbish results from cell requeens + Ox/Gib. 

Total 5 sites or 100 odd hives in Ox/gib trail.  All were protected celled at same time.  A few obvious duds- at a guess 10% which is what I would expect- queenless or drone layers.

Also did a tally up, and I have too many hives.... last spring was great and I filled gear.... now to consider bringing some back some how. 

• Like 1

What we have been finding , treated 1st week March 

A8C90C9C-1B43-43EA-9D66-D54AC44D4C49.jpeg

• Like 8

All good but Ive been cautioning Beeks who have been calling me for help in the last 7 days

As the weather gets colder as it is on the central plateau Im nervous about adding Staples.
On frosty mornings Staples that are not well covered by Bees will absorb water and then drip out which stresses the Hive.
IMO the staples need to run into the cold not be added during the cold damp weather.
My advice has been that if Beeks want to treat now with Staples they do a small trial first and see how the Bees react

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

All good but Ive been cautioning Beeks who have been calling me for help in the last 7 days

As the weather gets colder as it is on the central plateau Im nervous about adding Staples.
On frosty mornings Staples that are not well covered by Bees will absorb water and then drip out which stresses the Hive.
IMO the staples need to run into the cold not be added during the cold damp weather.
My advice has been that if Beeks want to treat now with Staples they do a small trial first and see how the Bees react

During my trips around hives I have been moving strips in from the edges because of that observation. The outside strips were way out on honey frames less bees are out there and seemed softer = higher water content, they are now placed in the central brood/cluster area in a diamond orientation around the center 5 frames.

55 minutes ago, dansar said:

During my trips around hives I have been moving strips in from the edges because of that observation. The outside strips were way out on honey frames less bees are out there and seemed softer = higher water content, they are now placed in the central brood/cluster area in a diamond orientation around the center 5 frames.

Good move
That Glycerine is interesting stuff.

A few days ago I dropped a set of scales into a pail of Glycerine and even though I cleaned them up really well, every morning the scales are covered in water droplets.

3 hours ago, dansar said:

The outside strips were way out on honey frames less bees are out there 

"Fewer " bees please. I shouldn't have to point that out to a staffer.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

My bees had no problem with the strips .

The queen has layed under them .

No dead bees , even in my strong hive where there was a concern it might be too much .

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

"Fewer " bees please. I shouldn't have to point that out to a staffer.

By golly gosh your not wrong I didnt wrote that sentence right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

My bees had no problem with the strips .

The queen has layed under them .

No dead bees , even in my strong hive where there was a concern it might be too much .

Good healthy Hives dont miss a beat but not all hives are as good as they look and sometimes the stars line up for an unfortunate result.

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Good healthy Hives dont miss a beat but not all hives are as good as they look and sometimes the stars line up for an unfortunate result.

I think despite the difficult environmental conditions I have here I do not have all the disease problems other beeks have .

There is only ever me and two other beeks here . Both of those guys are are experienced professional operations.

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think despite the difficult environmental conditions I have here I do not have all the disease problems other beeks have .

There is only ever me and two other beeks here . Both of those guys are are experienced professional operations.

Aah ... Yesbutt .... it seems that the hive has taken a hammering.   Just saying.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Aah ... Yesbutt .... it seems that the hive has taken a hammering.   Just saying.

True , but it wasnt disease it was my bad management .

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

True , but it wasnt disease it was my bad management .

ok ... real mama.

8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I do not have all the disease problems other beeks have .

Don’t be fooled Kaihoka... experienced professional operations still deal with disease.. and bees can still swarm..  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Don’t be fooled Kaihoka... experienced professional operations still deal with disease.. and bees can still swarm..  

That is true .

But when I read on the forum about all the experiences people have with cow boy operations I am grateful we have decent operators around us .

I wish they did swarm more . I check their sites regularly .

I think cause they do not arrive till after kiwi fruit pollination swarming is nearly over .

Went out today and washed a few  hives that were outside of my current efficacy trial.

They were all good but this one was the best

outside of trial hive.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I wish they did swarm more . I check their sites regularly .

I think cause they do not arrive till after kiwi fruit pollination swarming is nearly over .

I’m always amazed with our southwestland bees, they swarm like crazy sometimes entire sites have gone.. I take a stroll into the rainforest for a nosey but they just vanish.. 

extremely strong intense flows with off on weather, see ya later.. 

we run them as double FD brood. 

Its a complete different ball game to east coast permanents. Always a treat to spend a few days in the bush working those thumpers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I’m always amazed with our southwestland bees, they swarm like crazy sometimes entire sites have gone.. I take a stroll into the rainforest for a nosey but they just vanish.. 

extremely strong intense flows with off on weather, see ya later.. 

we run them as double FD brood. 

Its a complete different ball game to east coast permanents. Always a treat to spend a few days in the bush working those thumpers. 

I am very lucky to catch a swarm here .

They head for the highest rata normally .

Can not see don using 5 ladders to catch one of my swarms .:4_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 19/04/2019 at 10:51 AM, Philbee said:

I've just joined the staples brigade.  Been following this thread for a while and talking to others in the local bee club who are converts.  Only two strong 2 FD brood hives that have had Apivar and Bayvarol treatments for years.  I take honey off late in the season so my autumn treatments start late.  Put strips in 3 per box. Washed 98/225 pre treatment (but no obvious signs of DWV or other problems) so will definitely look for improvement and Nikki's experience here has given me cause for hope.

On 19/04/2019 at 8:59 AM, nikki watts said:

Im a very happy beekeeper. 👍👍👍

When should I do my next wash to check?

I have one Hive doctor base and one SS mesh floor.  There is seepage from the HDoctor base, so thinking staples have absorbed water and are dripping, and it's not really cold here yet. Thoughts/recommended actions?