Philbee

Exclusive Commercial Forum.

We can only be responsible for our own actions.

On a number of levels, even in law, that statement is incorrect

Also

In life people seek out their Peers to discuss things with.

It is sometimes preferable that individuals can share ideas and knowledge with Peers.

This is fundamental in Society, and in Business.

I should add that these ideas that Im putting forward must be subject to balance and in my personal view the current balance ( imbalance) is ever so slightly left of center.

Is it reasonable that Non commercial Beeks should be able to post in a Commercial forum?
Yes.

There's quite a few hobbyists I've learned from and whose opinions I value, on a whole range of topics.

If the fear is that a hobbyist expressing an opinion on a chat site is going to shake the worldwide price of honey, it should be remembered that a percentage of what is said on chat sites is rubbish and any sensible person will sift the wheat from the chaff. Garbage is spoken in every forum, I recall some shonky info being given by a new inexperienced beekeeper on topics like feeding candy, queen breeding, and others, it happens, that's the internet.

someone%20wrong%20on%20internet_zpsiqwko20v.jpg

• Like 1

On a number of levels, even in law, that statement is incorrect

Also

In life people seek out their Peers to discuss things with.

It is sometimes preferable that individuals can share ideas and knowledge with Peers.

This is fundamental in Society, and in Business.

I should add that these ideas that Im putting forward must be subject to balance and in my personal view the current balance ( imbalance) is ever so slightly left of center.

All very well when there is a law, but when it comes to bees often there is no law, and if I don't like where someone has put their hives there's stuff all I can do about it.

Wether I'm on a commercial only forum or an everyone forum, I'm not going to say anything different.

This is public forum on the internet, there should be a certain amount of sharing, but we are also competitors, especially these days when it comes to sites. And you don't know the intentions of anyone reading.

I saw somewhere else @Philbee you had made a comment about how there can be too many beekeepers, sharing is likely to encourage more people to come on board, so I will be selective who I share with.

I have an interest in Comvita. That must make me a commercial. There must be lots I know the rest of you hobbyist plebs don't. I'd better watch my mouth.

I saw somewhere else @Philbee you had made a comment about how there can be too many beekeepers, sharing is likely to encourage more people to come on board, so I will be selective who I share with.

You always have good points Daley

Its not the idle chatter or gossip that I see as an issue.

Its the truths that can do damage.

We dont see other industries laying bare their affairs in the same way that this industry does.

This is a forum. One doesn't have to spend long reading here to know who the knowledgeable people are - regardless whether they are hobbyist or commercial.... or other. There are gems on here that we can all extract, and they don't necessarily come from one camp or another. But some times there's a lot of reading needed to extract them.

Maybe the "Good Info" flag could/should be used more and then have a "Good Info" filter toggle to show only those posts that have been marked as such.

Do other primary or professional industries stand by and allow those within their ranks to talk their industry value down?

I'm afraid I'm not bright enough to imagine how this could impact a beek's financial well being ? Can you give an example, even hypothetical please ?

• Like 1

Its not the idle chatter or gossip that I see as an issue.

Its the truths that can do damage.

We dont see other industries laying bare their affairs in the same way that this industry does.

While it's not on a website, kiwifruit growers share a lot more....

I personally do not think amateur beekeepers are any threat to commercials except for the possibility of their untreated and abandoned diseased hives within flying distance. In my case I inspect the amateur hives nearby, should I see any containing AFB I take the appropriate action and solve the problem there and then.

In my case I inspect the amateur hives nearby, should I see any containing AFB I take the appropriate action and solve the problem there and then.

What, Are you suggesting that you just go into other beekeepers hives and then destroy them )if infected) without the owners permission.

Did I read this post wrong. If so my apologies.

It's Australia. He may not live long around here. ;)

It's Australia. He may not live long around here. ;)

That is what I was thinking.

