Jump to content

FFC meeting

    

Community Calendar
tudor

Event details

The first season’s meeting was held on Saturday 4 July 2018

About 12 people attended.

1.  We discussed how are hives have been going through the winter, and this varied from hives doing well, to some people losing most or all of their hives.  The problems included serious wasp attack in autumn, and treating for varroa with oxalic acid sublimator.  As regards wasps, early trapping is important as it reduces the number of wasp queens, and accordingly the number of wasp colonies.  Finding and killing wasp nests will remain important, and I can provide and install Vespex once we have confirmed that the wasps are taking protein feed which is the lure for fipronil.  Please contact me for instructions in how to establish wasp vulnerability before using Vespex.
2  We then had a short practical session on assembling a wooden frame, or cleaning up if used already, wiring it up, and insertion of foundation.
3  We had a good conversation with Eric Johnson of bees supplies last week, and the providers of Bayvarol and Apivar (amitraz) are quite clear that there is no resistance to either.  The failures are probably due to wrong timing of use, especially in Autumn, and the method of insertion, which we will cover at our next meeting.
  Apivar (amitraz) will be used for Spring varroa control, and strips will be inserted in the third or fourth week of August.  The dose is 2 strips per brood box, and left in place for 12 weeks.  As the product is provided in packets of 10, we can provide broken pack amount to those with a number of hives which is not a multiple of 5.  Please contact us very soon so we can order the right amount of Apivar, cost is about $10 per treatment.
4 Moving hives – if you need help, just let us know and we can assist with a vehicle or trailer if needed
5 Next meeting Saturday 1 September at noon, the usual Spring agenda to be sent out soon
Regards,
Tudor and Clare

Remember, attendance is by invitation only, so send us an email if you wish to attend.


Recommended Comments

Hi  @tudor could you please elaborate on the 12 week treatment period stated for Apivar?

I believe that to to be a instruction deviation from the product description of 42 days. Although typically beekeepers in NZ would keep it in the hive for 6 weeks.

 

Thanks

Daniel

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, dansar said:

Hi  @tudor could you please elaborate on the 12 week treatment period stated for Apivar?

I believe that to to be a instruction deviation from the product description of 42 days. Although typically beekeepers in NZ would keep it in the hive for 6 weeks.

 

Thanks

Daniel

Hi @dansar,

I have a clear memory of 12 weeks being recommended on this forum.  Some internet searching reveals:  

Issued: September 2017 AN: 00031/2017 SUMMARY OF PRODUCT ...

www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/SPC.../SPC_1251888.DOC

"If brood is not present or at its lowest level, the strips can be removed after 6 weeks of treatment. If brood is present, leave the strips in place for 10 weeks and remove the strips at the end of treatment. "

 

And recommendations vary from country to country.

 

I would be grateful if others would check my "clear memory" and I will amend the 12 weeks to 10 weeks.

thanks very much.

  • Agree 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
12 hours ago, tudor said:

Hi @dansar,

I have a clear memory of 12 weeks being recommended on this forum.  Some internet searching reveals:  

Issued: September 2017 AN: 00031/2017 SUMMARY OF PRODUCT ...

www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/SPC.../SPC_1251888.DOC

"If brood is not present or at its lowest level, the strips can be removed after 6 weeks of treatment. If brood is present, leave the strips in place for 10 weeks and remove the strips at the end of treatment. "

 

And recommendations vary from country to country.

 

I would be grateful if others would check my "clear memory" and I will amend the 12 weeks to 10 weeks.

thanks very much.

That’s OK @tudor yes the longer treatment period has been used in NZ for a while now. Interestingly this is using it off label and therefore we are using it illegally. This all came about when it was first selected as a chemical to be used in NZ but no one was will to spend the money to go through the process to legally change the treatment period required in NZ.

  • Agree 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
23 hours ago, tudor said:

Hi @dansar,

I have a clear memory of 12 weeks being recommended on this forum.  Some internet searching reveals:  

Issued: September 2017 AN: 00031/2017 SUMMARY OF PRODUCT ...

www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/SPC.../SPC_1251888.DOC

"If brood is not present or at its lowest level, the strips can be removed after 6 weeks of treatment. If brood is present, leave the strips in place for 10 weeks and remove the strips at the end of treatment. "

 

And recommendations vary from country to country.

 

I would be grateful if others would check my "clear memory" and I will amend the 12 weeks to 10 weeks.

thanks very much.

That’s OK @tudor yes the longer treatment period has been used in NZ for a while now. Interestingly this is using it off label and therefore we are using it illegally. This all came about when it was first selected as a chemical to be used in NZ but no one was will to spend the money to go through the process to legally change the treatment period required in NZ.

C8C548A9-3C46-437E-944C-863499BEBF4C.jpeg

Share this comment


Link to comment

MPI have authorised the use of 10 weeks for Apivar. Packs with new labeling will be coming to NZ Beeswax soon.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

sO, THANKS FOR CORRECTING MY MEMORY OF A LONGER PERIOD, I WILL correct the period to 10 weeks.

Regards.

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, tudor said:

sO, THANKS FOR CORRECTING MY MEMORY OF A LONGER PERIOD, I WILL correct the period to 10 weeks.

Regards.

Now all you've got to work on is your caps lock :D

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Now all you've got to work on is your caps lock :D

And the date of the meeting

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×