Philbee

Exclusive Commercial Forum.

Is it reasonable that Non commercial Beeks should be able to post in a Commercial forum?

How often have Beginners and or Hobbyist openly questioned high Honey prices or industry integrity?

Is it reasonable that a Non Stakeholder be able to do this?

Its when seasons like this roll along that Commercial Beeks absolutely need some profitable seasons behind them in order to stay afloat and go forward.

• Like 3

Is it reasonable that Non commercial Beeks should be able to post in a Commercial forum?

How often have Beginners and or Hobbyist openly questioned high Honey prices or industry integrity?

Its when seasons like this roll along that Commercial Beeks absolutely need some profitable seasons behind them in order to stay afloat and go forward.

What/who is a commercial beekeeper?

To me it is someone whose income is procured solely by beekeeping, but not everyone has the same definition, and people don't always tell the truth either.

Fortunately I still have some income from non bee sources.

i don't like people to be excluded. small groups that only listen to themselves have a nasty habit of turning sour.

its not a bad thing to have them question prices or ethics. it keeps us on our toes.

• Like 3

I agree with your sentiment @Philbee, but the community rejected it when it was implemented. I thought commercials would need or want their own area, where they could talk prices and bulk extraction without comments such as the ones you've highlighted, but apparently not. It was seen as excluding others.

You can always take a discussion offline via PM for small groups.

And don't be offended that I read the commercial posts. I have much to learn and you guys discuss some interesting stuff sometimes.

• Like 2

Although I would have very little to offer the commercial forum, I learn lots reading it.

• Like 3

Maybe commercial breaks could have a sub-forum for the more industry sensitive topics? Private/closed groups? Hiw NZbees policy considers this tho?

As a comm employee, hobbyist, and small beekeeping business, there are elements & contributions relevant as well as irrelevant to commercial forum. The forum has members from all walks of life, so on the whole it is encouraged that NZbees transprently welcomes contributions on all manner of topics from the spectrum of members.

I answer questions on the hobbyist forum and have no problem with hobbyists on the commercial forum. Some of them have some truly amazing knowledge. As a commercial beekeeper I have become more and more careful over the years how much information about my business I give out and it is refreshing to have people that don't have to worry about what someone else will do with the information.

• Like 2

You can always take a discussion offline via PM for small groups.

We wouldn't encourage that because then no one learns. Which is the whole point of the site.

The commercial/ beginner sections were visible to all but you could only post in one or the other. With a general section available for all to post in.

understand. but some good ideas come from beginners. doesnt matter what profession we are in.

I can understand @Philbee point of view commercial beekeepers talking to other commercial beekeepers without the hobby beekeepers putting their views across like when @Kiwifruiter puts his nose in but that what's makes this forum so good to read

What about when a commercial declares on their Profile they are a beginner (we have a few of them), does that exclude them from participating in the commercial section. What defines commercial, 50 hives, 100, 500, 1000 plus, Confusing. Or, what about if I declare myself commercial when I am clearly not (40 hives).

Excluding comments from different sections of the forum just gets very difficult.

• Like 2

I can understand @Philbee point of view commercial beekeepers talking to other commercial beekeepers without the hobby beekeepers putting their views across like when @Kiwifruiter puts his nose in but that what's makes this forum so good to read

A very well shapen nose at that.....

I work for a big commercial I own shares in a commercial company but I have 29 hives of my own some days I regard myself a Commercial other days I'm a hobbiest

• Like 2

If your keeping bees for profit then you are commercial. IMHO. So..... Im in!

I keep my bees for enjoyment I work for my boss for money

• Like 1

I thought commercials would need or want their own area, where they could talk prices and bulk extraction

things like that always tend to be done direct ie phone, face to face.

a forum is not the best place for it.

eg if someone wants extraction they may ask of the forum but dealings are best left off it.

i don't like people to be excluded. small groups that only listen to themselves have a nasty habit of turning sour.

its not a bad thing to have them question prices or ethics. it keeps us on our toes.

Do we need to be kept on our Toes?

To be honest most of the time I do not pay attention to what forum I am posting in.

I just reply to new posts that interest me.

It's only if I start a thread that I look at what forum to put it in

Another issue is with regard to opinions and statements that

What about when a commercial declares on their Profile they are a beginner (we have a few of them), does that exclude them from participating in the commercial section. What defines commercial, 50 hives, 100, 500, 1000 plus, Confusing. Or, what about if I declare myself commercial when I am clearly not (40 hives).

Excluding comments from different sections of the forum just gets very difficult.

Yes its all difficult.

A Commercial is someone who has a significant financial interest, is probably registered for GST and includes their Beekeeping income in their annual Tax return.

We wouldn't encourage that because then no one learns. Which is the whole point of the site.

Generally speaking I agree with you @Grant.

I was trying to highlight for @Philbee that he has the tool he wants at his disposal in the form of P.M.s for discussing commercially sensitive topics with a smaller group, without interruption from non-stakeholders. Personally I'd phone or go over and have a coffee/beer for that sort of thing, but if that's not available PM's are a valid communication tool.

And it doesn't detract from all the positive learning experiences I get off the commercial forum.

Now, where's the popcorn?

Do we need to be kept on our Toes?

always.

seen it to many times where if your not on your game you go backwoods and the rot sets in.

if your not being challenged you become complacent.

a comment from someone here that deals with a lot of beeks and finds older beeks worse than a lot of newbies.

• Like 1

I would hope that this tough season will remind those inclined to undersell the industry that we need to act with some discretion with regard to comments on financial matters.

Do other primary or professional industries stand by and allow those within their ranks to talk their industry value down?

We can only be responsible for our own actions.