1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to freeze drone/varroa brood?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Matt, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Matt

Matt Pupa

My freezer is on duty as a grow cabinet at the moment for my vege seedlings (yes, just veges). Took a couple of frames of drone brood out yesterday. Left them in a spare box outside last night. I suspect as they are beeless and it was 13 degrees or whatever last night the larvae will be dead by now. Guessing the mites as well? I will pop the frames back in next fine day we have so the bees can recycle the larval protein.... Can anyone confirm that its not necessary to freeze drone brood to kill the mites in there?

2. Dave Black

Dave Black Guard Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
  3. Hobbler

Hobbler House Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Found this

http://agdev.anr.udel.edu/maarec/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Varroa_Mites_PMP2.pdf

The relevant part

Female
    mites produced in the summer live 2 to 3 months, and
    those produced in the fall live 5 to 8 months. Without
    bees and brood, the mites can survive no more than 5
    days. They can, however, live in a comb with sealed brood at 68°F for up to 30 days.

68°F is about 20°C

I wouldnt rely on them being dead until about 5 days time assuming once the larvae died they couldnt feed. As Dave said

4. kevin moore

kevin moore House Bee

Interesting i was always off the onion that once they left the bee they had only 2-3 hours to get back on a host - that was way the screen bottom board was used it made it harder for them to get back into the hive

5. AdamD

AdamD Pupa

I don't like the idea of feeding the dead back to a colony. It's certainly not common practice in the UK. Drone comb is usually cut out and removed. Chickens love it!#

One colony of mine on a mesh floor had a high varroa load. It was sitting on a pallet 4" off the ground, on concrete. In hindsight, I suspect the varroa that fell out may have crawled back. The same site ALSO had a high mite count the previous year. (Different hive on the same pallet).
    It's usually suggested that the hive should be 12" off the floor to minimise crawl-back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yesbut

yesbut Guard Bee Donor 2013

Yet our resident expert Dr MG recommends min 50mm drop ??

7. Kiwimana

Kiwimana House Bee Donor 2014

Media:
    Matt,

I have seen them alive after a few days away from the hive, so I would say overnight isn't long enough to kill the mites. Thats why we remove them from our hives, and our freezer is not big enough for frames and its full of dead seagulls (but thats another story) :)

8. Janice

Janice Guard Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

I want the seagull story please.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Derek

Derek Hive Management Staff Member Donor 2013

So do I :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kiwimana

Kiwimana House Bee Donor 2014

Media:
    That’s one of Margarets stories, it involves a rescued bird that died, that we haven’t buried yet. Which freaks me out everytime I’m looking for something for dinner J.

It was hit by a car, and no not ours and we brought him/her home but alas the bird still died.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trevor Gillbanks

Trevor Gillbanks Guard Bee Staff Member Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
    OOOHHH!!! Is that all. I was thinking of a story in the likes of a Dave Black letter.
    Maybe next time.