Philbee

Exclusive Commercial Forum.

Bush blend is now around $16.50/kg so I am told

Is that good ?

Way more than the 8 bucks I got offered I'm either too trusting or a bad negotiator or both!

• Like 1

Its seasons like this that you have to be strong in your negotiations with honey buyers. They all know the season has been bad and producers will be pushed for funds.

They will be on the hunt for easy pickings and will be making low ball offers to start with on the chance they can make a killing out of our sweat and tears.

Backward thinking to me, though it does seem to be a corporate way of thinking.

It's also part of the 'no ########s' rule, if someone is going to try and take advantage of me then I will take my business elsewhere.

Especially because I am young, female and used to people assuming things about me.

I have a product that people want to buy, and I would love to sell it for a price that's fair for everyone, when I think about how much I have put in to those drums.

And I would love to sell it to someone who has an understanding of how hard I work for that honey.

If people try to low ball me I will be deeply offended and I will never forget it.

Ill be down 70% probably.

I'm sorry to hear that Tony, been pretty rugged out there this year, at least we get another go next year.

I'm at about 50% and while it's not ideal, like you say, it could certainly be worse.

Unfortunately I'll now need to spend winter hunting to put food on the table :D

God I might have to get a job :confused:

:rofl: I hardly buy meat as it is.

No extravagant holidays for us huh

I agree Daley, if you got half then you did well.

I had some some poor hives as well.

It was the clover that saved my Butt and having sites that didn't dry out.

I had clover sites that didn't dry out.

It just wasn't a good year.

That's just how it is.

If I'd split my hives like I'd wanted to I would've been a lot worse off, poor early spring, slow start, colder temps, dud flowering.

I think there will be very few people who had a good year, but that's all part of it.

Daley, did you know that you post in the most beautiful blank verse ?

Quite terse, taut, punchy and communicates so well.

Maybe that's the job up your sleeve ...

• Like 2

Daley, did you know that you post in the most beautiful blank verse ?

Quite terse, taut, punchy and communicates so well.

Maybe that's the job up your sleeve ...

Probably because I edit them all about 20 times :lol

But thank you :D

• Like 3

Probably because I edit them all about 20 times :lol

But thank you :D

and modest as well.

Everyone wanted to marry Emissary but you would be the prize catch IMHO

Hmm

Im not sure that this "da man " thing is relevant or accurate.

The fact that you are perpetuating it only detracts from the validity of your points IMO, which I see as a shame.

The posted photos were posted ,albeit in the wrong thread, by request of James who made the comment, "Photos or it didn't happen".

Im not "da man", Im just a commercial beek and arnt afraid of some friendly banter with my peers, even vastly superior ones like James for example.

Im all for helping people and dont feel the need to elaborate on this aspect of my life but a line needs to be drawn and whats more that line needs to be respected by beginners.

It is a matter of respect yet often enough comes across as an expectation.

Im not going anywhere with it.

Its an opinion that is up for discussion, thats all

Whoa there ,,, don't bring me into the argument. I just sitting on the sidelines watching. I lost my post about learning from Phils's beekeeping methods and will have to rewrite at some stage.

Like he said , the plan is to get honey off and into a drum and bees wintered down.

I'm at about 50% and while it's not ideal, like you say, it could certainly be worse.

Unfortunately I'll now need to spend winter hunting to put food on the table :D

pretty good hunting at Pak'N'Save.

God I might have to get a job :confused:

:rofl: I hardly buy meat as it is.

No extravagant holidays for us huh

Yeah I hear ya - maybe we'll both have to change our category to semi-commercial for winter. I wonder if we'll still be allowed to post in the "exclusive commercial forum" if we have winter jobs elsewhere?

And yes, it looks like the whole tropical island thing gets put off for another year - again.

• Like 1

In a difficult year will commercials be more inclined to strip all the honey off their hives and feed sugar, which is cheaper.

I saw the beek migrants in our area heading out towards their hives with empty trucks except for 20 litre containers.

Are there any implications for hive health in doing that or does it not matter to the bees.

In a difficult year will commercials be more inclined to strip all the honey off their hives and feed sugar, which is cheaper.

I saw the beek migrants in our area heading out towards their hives with empty trucks except for 20 litre containers.

Are there any implications for hive health in doing that or does it not matter to the bees.

Commercials have been doing that for many years.

Most of them will.

I don't feed at all unless I've made a mistake and my hives are going to starve.

To be honest this season their hives may not have even made stores for winter or done very much at all and they may be having to feed when usually they wouldn't have to, I've had some splits that have been pretty low without me taking anything.

Not all of them :D

• Like 1

So just wondering why is the word exclusive in front of the words commercial, topbar and hobbyist when its obviously not exclusive.

Wouldnt it turn some newbees away from posting?

pretty good hunting at Pak'N'Save.

Last time I tried to take my gun in there they called the cops.

I really don't enjoy meat that's been killed at an abattoir, I reckon you can taste the stress.

I'm on the venison and kingfish diet and it's considerably cheaper than the paknsave diet, I avoid that place like the plague, can't get out the door without spending hundreds.. too much of a hungry snack hippo

Last time I tried to take my gun in there they called the cops.

I really don't enjoy meat that's been killed at an abattoir, I reckon you can taste the stress.

I'm on the venison and kingfish diet and it's considerably cheaper than the paknsave diet, I avoid that place like the plague, can't get out the door without spending hundreds.. too much of a hungry snack hippo

It's a good job you are still young and skinny then

It

it's tempting to grab all the honey, but i think we'll be wise virgins and leave a box for the bees so we can sleep easy during the winter

• Like 1

Me, I'm pouring the sugar in right now. A number of hives are going backwards and have nowhere near enough for winter, and now is the time to fix it.

Some other apiaries have a reasonable amount coming in now, I guess will be honey dew and some sites koromiko.

This is fun @Rob Stockley , we've managed to diverge from the OP again, do you want to split off another topic on sugar feeding :mask:

• Like 1

This is fun @Rob Stockley , we've managed to diverge from the OP again, do you want to split off another topic on sugar feeding :mask:

Point well made @Pinnacle. This thread has run its course. Super secret commercial feeding may be discussed in the new forum Commercial Comms

Topic closed