Philbee

Exclusive Commercial Forum.

Lets build a wall, keep them out. Where have i heard that?

Honestly the barriers to entry in this game a very low. Stop looking at them and focus on how you develop your product ahead of the game. Most commercials are still selling logs to China. What can you do to upsell and increase the value of your end product, thats entrepreneur, not the follower.

@Gavin Smith you've just persuaded me, time to lead. Pre kids my wife and I lived out at Waiheke in 97 and 98. We're moving back! Coming soon to a Pohutukawa tree near you.

@Gavin Smith you've just persuaded me, time to lead. Pre kids my wife and I lived out at Waiheke in 97 and 98. We're moving back! Coming soon to a Pohutukawa tree near you.

hope your well healed mate, 2bdrms Blackpool 2.5m seriously :rofl:

hope your well healed mate, 2bdrms Blackpool 2.5m seriously :rofl:

Its out of control. We leased a house right out on a point at the far Western end of Palm Beach. I think it was $400/wk, and the property had been bought recently by the Owner for $600,000. It is a killer spot, average sort of house, would be something like $4m now I'd guess. Here it is, the house to the right of number 69 (yip they got the swimming pool) Google Maps

Oh well, back to reality....

Its not the idle chatter or gossip that I see as an issue.

Its the truths that can do damage.

We dont see other industries laying bare their affairs in the same way that this industry does.

it's always interesting when an industry doesn't want honesty or facts in the public domain - understandably i guess

kinda like water quality and dairying

or numerous other examples

Im now certain that there are a lot of Beeks out there that sit back and soak up knowledge from this site yet contribute little, possibly even have little to contribute

i played online poker as my sole source of income for a number of years

there was a lot of discussion about public provision of information via forums etc that would enable hard-learned skill to be picked up easily by others

the discussion was correct, online poker as a profession is now effectively dead.

i understand your concern.

• Like 1

Surely the enemy here isn't the other forum people we are all so passionate about bees enough so to join and learn more. TO me it's the media the values they put on things honey and hives someone with no knowledge or passion is like "that much $$ eh? Heck I know where some hives are down the road I'll jus go take them"

Surely the enemy here isn't the other forum people we are all so passionate about bees enough so to join and learn more. TO me it's the media the values they put on things honey and hives someone with no knowledge or passion is like "that much $$ eh? Heck I know where some hives are down the road I'll jus go take them"

You can't blame people for wondering about how much profit there is in bees when they see honey going up in price to the point where they can't afford it. And you can't blame the media - they just report what they are told.

It's businessmen, banks, accountants etc who want to put a price on everything but know the value of nothing. And they are the ones who make money whether honey prices go up or down.

And you can't blame the media - they just report what they are told.

Sorry that made me smile being the cynic I am, bar a few genuine journalists, the media either writes what they consider to be popular by their readership and make money on the attached advertising or are paid to write certain content.

Yes.

There's quite a few hobbyists I've learned from and whose opinions I value, on a whole range of topics.

If the fear is that a hobbyist expressing an opinion on a chat site is going to shake the worldwide price of honey, it should be remembered that a percentage of what is said on chat sites is rubbish and any sensible person will sift the wheat from the chaff. Garbage is spoken in every forum, I recall some shonky info being given by a new inexperienced beekeeper on topics like feeding candy, queen breeding, and others, it happens, that's the internet.

someone%20wrong%20on%20internet_zpsiqwko20v.jpg

Thanks @Alastair . Needed a good chuckle. I recall that shonky info as well.

Sun & doesn't matter which direction

Is how we newbees learn from peoples superior knowledge.so do I put my hives in shade or direct sun or which way do I face my hive when I get it lol

It does not matter which way they face, so whatever is best for your viewing or whatever. Place them in a location with the most sun possible, Specially afternoon sun.

Is how we newbees learn from peoples superior knowledge.so do I put my hives in shade or direct sun or which way do I face my hive when I get it lol

But what does this have to do with whether we have a commercial forum or not?

What I would say to this is that I was lucky as a young guy to start beekeeping with a very knowledgeable beekeeper who was more than happy to share everything he knew.

One man chose to teach you, not every tom dick and Harry as well.

I now laugh when I recall being referred to as a inexperienced wannabe beek.

What a joke.

Today I inspected a hundred or more 50-100kg yield hives and increased my mating nucs to 250.

I have about 1000-1200 boxes out and have learned the majority of my beekeeping skills the hard way.

Frazzle has shared info that I appreciate and one day she will be paid back.

What are you going to dine out on next?

The fact is that Commercial beeks would benefit from a forum where they can exchange ideas and info

The fact is that Commercial beeks would benefit from a forum where they can exchange ideas and info

There're none so blind....

• Like 1

Well you've made me think Philbee, maybe there is a call for a section where confidential business matters could be discussed. EOD that is for the site owner to decide.

