1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In the workshop (aka Man Shed) today

Discussion in 'Hives & Equipment' started by dansar, Feb 29, 2012.

1. dansar

dansar Guard Bee Staff Member

Media:
    I spent a fun couple of hours in the shed this afternoon and made four FD supers to Langstroth dimensions - the old wood working skills are getting better, no rocking boxes this time:) - now to make frames and wait til spring for a swarm to put in it:D

• Like Like x 2
  2. deejaycee

deejaycee Guard Bee Donor 2013

I gotta give you credit for gameness, dansar! Are you going Hoffman or Simplicity for the frames?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dansar

Media:
    Hi DJC- I will be making simplicity frames. I would love to buy frames but at the moment $$$ are short in our house hold. One thing I have or can make is spare time and the wood costs me nothing as it comes from the scrap bin at work, I just collect pcs as they become available. Thats why I made the Warre hives, lots of short lengths that didnt make Lang dimensions. The frames will be foundationless as well, its reasonably quick to make the stock with jigs made up and doing it in batches. I have ambitions of increasing hives gradually to a point where I derive some income from them and ultimateley give up the day job..............(dream), I figure a few millions bees are easier to deal with than 30 uncooperative staff, unrealistic KPI's etc:)

• Like Like x 6
  4. Grant

Grant The Beekeeper Staff Member Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
    Good onya! I wish I had your skills

5. dansar

Media:
    hehe it all started with lots of firewood and kindling on the floor though:). You soon learn that one had better get good at it or give up cause its hard way to cut up firewood!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trevor Gillbanks

Trevor Gillbanks Guard Bee Staff Member Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
    In the woodturning world we call it "Designer Firewood"

• Like Like x 2
  7. dansar

Media:
    yeah
    lots of weird looking candle stick holders went in that pile as a young fella (I am still this side of 40:), just)

8. Trevor Gillbanks

Trevor Gillbanks Guard Bee Staff Member Donor 2014 Donor 2013

Media:
    I am now on the wrong side of 60. No candle sticks but plenty of bowls and garden dibbles.

9. Shaun

Shaun Guard Bee Donor 2014 Donor 2013

With a desire to improve on untreated pine I have discovered that it is possible to make four 3/4 Depth boxes from a Macrocarpa sleeper ($30 as sold at miter10) Providing that you have the tools and energy to break the sleeper down into planks. (according to my other half, my true vocation is collecting tools and equipment, most recently Bee keeping equipment)

• Like Like x 4
  10. dansar

Media:
    Hi Shaun - I like your thought process:) Hows the Kapiti Coast, are you Otaki, Te Horo, Waikane, Raumati or Paraparaumu based? I spent the first half of my nearly 40 years on this planet in Levin and spent alot of time on the coast with my mates. I miss the Tararuas on the door step.
    Regards
    Daniel

11. Shaun

Paraparaumu based but I have hives in Waikane also. Been living here for the past 8 years and am pretty happy with the area and people though not so impressed with the local council.

12. Shaun

Perfect weather to get into the "Man Cave" to spend a few hours on the lathe and mill to make up an adapter plate for my extractor. I can now fit 3 Manly frames plus 6 standard 3/4 radially in (9 total). Or I can convert it to Tangential and fit 3 x Jumbo frames.

WP_000023.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. tony

tony Guard Bee

Nice job wish i had a lathe

14. Rob

Rob Larva Donor 2014

I wish I had the first idea how to use a lathe! I'm teaching myself to weld at present, so maybe machining will be the next thing ;)

15. kevin moore

kevin moore House Bee

great job, will keep you in mind if i have a small job, What kind of extractor are you using this on?

16. Shaun

Finally some real man cave weather again :) I've had to wait all summer and autumn for the good weather to break into cold wet shed weather ;)
    Spent the last couple of days running Macrocarpa through the machines. Breaking down from rough sawn 200x25 planks to 3/4 box size or breaking down mac sleepers (200x100) into rough planks to put into the rack to air dry for next winters boxes. (y)

• Like Like x 5