1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring an old Pender Bros extractor

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ruatuki, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ruatuki

ruatuki Larva

I have been kindly given an old hand operated extractor.
    extractor.jpg
    It requires a good deal of restoration but is sound. I like its operation.
    top.jpg

I am hoping someone who has already rescued an old extractor might be able to help...

I am thinking of getting the frames powder coated, anything to be aware of?
    The interior of the drum needs attention, can you powder coat inside the drum? Are there any alternatives?

Thank you in advance.

pender-bros.jpg
  2. max2

max2 Egg

I have one in similar condition. . Looking forward to some responses.
  3. Jonathan Franks

Jonathan Franks Egg

Hi There
    Just bought a similar old extractor off Trade me. I used rust remover (Phosphoric Acid), Just brush it on and wash off with water, on the whole thing including the galvanised drum. Came up realy clean. No need to powder coat just give it a good wash down and thoroughly dry before extracting.
    Janice and Chris Valentine like this.
  4. Hobbler

Hobbler House Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Only the thickness of the powder coating (1/4 - 1/3 mm). Will this affect any clearances/tolerances?

[quote="ruatuki, post: 28662, member: 512"
    The interior of the drum needs attention, can you powder coat inside the drum? Are there any alternatives?[/quote]

The powder is sprayed on then baked in an oven. Any powdercoater worth their salt could do this. The restriction would be if the drum could handle the prep. They can advise on that.

More expensive, chrome plating. Unsure of the plating over the galv, the electroplater could advise
  5. kevin moore

kevin moore House Bee

I also have been given one of those,needs a good do over, not too sure what i'am going to do with it, had thought of cutting it up and making into a small portable 2 frame jobby in a plastic bin when i get the time, or perhaps let it go to a good home !
  6. yesbut

yesbut Guard Bee Donor 2013

Good home did I hear you say ?
  7. ruatuki

ruatuki Larva

Jonathon,
    thanks for the reply and advice.
    An enquiry to a powdercoater gave an estimate (and this is ball park only because it was over the phone) of $70 for the drum plus more for the frame holder assembly, perhaps another $70. Sand blasting prep was recommended, this is done by another company at $300 per hour. Having no experience with sand blasting, I don't know whether it would take 15 mins or 2 hours. Even at one hour s/b plus powdercoating and it is getting close to the cost of a new extractor.

A bit more research on the net suggests spray paint with food grade epoxy paint after priming. I have yet to explore availablity and cost of epoxy paint.
    I just started to sand it back by hand this morning. It is not as bad condition as I first thought.
  8. ruatuki

ruatuki Larva

Hobbler, thanks for the help. I don't think clearances would be a problem. I think the cost, especially prep, is the biggest negative with powder coating.
  9. Jonathan Franks

Jonathan Franks Egg

For those kind of prices it would be cheaper to buy a new unit.
  10. Matt

Matt Pupa

Heh I got one like this also..... Not rusty but pretty old, flaking red paint as well.... Gears seem to skip sometimes if Im cranking hard out.
    Any reason you want to powder coat rather than get it galvanised again?
  11. max2

max2 Egg

In Australia I'm not allowed to sell honey if it has been processed in galv equipment. Needs to be SS or food grade plastic. Not sure about powder coating being allowed??
  12. prananz

prananz Pupa Donor 2013

How about just getting a food grade drum off trademe. I bought one, size of an oil drum for about $20. I wanted it for making a smoker so had to burn the food grade lining off. Think it was used for coconut oil.
  13. max2

max2 Egg

The size is not the same - would be good idea