1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very new Beekeeper

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Peejay, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant The Beekeeper Staff Member Donor 2013

haha, I can imagine it, its bad enough when you wash a dog blanket :rolleyes:
  2. Pbee

Pbee Guard Bee Donor 2013

I would do some research first before I would use non-organic coffee bags! To my knowledge they are fumigated for 'berry borer', with a strong pesticide that could have a detrimental effect on your bees. Washing them first and then let them hang out in the weather for a long time could do the trick?
    Hey Grant, are we allowed to do some 'research' on coffee bags?
  3. Grant

Of course, we were discussing it here earlier too as it happens Fuel for smokers
  4. Roger

Roger Guard Bee Donor 2013

I had read that somewhere as well. The scrim i bought in a roll was brand new and it burns fine. No need to try my luck by delving in the laundry. That is a mission fraught with risk.
  5. Roger

Roger Guard Bee Donor 2013

It was the pesticide residue potential in coffee bean bags that dissuaded me from trying. I think the roll of scrim was about $16 - it'll last years. Find it in the weed mat area at Mega Mitre 10
  6. Pbee

Yes, Grant. But can we do it without slanting pharmaceutical and petrochemical companies?
  7. Grant

Does this help? Terms & Rules
  8. Pbee

9. Grant

The first part is a catch all
  10. Pbee

So what I read is that you take no responsibility for telling a Nu Bee he/she could use coffee bags as fuel for the smoker without warning him/her that there is a potential risk as the bags could be fumigated and could contain pesticides.
    Did I get that right?
  11. Grant

:rofl: it must be late because I've got lost with this now.
    You can do your research but do it in a way that doesn't start upsetting the pharmaceutical and petrochemical companies, because they have a lot more money than I do when it comes to funding court cases.
  12. Pbee

You are mistaking me for Marcia.
  13. ChrisNZ

ChrisNZ Pupa

Seems I have missed all the action. Are we playing slap Grant? :D
  14. Pbee

Brilliant!
    No, just a wee bit of 'keeping on track'!;)
  15. Marcia

Marcia Non member

Getting back to smoker fuel . . . . when I do use my smoker, which is as little as possible, I burn either dried flax flower stems crushed up, dried pine needles or untreated cedar shavings - dried lavender is handy as well !
    Grant and Pbee like this.
  16. Pbee

Good Morning Marcia,
    Flax and Lavender sounds like a good idea. I have plenty of those on the farm. Dried Pine needles and Cedar shavings I find 'carbonate' my smoker (which I too use as little as possible) and I have to scrape out the nozzle ever so often as it builds up.
    Thank you for those recommendations.
  17. ChrisNZ

ChrisNZ Pupa

Agree with that, but you only have to worry when there is more tar in your smoker than there is on the road. Give the smoker a scrape down with a hive tool while it's still hot and it comes off easily enough. :)
    Pbee likes this.
  18. Pbee

Thanks for the advice. I will try that next time I 'light up'! ;)
  19. Peejay

Peejay Larva

Still having confusing things happening. Looked at the hive this morning and a real big clump of bees were attached under the hive onto the bottom board screen - last nights temperature wasn't that hot so not sure whats going on. there are still plenty of bees going in and out of the hive carrying pollen (and hopefully nectar)
  20. Pbee

I've had this on one of my swarms a few weeks back. My presumption is they are too hot. Have a look inside if they have drawn out all the frames. You may have to add another story. This gives them more space and the added story better ventilation. You may even find the queen in the bunch. I would not disturb the 'clump'. They will all make their way back in when the temperture inside the hive is right.
    All comes down to 'experience' - which you will get over time. But that is a great question. Possibly that someone can confirm this or have another idea.
    Yes, plenty of nectar and pollen out there!