• Like 1

"It's Australia", we do have different rules governing beekeeping here. All beekeepers must register and fire brand their hives with a brand "number/letter", granted by the Dept of Agriculture. It is illegal to keep diseased hives period. It is illegal to keep and to abandon unbranded hives in the bush, whether private property or Government property (crown land).

Commercial beekeepers usually place their bees on registered sites (on crown land) or on private land with the owners consent. The general rule is that private landholders give the commercial or amateur exclusive rights to one beekeeper at a time. Unbranded hives have no legal rights here in WA. It is fair game to put a cup of petrol into an unbranded & diseased hive and close up the entrances to prevent the spread of AFB, and if it is safe to do so, a match will complete the exercise.

Hives that are branded and appear to contain AFB, can be/must be reported, and the owners are traced by the Dept of Agriculture, a work order is given immediately and must be complied with or else the Dept will do the job of eradication and the cost passed on to the owner. ( a very costly exercise)

• Like 2

I personally do not think amateur beekeepers are any threat to commercials except for the possibility of their untreated and abandoned diseased hives within flying distance.

Eh? So that statement indicates Aussie commercials are perfect and always treat correctly and never abandon their hives, whilst it's only hobbyists that spread disease.

What a crock.

While it's not on a website,

In a nutshell

I have an interest in Comvita. That must make me a commercial. There must be lots I know the rest of you hobbyist plebs don't. I'd better watch my mouth.

It makes you a Corporate Cat

It is fair game to put a cup of petrol into an unbranded & diseased hive and close up the entrances to prevent the spread of AFB, and if it is safe to do so, a match will complete the exercise

Pretty imflammable comments @Dennis C Earnshaw if you'll pardon the pun.

The way this is written implies that you would enter private property to do this if you saw unbranded hives and light fires without the landowners consent, and that you would knowingly light fires on public land. Maybe it's vastly different in WA but when I lived in NSW either of these actions would have gotten you lynched. And the NSW Police would have prosecuted whatever remained.

Back on topic. I am pleased anyone can see this section. I am sure there are all those accountants and the like who think this is the new gold rush now viewing reality. Tell it like it is!

In a nutshell

It makes you a Corporate Cat

Or a group of producers who work together to help each other get the best value product to sell....

I'm afraid I'm not bright enough to imagine how this could impact a beek's financial well being ? Can you give an example, even hypothetical please ?

One of the layers to this issue relates to Commercial advantage.

I do business with a lot of new Beeks every month.

I sell them Queens and Hives.

What has really surprised me is the number of new start ups out there.

Almost all of them have Commercial aspirations and learning Queen breeding is often a high priority for them.

My attitude toward them as customers is, good on you and good luck.

Some will succeed and some wont.

I look back at my journey including the investment Ive made and think that if they are to succeed then they will almost certainly need to put in some hard yards as Ive done.

If they can do that then they will have earned their place in the industry.

With this in mind I am now more careful about how much information I divulge about Queen breeding.

Keeping Bees, well that a different story, its in all our interests to see that others are well informed in that regard.

Im now certain that there are a lot of Beeks out there that sit back and soak up knowledge from this site yet contribute little, possibly even have little to contribute

• Like 3

Im now certain that there are a lot of Beeks out there that sit back and soak up knowledge from this site yet contribute little, possibly even have little to contribute

Yup, They could at least post significant amounts of rubbish ;-)

Im now certain that there are a lot of Beeks out there that sit back and soak up knowledge from this site yet contribute little,

The knowledge that you & every other poster divulge voluntarily, no waterboarding, so what's the gripe ?

The knowledge that you & every other poster divulge voluntarily, no waterboarding, so what's the gripe ?

Yes you are absolutely correct Pink Cat.

Its been a learning experience of sorts.

Lets build a wall, keep them out. Where have i heard that?

Honestly the barriers to entry in this game a very low. Stop looking at them and focus on how you develop your product ahead of the game. Most commercials are still selling logs to China. What can you do to upsell and increase the value of your end product, thats entrepreneur, not the follower.

• Like 3