But making discussion about bees confidential? Kinda goes against the principles of an internet chat site doesn't it?

So making the Commercial section confidential, confidential to who? How would a new up and coming person join this club? My biggest issue with the entire Commercial section being confidential is i've been around long enough to have met quite a few folks who think they know some special thing about bees that nobody else knows, and invariably they don't. EOD that would be for the site owner to decide also.

You say I was taught by one guy? No, I've been taught by every Tom Dick and Harry I'll learn from anyone. This site has been a great source of knowledge for me too, as it has been for you.

Wannabee. Are you implying I called someone that? I may be a pretty nasty guy, but not THAT nasty I would not directly say that to someone. I have been known to occasionally wonder aloud about the status of some self proclaimed experts ;).

• Like 3

Agree, frazzle rules :bee:

Yeah nah ... common guys ... Bee keeping isn't rocket science . YOUNG QUEENS, PLENTY OF FEED .... sorry mods for the capitals but that is an emphasis.

After that you need some good sites. A mediocre bee keeper can make an average wage in a good place. A good beekeeper will go broke in a bad location. read what you like into being a good beekeeper who appreciates that timing is everything and being in the right place at the right time ..... Aka Philbee with 50 to 100 ks per hive. he is obviously Da Man !

So .... you need young queens, don't skimp on the tucker and find a nice place for them. The rest is up to the weather and the good Lord .... or maybe just plain ole' lady luck.

In my quest for a young Queen today I grabbed an old Queen by the head, squeezed, and turfed her off into the bushes. I got around the hives and got back near the beginning and there in a tree was what looked like a swarm. I thought that is very strange I've been around the hives and there is no sign of swarming, although one hive had a Virgin in it. I wandered over and dislodged the bunch of bees onto a frame, and poked around a bit looking for a Queen. The bees were fanning like crazy, and acting all mellow like a swarm and landing on me, so I thought geez it must be a swarm. I then spied a ball of bees on the ground and after poking around there was a Queen - the dead one I'd turfed into the bushes earlier. I dispatched her into my pocket and hopefully the bees finished mourning, went home, and got to work getting ready for their new Q to emerge.

• Like 3

Yeah nah ... common guys ... Bee keeping isn't rocket science . YOUNG QUEENS, PLENTY OF FEED .... sorry mods for the capitals but that is an emphasis.

After that you need some good sites. A mediocre bee keeper can make an average wage in a good place. A good beekeeper will go broke in a bad location. read what you like into being a good beekeeper who appreciates that timing is everything and being in the right place at the right time ..... Aka Philbee with 50 to 100 ks per hive. he is obviously Da Man !

So .... you need young queens, don't skimp on the tucker and find a nice place for them. The rest is up to the weather and the good Lord .... or maybe just plain ole' lady luck.

5992ebb18ec75_Goodhivepoorseason.jpg.69177041372dcd0103260efb94c45bb5.jpg

Here's those pics I promised. These hives are Full.

Treated mid flow and again today.

Leaving honey on for the rest of the flow (2 weeks)

Most boxes had bare plastic frames.

These are not the best either, I have one that is bigger and heaps of solid 4 boxes of Honey.

Anyone got a big Manuka block they want to team up on

5992ebb18a2fd_Good100kgyieldhive.jpg.92f5bbf695821f1e4330d1ba58fa03f8.jpg

5992ebb18a2fd_Good100kgyieldhive.jpg.92f5bbf695821f1e4330d1ba58fa03f8.jpg

5992ebb18ec75_Goodhivepoorseason.jpg.69177041372dcd0103260efb94c45bb5.jpg

• Like 2

Too many horror stories about joint efforts/ventures I reckon. I expect some do work .......

Phil I think an exclusive (club) on this site would be detrimental to the whole site. There is plenty of opportunity for private conversation whenever with whoever without that.

Have you considered your own forum? I wonder what the costs of that would be? One could pick and choose the participants at will then

A nagging thought just keeps occurring to me.....one manages to acquire the knowledge (& help) then just can't help but want to limit others access to the same for commercial advantage/self interest.......bad thought, must stop that!

Oh! Nice hives @Philbee!

• Like 2

Nice Phil .... that's one more box than I got !

Too many horror stories about joint efforts/ventures I reckon. I expect some do work .......

Phil I think an exclusive (club) on this site would be detrimental to the whole site. There is plenty of opportunity for private conversation whenever with whoever without that.

Have you considered your own forum? I wonder what the costs of that would be? One could pick and choose the participants at will then

A nagging thought just keeps occurring to me.....one manages to acquire the knowledge (& help) then just can't help but want to limit others access to the same for commercial advantage/self interest.......bad thought, must stop that!

Oh! Nice hives @Philbee!

You have some valid points there Ali.

However at the end of the day its up to the individual to decide what they post.