1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

queen excluder question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by phill-k, Feb 14, 2012.

1. phill-k

phill-k Pupa

I hope this is not as contentious as some of the other posts lately:cool:

Do you use them (or not) and can you briefly explain the theory or fact behind your decision.
    Having just gone into my hives today, have discovered drone brood almost exclusively amongst the frames of honey in the first super. The chap I bought the bees from does not like them but I really want to understand peoples reasonings

As an aside to this working away at the computer this morning and a bee flies into the house (I've waxed some frames recently and as we like the smell have them stored in the laundry however we do seem to be getting visited a lot) back to the story, she did a slow flypast between the keyboard and the screen, keyboard being one of apples sexy little white numbers and the bee poo'd on the "i" key bright yellow it was two.:p

2. Cyathea

Cyathea Pupa

Just for clarificarion, you are asking about queen "excluders"? I'll await replies with interest :)

3. Alastair

Alastair Guard Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Just don't say top - bar LOL :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. phill-k

phill-k Pupa

Bugger, was using the mac in the studio and it corrects my atrocious spelling automatically, and I'm one who hates seeing lazy spelling:cool: you are correct I did mean excluder perhaps grant will come along and correct it as I can't edit it now.

5. tony

tony Guard Bee

laughing at the clip alastair, we use them and it suits the way we manage our hives, some and you will hear call them honey excluders but i think theirs no backing behind that because if that were the case their would be alot of bee keepers out of buissness. I can appreiciate that they are another cost and then theres the storage and cleaning but for us i think it speeds up our managment we know the Q 98 % of the time where shes meant to be and we can confidently steel the honey without the fuss of brood & Q finding. I think where a lot of issues about using them is at the start of spring flow they will often not go though them, but again i belive this is a management issue also, as with most things in bee keeping timing is probably the most important factor the more hives you have the trickier this becomes. if you put them on to early they will sometimes ignore that honey box you put on and squish the brood nest down and not go though at all, their are tricks to help like using wet frames ( frames that have been extracted) to draw them though even putting a frame of food above helps but on the most part if your timing is right their are no problems.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Valentine

Chris Valentine Guard Bee

I use them keep the queen and brood out my honey boxes and they are keeped nice and clean (yellow wax not brown Wax) after you had brood in them

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hobbler

Hobbler House Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

I didnt use them this year (my first) but will next year as I have brood in my "honey " super. I forgot to tell Queeney she was limited to the bottom two so she did as she pleased. My logic is, once I have better management experience I may be able to contain the brood to two boxes. Until that time I will use the tools on hand to achieve the goal. I would also like to keep honey frames for honey and brood... well you get it. A bit idealistic but we will see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
  8. Janice

Janice Guard Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

I was taught to use one brood box and a queen excluder, so that's what I started with. But the spring buildup was so quick that I put on second brood boxes on both hives, then split them later. I will keep using excluders because I am not good at finding the queens and I want fewer places to have to look. Plus when I have to treat for varroa I want to know where all the brood is. And last but not least, nice clean honey and white wax with no bee bits in it is good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grant

Grant The Beekeeper Staff Member Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
    On the subject of the mac and the bee poo on the keyboard - are you allowed hives that use space bars instead of full frames ? Then of course you also lend yourself to not being able to apply for an exemption on the basis you don't have windows ...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grant

Grant The Beekeeper Staff Member Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
    I should say i use an excluder. Not only to keep queen in her place but to keep the honey combs free of pollen

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

11. Kiwimana

Kiwimana House Bee Donor 2014

Media:
    I don’t use them generally.

But some of swarms we have picked up are laying loads of brood, which normally doesn’t go beyond the two full brood boxes we have. However, some Queens have been laying in the third box or super.

So I do use them now until the bees have a band of honey at the top of the brood, this band generally acts like a natural Queen Excluder to the Queen. So once you have that band you can generally put the excluder back in your shed.

So my answer to your question is “That it depends on the bees J

I am going to use them this winter at the top of the hive below the Quilt level, but that another story…..See ya…Gary

• Like Like x 1
  12. Beehavn

Beehavn Pupa

Use them mainly to keep the queens apart in a two queen system. Have always found they slow colonies down unless there's a good flow. This can vary from location to location and season. (Typical of beekeeping). They have to be looked after otherwise bent wires will be as good or bad as not having one at all. Generally I don't worry about them between a brood chamber and the honey supers. I use two brood boxes, sometimes each with a queen in it & a QE between. If the queen lays up in the third storey I decide at the time whether the frames with brood in them need to be moved down; perhaps right to the bottom brood box to replace an old frame that can be culled. I then might move honey laden frames to the center of the thrid box and use a frame of drawn comb or foundation to fill up any gap.

Comb that has had at least one cycle of brood in it withstands centrifugal forces in the extracting process much better. This means I don't worry about the queen getting up into the third box. But not too much. If she's not working the bottom box there is a rearrangement process. If you want comb honey QEs are essential. It also means your swarming control has to be well monitored.

• Like Like x 1