ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

5 hours ago, cBank said:

I couldn’t find the answer here to the below: Possibly not an important detail but I have no lab or chemical training - how are people mixing the Oa?

I mix them together cold then stir while heating. Is this the best way? The image posted a while back of a face mask covered in Oa is what I’m keen to avoid.

Starting from cold means you only need to warm it enough to get the OA dissolved and no more. Provided you stay vigilant, it introduces a degree of safety. 

• Like 1

I heat the Glycerine to 60deg C on the stove in a stainless steel pot. Take it out to the shed and drop in the Oa. It dissolves immediately then I pour the clear solution into a deep plastic tray. No fumes gloves on, safety glasses on, apron on, never thought to try to heat the whole solution.  I suppose it works every which way, it’s so easy to work with in comparison with other organics like Formic or vapourised Oa

Edited by Oma
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

I dump my oa into a pyrex jug of cold gly and heat it incrementally in the microwave until the oa stirrs in...no nastiness.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I now warm the GL and put all the OA in and dont stir.
Leave to reach thermostat temp of 70 deg C

Stir then let reach 75deg C stop heat

Avoid stirring above 75 Deg C or risk foaming

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

How bad is my mixture? I heated mine too much and it was foaming while stirring. Did I make FA and now became more toxic than useful?

Can I still use it? Staples and in, soaking.

A few questions for those who have used OA/Gl:

-  There was some talk of OA/Gl affecting Spring build-up.  Did anyone experience that?

-  How have others who have used OA/Gl found their honey production levels this year compared to other years?   

48 minutes ago, CraBee said:

-  There was some talk of OA/Gl affecting Spring build-up.  Did anyone experience that?

-  How have others who have used OA/Gl found their honey production levels this year compared to other years?   

Zero effect for me on spring buildup. I have noticed a substantial effect when using formic acid, depending on timing.

Haven’t decided yet on the answer to your second question - I have some data on this but need to analyse it a bit harder.  Cheers

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Yes 

In the hives where the queen won’t lay under the staples , or go past to lay on the other side , the staple forms a bridge, or barrier , and confines the queen to one end of the frames . This certainly affects build up .

For this reason , at this time I move the staples to the ends of the frames and all returns to normal , quite quickly 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 3

On 13/02/2019 at 5:09 PM, yesbut said:

I dump my oa into a pyrex jug of cold gly and heat it incrementally in the microwave until the oa stirrs in...no nastiness.

exactly what I did. I never exceded 50C

11 hours ago, CraBee said:

I have more Honey than I know what to do with

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CraBee said:

i don’t think you could work that out unless you did a proper trial.

too many variables year on year to know if a honey crop is better or worse because of staples.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/02/2019 at 5:09 PM, yesbut said:

I chuck it all in a large tupperware container to microwave. Then I just shake it with the lid on tight to mix it.

Minimal risk of contacting the stuff.

So one staff is complaining of being affected by OA strips,  I have never had a problem.  Head aches, cant get to sleep.  But then I'm the boss and made the decision to change.  Can other tell me if they or their staff are affected by fumes.  I also say dont breathe over it or breathe it in..  

What sort of gloves do people wear when putting the strips in the hives.

I use double nitrile gloves. 

If fumes are causing a problem you may need to  provide PPE by way of a respirator?

3 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

So one staff is complaining of being affected by OA strips,  I have never had a problem.  Head aches, cant get to sleep.  But then I'm the boss and made the decision to change.  Can other tell me if they or their staff are affected by fumes.  I also say dont breathe over it or breathe it in..  

What sort of gloves do people wear when putting the strips in the hives.

No gloves for me.  My helpers have worn gloves and the OA has worn through them...they have rubber gloves now.

There are no real fumes from the OA/Gly staples.  Neither me or my helpers have even had the hint of being affected by them this way.  Formic acid...well that's another story.

I guess different people could react differently to the Ox/Gly - perhaps thats the case here?

Neither of us have any problems with fumes.

They have a faint smell but I don’t stick my head in the bucket. 

• Haha 1

good to read the various ways people are creating the OA/GL mixture, hopefuly get mine done and ready to go in shortly

• Agree 1

@CraBee i had the same issue as M4tt with a big split down the middle of an otherwise perfect brood oval. In almost every hive. Shifted them to the edges and all is right with the world. Just put in new strips right through the middle and the same thin is happening. Doesn’t matter if i slide them in or hang them over a frame then slide into position. I checked one day after insertion this time and they have killed a strip of brood at all stages 😢

i use nitrile gloves for application. 

