Where is the worst place you've been stung?

Its probably a given that as a beekeper you've been stung at some point. But where is the worst place you've been stung?

I suppose I should clarify, "where" as in a body part, rather than "where" as in downtown Auckland. There is bound to be one of you that mentions it :rolleyes:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Not many places I haven't been stung over the years. My father tells me that the tongue is the worst . I haven't been stung their and for me the worst would be under the nose, especially the time I had a second sting in the same place about half an hour after the first. I have been stung on the _____ but under the noses is worse . John Berry

• Like 1

My daughter got stung on the tip of her nose too and, as she was moaning, I told her to "get over it, it's just a bee sting". Oups! My bad, she must have indeed suffered. O well, she'll toughen up. And sure as, if it happens to me, I'll be using my French!.. .

In the three seasons I have been beekeeping, I got half stung once only as a bee got tangled in my hair. Can't call that terrible, the worst is probably still to come.. .

My daughter got stung on the tip of her nose too and, as she was moaning, I told her to "get over it, it's just a bee sting". Oups! My bad, she must have indeed suffered. O well, she'll toughen up. And sure as, if it happens to me, I'll be using my French!.. .

Zut alors ;)

I'm a bit sick of being stung by bees attacking in the slits at the side of my bee suit. They are meant to be velcroed shut but they pop open when I'm bending down to the brood boxes. Anyway, today I sewed them shut and suited up. Only when I was working the hives did I realise my T-shirt had ridden up under the suit and I couldn't pull it down because I'd sewed up the slits. Three stings to the tummy area - next time I will wear a longer T-shirt.

• Like 1

LOL did you fall for that 'swarms are passive and cant sting you' BS as well then? Id just finished my third night shift, all I had was a squirty bottle with sugar syrup in it that didnt work properly, jeans and t-shirt. Ended up going straight back to work in the back of an ambulance.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

fresh swarms don't normally sting although if half the bees go down the neck of your open shirt you're bound to get a few.I hope none of you think I'm silly enough to have done such a thing, not too often anyway. Swarms that have hung in trees for a week can be exceedingly aggressive. Next time you get a fresh swarm give it a light smoke and then insert your hand slowly and gently into the swarm, it's an amazing sensation and it really impresses the locals

• Like 2
fresh swarms don't normally sting although if half the bees go down the neck of your open shirt you're bound to get a few.I hope none of you think I'm silly enough to have done such a thing, not too often anyway. Swarms that have hung in trees for a week can be exceedingly aggressive. Next time you get a fresh swarm give it a light smoke and then insert your hand slowly and gently into the swarm, it's an amazing sensation and it really impresses the locals

Hi John, how can you tell it's a 'fresh' swarm?

This is one I have to share.

In my first beekeeping year I was 'full of it'! No suit, no gloves!

So when I took the weedeater to clean up around my hives I had no concerns anything could happen. Behind the hives was fine, but when I came around to the front, all hell broke loose. A steamtrain of bees bees came out of one of the hives and after me. I leaped over the fence, goggles, helmet and weedeater went flying and I ran for the hills screaming and yelling for help. But I ain't fast enough. It would have been worth $10,000 on America's funniest Videos. In the end I threw myself in the grass, face down and covered with my arms as good as I could. I lay there till the punishment was over. I don't know how long I was lying still, enduring every sting. I looked like the Hunchback of Notredam! They got me 'everywhere'!

• Like 1

Im not allergic (I dont think) but after all those stings I did flake out on the floor for a wee bit, BP must have crashed or something. 15 minutes later I was fine. Is this normal? Since then Im in gloves, jacket, veil, jeans tucked into socks, gumboots. Every time, at my wifes insistence, so havent been stung again....

• Like 1
Im not allergic (I dont think) but after all those stings I did flake out on the floor for a wee bit, BP must have crashed or something. 15 minutes later I was fine. Is this normal? Since then Im in gloves, jacket, veil, jeans tucked into socks, gumboots. Every time, at my wifes insistence, so havent been stung again....

Hi Matt,

Me too! I even have a dedicated 1/2 suit I wear when weeding around my girls. Experience is a great 'teacher'!

Bee-poison is a great reminder that the 'girls' are only doing their job to defend their honey at all cost - attack is the best 'defense'!!!

Oh well, we are all learning, sometimes the hard way.

I would like to meet, I have a couple of hives in Massey and I am over there at least a couple of time per week.

Let me know.;)