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

On 16/02/2019 at 9:40 AM, CraBee said:

I have a story.

Back in mid September I posted a pic of a 5 box overwintered Hive that overwintered with 20 staples in it.

Mid September I replaced the 20 overwintered Staples with 20m new ones and then some time in November I cramed the queen down into a double Brood nest with a Queen Excluder  and put 20 new ones in.
Then I walked away to make Staples, almost half a million of them.
Ive been becoming increasingly anxious about getting back to treat my Hives as I know the Varroa will be building up.

So today I started my summer rounds, the first round of the season.

Thats 3 months without opening a Production Hive, tested a few test hives on my Queen Block, 1000 Ha.
I knew id be ok but also knew I was cutting it fine, pushing the envelope.

Right now Im sipping a Bourbon and very happy.

However this post is about that big Hive with the 20 Staples.
Today I opened it up

Two very good Brood boxes and 3 boxes full to bursting with Honey and a Mite count of 2 for a 350-400 bee Alc wash.

So in went another 20 staples.

This is a trial hive and will be used to test residues.

The only reason this hive didnt make 4 or more boxes of Honey is that I only gave it 3 honey boxes and in my view this settles the question of OA affecting production

Whats more almost every hive I cracked today had filled  all it's honey supers.
Today I treated and put all the honey back on which was a a lot more enjoyable than watching sewing machines for sure.

OA/GL does not affect Honey Production

The photo is of a brood frame from the big hive and is typical of the day.
The Queens are slowing down as there is little forage 2071777533_big20hive.thumb.jpg.62d2ea42529f38c771efc6f1ee2bb312.jpg

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Nice story!

Nice Bourbon also

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I have a story.

Back in mid September I posted a pic of a 5 box overwintered Hive that overwintered with 20 staples in it.

Mid September I replaced the 20 overwintered Staples with 20m new ones and then some time in November I cramed the queen down into a double Brood nest with a Queen Excluder  and put 20 new ones in.
Ive been becoming increasingly anxious about getting back to treat my Hives as I know the Varroa will be building up.

Thats 3 months without opening a Production Hive, tested a few test hives on my Queen Block, 1000 Ha.

Today I opened it up

Two very good Brood boxes and 3 boxes full to bursting with Honey and a Mite count of 2 for a 350-400 bee Alc wash.

The only reason this hive didnt make 4 or more boxes of Honey is that I only gave it 3 honey boxes and in my view this settles the question of OA affecting production

Today I treated and put all the honey back on which was a a lot more enjoyable than watching sewing machines for sure.

The Queens are slowing down as there is little forage 2071777533_big20hive.thumb.jpg.62d2ea42529f38c771efc6f1ee2bb312.jpg

Ahhh Taupo the land of the long flow 😁

20 minutes ago, dansar said:

Ahhh Taupo the land of the long flow 😁

Its over now but for some thistles and Koromiko although I did see some determined Clover today well south

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

I have a story.

Today I opened it up

We know Ox/Gly nails the mites.  But their use has not been subject to scientific trials as per the

commercial strips.  

So I think we still need to have an open mind (and ongoing discussion) about what we are seeing

When I posted this topic I wasn't making a call either way.  In fact I'd have thought we should 

be seeing increased production on the back of better mite control over Summer.  As for Spring

build-up my Spring this year wasn't as strong s the previous Spring.  I had staples in this most

recent Spring and my own cardboard version the previous Spring.  But the Spring build-up can 

be affected by a whole lot of things eg how old are the Queens 6mo or 18 months...etc so that

it why I put it put there.

Its a fact that many Beeks saw a Spring Check and also a fact that some experienced Beeks did not.

It will be interesting to see if those who saw it this spring see it again next spring.
As for me, I dont see anything obvious.
What I do see is a lot of Hives full of Honey and healthy Bees that have had minimal work and only OA/GL.
A number of times an issue will arise involving a high Mite count or some other Hive issue and I will drop everything and spend hours out at my trial Block looking at hives only to realize, Hey just a minute, these Hives are all two year veterans of OA and if there was a serious issue they would be mostly dead, yet they are not

• Like 1
  • Agree 2